Search Unity

TextMesh Pro always reimport the fonts (setup kerning values)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by studentutu, Aug 9, 2019.

1. studentutu

studentutu

Good afternoon everyone,
    I have a problem :
    Unity 2019.2.0f1, TextMesh Pro 2.0.1
    Each time I open the Unity Editod TextMesh Pro always reimport the fonts (setup kerning values)

Please, Help! It takes almost ten minutes just to start the editor now!

upload_2019-8-9_14-10-13.png

2. studentutu

studentutu

Need to test - but it seems if you make a dynamic font both in TextMeshProAsset and the font itself - the problem seems to be gone.... Please, need your advice!

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The above message "Hold on..." and importing of kerning values comes from the Unity Font Importer and not TextMesh Pro.

I am not sure why this message would keep re-appearing. What were the settings of that particular font in the Font Importer?

4. studentutu

studentutu

I figured it out - I switched to new Unity 2019.2 with old package (simply deleted library and fixed the version in project version) - you need to download latest TextMesh Pro - and reimport the essential tools!

5. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

I have this problem too, in 2019.2.17f1.

Nearly every time Unity rebuilds in-editor (which is quite often, as this happens every time I change a script!), it says "Hold on..." and "Setting up kerning values for font 'Arial'", then"Hold on..." and "Setting up kerning values for font 'Liberation Sans'" (I typed the messages in full to help people find this post from Google). This process takes approximately 2 minutes for me, but happens most times I change any script or do anything to cause Unity to rebuild.

I agree with Stephan_B and don't think this has anything to do with TextMesh Pro, as the fonts that are causing these messages are a different set of fonts than what I use in TMP. The dialogue also matches the other Unity built-in dialogue boxes, such as "Importing small assets." rather than those of TextMesh Pro.

I can confirm that deleting Library and letting Unity regenerate it seems to have fixed this problem. I will reply again if the issue comes back up. I hope my input helps anyone who might have stumbled onto this post with the same issue.

Unity_rcE1ThKuJg.png

nischita likes this.
  6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Thank you for sharing this information.

I'll ask around to see what might have changed on the import side that would cause this new behavior.

7. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

No problem, and thank you for looking into it :)

The issue was gone for the rest of the day yesterday after I let Unity regenerate Library, but it came back today. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I need to figure out a way to reproduce the behavior. Something is causing this re-import on the Unity side but not sure what.

Can you submit a bug report and include a project that will enable me to reproduce the behavior?

9. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

Ok. My current laptop is out of disk space so I can't dupe my project for a repro project until my new one gets here (in a few days), but then if all goes well I will minimize my project and submit it in a bug report as a repro project within a few days. I'll reply here when I do or if I run into trouble.

10. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

My new computer got here today but I haven't made the repro project yet. However, I did find out some more information which I think could be helpful.

First, the reimport dialogues begin with an "Importing small assets." dialog that flashes quickly.

Second, there are at least two more fonts that are being reimported: Bebas and Open Sans. Their dialogue boxes flash by really quickly, especially Bebas. I had to screen capture and frame-by-frame in order to see what font it was. The order is Bebas, Arial, Open Sans, and then Liberation Sans.

Third, sometimes the reimport happens just by leaving play mode with no script changes.

And finally and most significantly, if I try to save while the reimport is still happening, I get a Unity-internal exception with a stack trace. I will attach screenshots of the exception and the code line that throws it. It is in the LWRP code in a static method called ReimportAllMaterials, and I am indeed using LWRP (and the experimental 2D renderer), so take that as you will. I hope this helps and I still plan to make a repro project as soon as I get a chance.

vlc_ofgffmyfTV.png AnqFj7Sw5q.png devenv_nyj64cBmLW.png

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Good find and very interesting :confused:

I would strongly suggest submitting a bug report as this is something the Graphics team (those handling SRP) should take a look at.

12. eTech3D

eTech3D

13. eTech3D

eTech3D

Hi,
    I want to submit a bug report, but my project is huge (3 GB), is there any other way?

14. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

That's the reason why I haven't submitted a bug report yet either. However, I may have just solved this. Here is the relevant Unity-internal code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     class MaterialReimporter : Editor
    2.     {
    3.         const string Key = "LWRP-material-upgrader";
    5.         [InitializeOnLoadMethod]
    6.         static void ReimportAllMaterials()
    7.         {
    8.             //Check to see if the upgrader has been run for this project/LWRP version
    9.             PackageManager.PackageInfo lwrpInfo = PackageManager.PackageInfo.FindForAssembly(Assembly.GetAssembly(typeof(LightweightRenderPipeline)));
    10.             var lwrpVersion = lwrpInfo.version;
    11.             var curUpgradeVersion = PlayerPrefs.GetString(Key);
    13.             if (curUpgradeVersion != lwrpVersion)
    14.             {
    15.                 string[] guids = AssetDatabase.FindAssets("t:material", null);
    17.                 foreach (var asset in guids)
    18.                 {
    19.                     var path = AssetDatabase.GUIDToAssetPath(asset);
    20.                     AssetDatabase.ImportAsset(path);
    21.                 }
    22.                 PlayerPrefs.SetString(Key, lwrpVersion);
    23.             }
    24.         }
    25.     }
    Note that it checks PlayerPrefs to see if it needs to update. In my code, I am clearing PlayerPrefs every time the game starts in the editor with PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll(); therefore, it always thinks it is out of date.

dan_ginovker and eTech3D like this.
  15. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

The spam filter is preventing me from editing my previous message, saying my edit is "spam like". Please read "starts in the editor" as "runs while in Unity Editor".

16. eTech3D

eTech3D

Me too, I think that's the reason...If I deactivate PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll() in the editor, it seems no more annoying reimporting heppening.
    Thank you for the find

AmyGilhespy and Stephan_B like this.
  17. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

No problem, I'm glad that fixed it for you too. I also haven't had the annoying reimport since removing PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll() from my startup code either.

Stephan_B, should I still file a bug report? It's not exactly intuitive or expected that LWRP is using PlayerPrefs internally, but I'm not sure this counts as a bug anymore. Now that I know what was causing this to happen, it should be much easier to make a repro project from scratch instead of having to strip down my game.

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I would still suggest submitting a bug report with repro project if possible but for certain pointing to this thread for the QA folks to review.

Make sure to identify the issue as being related to LWRP and the use of PlayerPrefs.

19. AmyGilhespy

AmyGilhespy

20. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

21. Deleter

Deleter

Got the same annoying problem when i change my building platform... it's making things with fonts for like 10 minutes

22. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

That is not TMP doing it but the legacy text system / font importer.

I believe a bug has already been submitted on this. I will double check the status and provide an update once I have more information.

23. Polaaa

Polaaa

any updates?

pacoms likes this.
  24. pacoms

pacoms

Our team is being hit by this issue (long times reimporting fonts for every platform switch) significantly - any updates?

25. pacoms

pacoms

(using 2021.2.6f1)

26. sebas77

sebas77

yeah some thing happens here when changing platform

upload_2022-4-4_14-23-32.png

noio likes this.
  27. datablob

datablob