Search Unity

TextMesh Pro to texture

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by undefined_error, Feb 11, 2019.

1. undefined_error

undefined_error

Is there any way to get a texture out of a TextMesh Pro object? So to use it as a texture map for a material?

Thank you.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would suggest using a RenderTexture.

There should be a few posts detailing how to set that up.

3. undefined_error

undefined_error

Thank you Stephan for your reply.
    That is what I have been trying to do, but the result isn't that great.

upload_2019-2-12_12-3-50.png

I have been using the TextMeshPro/Distance Field (surface) shader on the mesh material, and playing around with dilate/softness values helps a bit, but looking at the contours it seems clear that the the tilted edges - see "Y" - are well jagged to begin with.

upload_2019-2-12_12-23-22.png

Unless I am doing something very wrong, it doesn't seem like RenderTarget is a good solution for this.
    I feels like it adds and extra trip which invariably worsens quality.

I was hoping there would be a way to avoid it and get a texture straight for a textMeshPro script.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. CelesteMarina

CelesteMarina

This is a very belated reply, but this was in the google search results so I figure it's worth responding to...

I believe what Stephan is referring to is using Graphics.Blit or a similar method to render the SDF material's output to a render texture, *not* capturing the textmesh with a camera to a render texture.

With a bit of playing around, you should be able to use the Distance Field material from your TMP object to render to a texture.

t_tutiya likes this.