Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Textbook for Game Programming?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by carmine, Mar 16, 2019.

1. carmine

carmine

I've been teaching Game Design for a couple years now. It was for a BFA/MFA program. I'll be teaching a new Intro to Game Programming class in the Computer Science department (BS/MS).

I'm looking for a textbook that covers the basic math stuff (vectors, matrixes) so they have a good foundation, and then gets into the various aspects of Game Programming.

(I've been using Unity since version 4, and programming for a couple decades)

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

A little late, but: if these students have had even a year of programming, they should be able to read the API pretty well, as long as they understand what they do: update loop, colliders, the physics system and how it's automatic, raycasting. Does the school have a good Com Sci program? (or are they using Java as an intro language?)

I think many game programming textbooks have the coding on a level way below what a 2nd-year Com Sci major already knows. 2nd years would take 2 seconds to fully understand Vector3, including how it's for position, rotation and scale, since it's just a type. A few game books go into vast detail about pathfinding, matrixes, AI weighting on a grid - that seems meant for experience gamed designers. I don't think new courses are always expected to have a textbook. A syllabus, yes.

3. Zo_ey

Zo_ey

Generally faculty recommends books, and this helps students. Some departments have created open access textbooks too. In case it's of any use this is a decently good computer science book on game design. Some of the free/paid courses available online are also very useful. You just have to find suitable material.

unityunity