Search Unity

Bug Text/Sprite shader missing when creating new Sprite Asset

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by norgalyn, Mar 14, 2021.

1. norgalyn

norgalyn

Hi, I am using 2021.2.0a8 and when attempting to create a Sprite Asset by right clicking a sprite > Text > Sprite Asset, I get a null pointer exception due to SpriteAssetCreationMenu attempting to create a material with shader called "Text/Sprite", which does not exist. I do not have any UI package installed.
    This prevents me from using any sprite assets as I can't create the necessary material myself either.

2. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello, a fix for this issue is done and should be out in a new version soon!

3. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

I'm having this issue in 2021.2.0b6. When will the fix be out?
    upload_2021-8-4_19-3-15.png
    Looks like regression as it's working in Unity where UI Toolkit was a package.
    Does it mean that we can't use <sprite> until this will be fixed?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    MousePods likes this.
  4. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @RunningIVlan! There's a fix incoming that will be backported to 2021.2. Unfortunately, it's indeed a regression. I just tested it, and it seems like the SpriteAssets created in the package are still working in 2021.2. Creating new SpriteAssets will not, though.

As a temporary workaround, you could drag and drop the Sprite shader from the com.unity.textcore package into your project. (com.unity.textcore/Shaders/Sprite.shader) Just don't forget to remove it once we have fixed the issue.

RunninglVlan likes this.
  5. RunninglVlan

RunninglVlan

Confirming, can't reproduce this bug in 2021.2.0b15