Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Textbook for Game Programming?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by carmine, Mar 16, 2019.

1. carmine

carmine

I've been teaching Game Design for a couple years now. It was for a BFA/MFA program. I'll be teaching a new Intro to Game Programming class in the Computer Science department (BS/MS).

I'm looking for a textbook that covers the basic math stuff (vectors, matrixes) so they have a good foundation, and then gets into the various aspects of Game Programming.

(I've been using Unity since version 4, and programming for a couple decades)

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

A little late, but: if these students have had even a year of programming, they should be able to read the API pretty well, as long as they understand what they do: update loop, colliders, the physics system and how it's automatic, raycasting. Does the school have a good Com Sci program? (or are they using Java as an intro language?)

I think many game programming textbooks have the coding on a level way below what a 2nd-year Com Sci major already knows. 2nd years would take 2 seconds to fully understand Vector3, including how it's for position, rotation and scale, since it's just a type. A few game books go into vast detail about pathfinding, matrixes, AI weighting on a grid - that seems meant for experience gamed designers. I don't think new courses are always expected to have a textbook. A syllabus, yes.

3. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

Generally faculty recommends books, and this helps students. Some departments have created open access textbooks too. In case it's of any use this is a decently good computer science book on game design. Some of the free/paid courses available online are also very useful. You just have to find suitable material.