Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Textmesh Pro disappears on Scene Save

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Deleted User, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity 2021.1.2f1, tmp v3.0.4
    Hitting on ctrl + s makes all the text from tmp disappear from the scene and game view. But returns in play mode and persists after exiting play mode until you hit ctrl + s again.
    This extremely frustrating bug is not present in version 2020 and below.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Does this appear to happen with any font asset?

Are you able to reproduce this in a new project?

What are the steps to reproduce it?

This sounds like an old bug which first appeared in Unity 5.4. It appeared to have been fixed but then resurfaced in one of the early releases of Unity 2018. I guess it might be back in 2021. This issue wasn't specific to TMP but to a reference to the texture getting lost between the native and managed side.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry for the delay.
    The issue started when I updated the project from 2019.4.17f1 to 2021.1.2f1. Besides some shaders that were a bit broken and easy to fix and TMP disappearing, everything went great.

I can reproduce it in a new project. Kind of.
    You just have to create a font asset with characters that will be missing.
    The first time you generated a font with ASCII, you might get missing characters, that's why (i think) it disappears on save.
    The second time you go into the same font asset, you see that you no longer have ASCII selected, but rather the Unicode Range option with automatically filled Character Sequence.
    If you hit generate and save now, you will no longer have missing characters, and the bug seems to disappear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2021
    reinfeldx likes this.
  4. Futureblur

Futureblur

Same issue, it's really annoying. I have to manually disable and enable the TMP Text component.

5. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

Is there any update on this? Started happening to me now, never happened before. I don't know how to make it stop