Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro TextMesh Pro "Hybrid" System

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Chromega1, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Chromega1

Chromega1

Hello!

I've been seeing some mentions of a "hybrid" system in TextMesh Pro for handling dynamic fonts. That's very exciting! Is there a planned release/timeline for this feature to go live?

I fully understand the drawbacks to dynamic fonts (I've avoided them in my past projects), but this project has some features which require it (like localization into many languages combined with multiuser chat). Depending on the timeline for this feature, I may need to avoid TMPro and find other/roll my own extensions for the text effects we want on top of the current built-in Unity system or something, but I have a strong preference for sticking with TMPro if possible!

Thanks!

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This is something that I am actually working on as we speak. I am hoping to have something ready as part of a future release of TextMesh Pro for Unity 2018.x.

I will provide an update on this within the next 14 days.

Chromega1 likes this.
  3. Chromega1

Chromega1

Hello! I'm wondering if there are any updates or if I should hang tight a bit longer.

Thanks!

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Still working on this. I'll provide an update as soon as I have more information to share.

5. kaarloew

kaarloew

This seems to be live in 2018.3, are there any additional details you could share to us?

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The latest package release of TMP with Dynamic SDF support isn’t available yet.

I am still making minor tweaks to the package and taking the opportunity to try to address as many user reported issues on previous versions of TMP while continuing to test the new package. Assuming I don’t run into any unforeseen issues, I expect the new package to be available in the next 7 to 10 days.

In terms of what to expect, see the following video

kaarloew likes this.
  7. VladimirGordeev

VladimirGordeev

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Simple miss communication and I apologize for that.

9. goldbug

goldbug

@Stephan_B In the 2018.3 announcement it says "It ships with a new highly optimized Font Generator that enables the generation of glyphs at runtime"

So it can do it at runtime? I can ship TTF fonts with my mobile games and the glyphs will be rendered at runtime?
    What about using the native fonts/emoji instead?

10. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

When a font asset is set to Dynamic, the source font file will be included in the build which will enable TMP to fetch / raster / add those glyphs and characters into the font asset at runtime.

If you have not already done so, take the time to watch the video linked above.

After this new release is available, I'll be working on adding support to access native font files on the devices. I will also be working on adding the ability to raster colored glyphs to enable the system to also extract, raster and add these emojis into the font assets at runtime.

11. goldbug

goldbug

@Stephan_B I did watch it, but everything in that video is editor time, not runtime.

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The Font Asset Creator is still editor only but the ability to extract glyph and character data, rasterizing and adding these to their respective font asset / fallback and atlas texture is runtime.

goldbug likes this.
  13. wuhuan

wuhuan

Can support unity 5.6?

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unfortunately not. It will be available for Unity 2018.3 and up.

15. RMGK

RMGK

Any timeframe for when the Dynamic SDF will be available?

16. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Trying to release it within the next few days (early next week) if not, a preview of it next week.

17. RMGK

RMGK

Sorry to bother mate but any idea when this will be released? I am still not seeing it in the package manager.

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Pushing to staging today ... recording a video and then if all goes well and I uncover no major issues, the package will be released late today.

19. RMGK

RMGK

My man!!! Thank you!

20. RMGK

RMGK

How did the push go? Can we expect an update soon?

21. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

It has been released as per the title of the top sticky post :)

22. RMGK

RMGK

Sorry mate, just to clarify, where can I find it? Package Manager in 2018.3.x or 2019.1 beta?

23. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity 2018.3 and up via the package manager.

I actually go over the package upgrade process in the main video linked in that first post.

RMGK likes this.
  24. RMGK

RMGK

kaarloew and Stephan_B like this.