Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Textmesh pro is not updating when changing text programatically

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Ledrec, Aug 24, 2017.

1. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Despite everything written in this thread, I still have no solution to my problem, but I know what I want to do at least.

I am trying to programmatically change the Text Input value of a TextMeshProUGUI game object. My only problem now is that I do not know how to reach the TMP_InputField of the game object in my script.
    I should add that I am attempting to change the input field inside a OnCollisionEnter2D event listener

- When I [SerializeField] TMP_Inputfield in my script, the editor will not allow me to drag a game object of type TextMeshProUGUI onto it. Makes sense. Can I drag a TMP_InputField from anywhere?

- When I [SerializeField] TextMeshProUGUI in my script, I can drag the game object onto it, but using .GetComponent<TMP_InputField> just results in an empty object reference.

What am I doing wrong? How do I solve this?

xucian and megame_dev like this.
  2. TheHighlander

TheHighlander

Forget the TMP_InputField stuff. All I have done now is change the sprite asset reference from

<sprite name = "sprite_name_0">

to

<sprite=0>

NOTE: do not use < sprite = 0 > (with spaces) because the parser won't accept it apparently.

3. Arslan_JEU_Tech

Arslan_JEU_Tech

i am trying to update the tmp pro text ...... because my requirement is when the player collect the coins it should be should on the next level and i am trying to implement this functionality.......
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.UI;
    5. using TMPro;
    7. public class coincollecter : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     public int coinsCollected =0;
    10.     [SerializeField]
    11.     private TMP_Text  coinstotal;
    13.    static int total;
    15.     private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    16.     {
    18.         if (other.gameObject.CompareTag("coin"))
    19.         {
    20.             coinsCollected++;
    21.             Destroy(other.gameObject);
    22.             coinstotal.text = coinsCollected.ToString();
    23.             PlayerSavedData.score_coins = coinsCollected;
    24.          //   Debug.Log("coins total on trigger " + PlayerSavedData.score_coins);
    25.             PlayerSavedData.double_score_coins = coinsCollected * 2;
    27.         }
    28.     }
    29.     public void singlecoinbuttonclicked()
    30.     {
    32.        // Debug.Log("Single coin button is clicked ");
    33.         Debug.Log("coins total on single coin button clicked " + PlayerSavedData.score_coins);
    35.         coinstotal.text = PlayerSavedData.score_coins.ToString();
    37.     }
    38.     public void doublecoinbuttonclicked()
    39.     {
    40.         coinstotal.text = PlayerSavedData.double_score_coins.ToString();
    41.     }
    43. }

4. madpwnhammerBit

madpwnhammerBit

In my case, the problem was in how I update my text. I used "System.Timers.Timer" to update text with intervals, but this approach cause problem with text (it's updated in inspector, but not updated in game). Then I try to move text update in Coroutine and it works fine. I think it's somehow related to multithreading, but I didn't investigate so deep.

5. iQlt

iQlt

Hello from 2023... Cannot update timer in TextMeshProUGUI text, it just doesn't set the value. Sets only during Scene loads.

Tried all the solutions from this thread:

gameObject.SetActive false/true
    ForceMeshUpdate()
    Setting text in Update method
    Setting text via Coroutine
    Setting text via InvokeRepeating
    Disabling Auto Size
    UnityMainThreadDispatcher.Instance().Enqueue(() => _text.SetText(text));

Already spent 5 hours. How is it possible, that such basic functionality as TextLabel is so buggy in this game engine?

And it's worth to mention that in Editor everything works fine, the real problems starts when it comes to Android.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  6. xucian

xucian

for me, sometimes the issue was running it from a different thread, but sometimes it was just weird errors which I could only find via attaching the debugger and going step-by-step.
    in an extreme case, I was just destroying the text and creating a new one -- this was near a critical release and we had to move fast. hope this helps somewhat

7. ceciliagabriellecolley

ceciliagabriellecolley

I encountered the same problem when using Legacy text. I made revisions to a few lines of dialogue in an array of strings, but these changes didn't reflect in the game. I attempted to resolve this by deleting the Legacy Text Game Object and starting over, but the issue remains unresolved. My next step is to copy the code into a new script and see If that will work. I have also gone through everyone else's solutions, but none have worked for me.

xucian likes this.
  8. mimuraunity

mimuraunity

Thanks for the quick resolution. People like you are the best.

xucian likes this.
  9. filod

filod

Wow, the "empty string not updating issue" still lingers in 2023.3.0b1, what a ghost, how does this even acceptable by everyone.....

xucian likes this.
  10. xucian

xucian

I guess it's just priorities.
    I agree bugs like this are too easy not to be fixed (although I didn't look into the actual source code, but it's definitely a small fix), even if they're not tagged as "critical"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  11. Whatever560

Whatever560

In our case, the issue came even if we had some tags set, just added a trailing whitespace to our templating system works. Tried everything else.
    From "<color=#fff>" to "<color=#fff> "

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  12. clever

clever

it's ridiculous that this issue has been going on for years and yet no action from @Unity to solve the darn thing! too busy with bells and whistles and forgetting the core problems!!