Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

TextLayout.SetEntityTextRendererString with dynamic strings (FixedString)

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by collinmmckinney, Feb 9, 2021.

1. collinmmckinney

collinmmckinney

Hi, I'm using the new Tiny.UI features, and I have run into one issue. Is there a way to set the value of a text renderer's text to be a FixedString4096? I have user input for entering a name, and I'd like to be able to use that value (which I have saved as a FixedString4096 on a data component) in the UI. When I try to use that FixedString4096 with SetEntityTextRendererString I of course get "cannot convert from FixedString4096 to string."
    My issue here might be a misunderstanding of how FixedStrings work, or maybe my approach is wrong.

I would love some help on a work around for this issue as it is pretty essential to my game that I can display names as entered by the user.

2. LeeThomason

LeeThomason

Unity Technologies

Collin, that's an oversight in the API, regrettably. I'll get that fixed - in the meantime, you can call FixedString.ToString().

3. v_vuk

v_vuk

Unity Technologies

Yep, you're doing all the right things -- we're just missing some API paths. Using FixedString will also let you avoid creating garbage collected memory, so that when we do have a pure FixedString path in the future it will be able to be Burst compiled as well.

One thing to note though.. using a FixedString4096 means that you're using 4k bytes for every name, regardless of its length. That seems too long for names in a game. Maybe consider FixedString128 or FixedString512?

4. collinmmckinney

collinmmckinney

Thank you both! I didn't realize that FixedString.ToString() worked -- that's exactly what I was looking for. And I will definitely revisit the size of the strings, that's a great point. Thanks!