Search Unity

TextMesh Pro is now free and to be integrated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dave-Carlile, Feb 28, 2017.

1. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Was it related to the text not updating or getting jumbled on occasion?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Yes. The events which are only used in the editor to handle updating objects as a result of changes to things like font assets and many other things were completely missing. This functionality is essential in the editor.

Although this issue only affected the product in the editor where users were still able to load / run the example scenes and even create builds, I am shocked I didn't get tons of reports on this. If anyone using that version of TextMesh Pro thought it was good despite that critical issue, then they should really enjoy the correctly working version once it gets approved and becomes available in the Asset Store.

P.S. If anyone has mission critical needs for this updated release, please feel free to email me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    zombiegorilla likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, quickly discovered that if I hit play, everything was corrected and worked ok. It really only was odd when I was first setting up fonts. Wasn't sure if was a TMP thing or a general editor thing. In recent versions, the editor occasionally gets a little wonky and doesn't always update some things expected. ;) .

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We're doing this, btw - if you bought TMP since Feb 1st and would like a refund now that it's available for free, head over to support.unity3d.com to open a ticket and the Support team will help you out.

jprocha101, Player7 and hopeful like this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

All this time I just thought it was my Mac bugging out. Nice to know that's getting a fix!

6. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Congrats, Stephan! It's wonderful news!

Stephan_B likes this.
  7. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

New release of the free version of TextMesh Pro is now available on the Asset Store.

I strongly recommend that anyone who has installed the previous release get this new updated version. As I stated before the previous release had a critical issue in the Editor.

Please be sure to backup your project before updating to the new release. You will need to completely remove the previous package by deleting the "TextMesh Pro" folder. Make sure you also back up any Font Asset or files you may have saved in the "TextMesh Pro" folder hierarchy before deleting it.

Please report any issues about this release in the Unity UI section of the user forum.

Once again, sorry about my mistake on the previous release.

ilmario, Kronnect and Ryiah like this.
  8. Player7

Player7

This whole dll thing is stupid.

9. Knightmore

Knightmore

Urgh... this hurts. Bought it end of november but still haven't used it that much and now it is free :rolleyes:

But good work Stephan! You deserved it! :)

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Don't worry Stephan! Glad to see you're around the clock releasing updates fast!

11. pcg

pcg

I see text mesh pro with source is no longer on the store.

@Stephan_B How does this affect the licence for those who bought TMP?

I have a project I'm working on for someone which contains the source version of TMPro and as part of the hand over I'm advising them to purchasing a licence. But as its no longer in the store I'm wondering what to advise.
    Swapping out to the free version at this stage is not really an option.

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Support for the source code version of TextMesh Pro will continue to be available as it has been over the past few years via the TextMesh Pro user forum for those who have purchased the product. If you have not done so already please make sure you register to the TMP user forum. Note that you will need to provide your invoice number to register.

In terms of purchasing additional licenses / access to the source code version for new users, that is still being discussed and I'll provide more details as soon as I have them.

Ryiah and pcg like this.
  13. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Is there a recommended process for converting my ugui text to text mesh pro? I have a lot of prefabs and would like to avoid having to re-enter all text if possible.

larku likes this.
  14. MV10

MV10

There are discussions and utility scripts on the TMP support forum about this.

Stephan_B likes this.
  15. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Found one but it wasn't working. Had to write my own hacky editor code to reduce the grunt work.

16. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Anyone else having issues with Color (Vertex) changing to white when entering play mode in the editor?

17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

That should not be happening so I will need more information on this. Please make a post in the Unity UI section of the forum. Please provide the steps to reproduce the behavior in that post.

18. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

Posted it here.

19. MookieRah

MookieRah

So how do you fix the .dll errors? I tried setting the normal .dll to only work in the editor, and the runtime to only work in the player, but things are still broken...

20. Player7

Player7

err I think I renamed one and got that too compile in a release build but it has errors, so no I didn't fully sort out the plugin dll mess and just removed it and went back to the previous text components where it was changed, atleast until its fixed properly in 5.6.. which it still isn't.

It's a shame all these other details weren't finalized properly before such an announcement. Imo the source should be part of the dealio until the improvements are fully integrated natively and then whatever source/api bits that could be exposed like the current ugui stuff is done. I guess this will be like ngui again fragmented.

21. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I believe the solution was to completely delete existing TMP assets before updating.

Stephan_B likes this.
  22. MookieRah

MookieRah

@zombiegorilla
    I had never used TMP on that computer before and it was an entirely clean project.

23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Maybe a version issue? I honestly never used TMP before it just became free, and haven't had any dll issues. @Stephan-B, is that a known issue?

24. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of Unity are you using?

If you are using Unity 5.6, there is an issue right now which affects all DLL which should be fixed in the next Unity 5.6 release. Once this issue is resolved, I will release a new version of TMP for Unity 5.6.

It is important to realize that the Asset Store actually contains 3 different releases of TMP. One for Unity 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5 as different sets of DLL's are needed for each Unity release. So everytime, you upgrade to a new version of Unity, you will need to also update TMP to match this release of Unity.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is there an ETA to when it will become default included in Unity?

Kronnect likes this.
  26. MookieRah

MookieRah

Aha. Ok, then that is the problem then. Currently using the 5.6.0f1 build, so that explains the .dll issue. I'll patiently wait for the update then.

27. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Phase I being discussed is including the current TMP in the Unity build or perhaps as part of Standard Assets or its own line item / checkbox in the Installer. This would likely happen with the first / second release of Unity 2017.

Having TMP included in Unity or as part of the installer would ensure it remains in sync with those Unity releases which can be an issue when going through the Asset Store which is compounded when using dlls.

Phase II which is what I am now working on is essentially a complete re-write and full integration of TextMesh Pro (its functionality / features) where I will be looking to leverage the full benefits of the closer integration to make new functionality possible, further improve performance and lower memory footprint. Ie. Make it better in all aspects.

There is no current ETA on Phase II since I am just getting started.

The current release of TMP already includes a ton of features over UI Text and Text Mesh and given I'll still be adding features and making further improvements to it while working on the integrated version, this should keep users satisfied during this transition.

As I have stated before, while working on the integrated version of TMP, I will be mindful of existing TMP users to ensure as smooth as possible transition to the integrated version while making sure we can get all the new features / benefits.

Until this new integrated version becomes available, keep on using TextMesh Pro in your projects and providing feedback :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    QFSW, pcg and Kronnect like this.
  28. Treemondo

Treemondo

Hi - I'm on 5.5.2f1 Personal and the version of TMP I download from the Asset Store (I can't see any option for different versions) still gives me the error CS1704: An assembly with the same name :TextMeshPro' has already been imported. Tried various options listed above but no luck. Probably user error but thought I'd mention it..

29. Player7

Player7

No mention of source? on phase1/2

"Phase II which is what I am now working on" ...you could be an inspiration to unity's multiplayer team, they should take note, they've been stuck on unet phase1 for a while without much progress beyond it :D jk

30. GLeBaTi

GLeBaTi

Does TextMesh Pro is replacement of UnityEngine.UI.Text?

31. Flurgle

Flurgle

I figured it would replace the regular text mesh (which sorely needs to be replaced), but good question

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You can use it in place of built-in Text components, yes, but it is not an automatic replacement.

33. DragonSAR2013

DragonSAR2013

Nice, hopefully Unity can continue to integrate great Assets likes of TMP in Unity. It will make Unity the most feature rich Game Engine on the planet.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  34. Bitfabrikken

Bitfabrikken

Seeing a bunch of errors with Unity 2017.1.0b1 and textmesh 1.0.55.0b8 from asset store
    Is there a place on github or similar where I can report bugs?

A few of the errors:
    MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.BeginAnimatedCheck'.
    Assertion failed: Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 36.000000, 0.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 1276 0)

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

As an early beta supporter of textmesh I can only appreciate the many reasons it was purchased for being brought into Unity. It's the best. But I would like to see some some general graphic / glyph support for icons, overlays, ui and so forth. A lot of the UI panel stuff could benefit from SDF, so that's something of a bigger question than text alone for a native Unity feature.

I would never expect it in phase 2, but a further phase, worth bearing in mind at least :)

zyzyx, Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  36. Ryiah

Ryiah

37. ippdev

ippdev

Is there a font set of icons and panels like WingDings and WebDings. These might be quite useful..although for UI widgets they should have the ability to be 9-sliced for resizing.

38. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Font Awesome is a good font of icons and all. See this thread on the TMP user forum.

angrypenguin likes this.
  39. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity made another API change in 2017.1 which requires changes to TextMesh Pro. For those who have access to source code on TextMesh Pro, here is a post that contains the relevant (temporary) changes.

bwheatley likes this.
  40. Player7

Player7

about that source code problem ....how are we meant to get the source code now if we didn't buy tmp before?!?

This was asked before and nothing was said so I'm asking again.

41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Other than users who previously paid for TextMesh Pro or those who have access to source code for Unity, there isn't any way at this time.

One option could have been to keep the paid version of TextMesh Pro with source code available on the Asset Store for purchase but given Unity doesn't sell anything on the Asset Store, this would have set a precedent which I am not sure would have been a good option.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  42. ortin

ortin

But is TMPro going to be a part of UI which is opensourced on bitbucket?

43. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The integrated version of TextMesh Pro (its features / functionality) will not be part of UI since it will be used in the Editor and as replacement for the various text components in Unity which includes TextMesh or 3D Text and UI Text. As such there is no plan to have it added to the UI bitbucket.

44. Player7

Player7

Well precedent set now is unity bring on board an addon that originally came with source, users only get access to closed source version, while the addon with source is no longer available ..are they even aware they put out ugui source code.. I know its neglected from updates let alone improvements but jeez it was put out there so developers could fix there own problems and add there own tweaks and improvements.. now users who bought it before have access to quicker fixes, while all other users can't get the source anymore, and have to wait on things to be improved/ fixed while hearing about such fixes already being available to those with source. And ontop of that, instead of just being able to make the kind of changes we would otherwise be able to do with ugui source https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/ui/overview cannot be done if you use tmp to improve default text, as the addon does crossover with ugui components where we are able to make such source modifications... such as text input handling, caret etc

Honestly its a bit of a S*** precedent is all, to offer something free but in closed crippled form that wasn't that way before.. and it does make me question what is going to happen with ugui source when parts of this addon replace it without source available anymore.. we just have to wait for a few months or go back to default ugui blur text if we want to modify handling ux, ui styling etc where things that this addon replaces with its own handling of those same ugui components are now closed off again. Not good kinda dumb actually

45. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity in general has been moving more towards open source and when this new integrated version is ready, we'll see where we end up.

The fact that the free version of TextMesh Pro is in dll form is specific to TextMesh Pro and related to the product being available for purchase on the Asset Store before. This should not be seen as any change in thinking on the part of Unity in terms of open source and all.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    TanselAltinel likes this.
  46. anicecompany

anicecompany

@Stephan_B (I'm using an old modified version). I hope that localization will be supported, that is text fields automatically changes fonts and their assets at run time.
    Also pleeease, multiple thick good looking outlines, without the need for creating a new texture material. Same goes for Drop shadows etc.
    Congratulations on your success!

47. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

In order to have different visual styles for each of your fonts, you should be using Material Presets which are just materials which all reference the same font atlas texture. Using Material Presets avoids resource duplication and is very efficient given material are lightweight.

48. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

I already had Text Mesh pro in my UNity 5.4 project, then when i upgrade to unity 5.5.3 now im getting lots of errors about text Mesh pro already exist. so I delete the TextMesh pro folder from my project.

now its says errors like it cant find import TMPro, and also the individual components do not exist like TMP_**** how can I still use those???

Is there a place where it tells you the steps on fixing this??? Thanks

49. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

If you purchased TextMesh Pro in the past, you should continue to use the version with source code which as I have stated in several posts / threads, I will continue to support and update. Updates will continue to be available on the TextMesh Pro user forum as they have been over the past several years.

If you have not already done so, please take the time to register on the TextMesh Pro user forum. You will need to provide your invoice number in order to be approved. Once approved, you will find the latest releases of TMP in the "TMP - Alpha, Beta and Final Releases" section of the user forum.

Once you have updated to the latest release, please make a post on the TMP user forum if you still have issues. Be sure to review the release notes and upgrade notes.

50. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Yes i would like to continue using the old TextMesh pro i downloaded from asset store, but seems unity 5.5 as one built in somewhere too, anybody knows how i can disable the one that is already in unity, so I can keep using mine?

Thanks