Search Unity

Question Text missing on Apple M1 mac builds

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by monstercouch, Dec 14, 2020.

1. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

I'm noticing the new preview release is only available on builds that are 2022.1+ or greater. I'm on 2021.2. Does this mean I won't get access unless I upgrade?
    upload_2021-12-3_23-46-11.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The latest preview release for Unity 2020.3 or newer is version 3.2.0-pre.x. Hoping to release preview 3 this week.

Version 4.0 is a special version (not the latest) and only for those users looking to use UI Toolkit and sharing resources between UI Toolkit and TMP.

There is an Upgrade Note which must be read before using this special version of TMP which is below.

*** READ BEFORE UPGRADING ***
    This preview version of the TextMeshPro package is for users seeking to use both UI Toolkit and TextMeshPro in the same project.

DO NOT UPGRADE to this new release unless you are planning on using UI Toolkit and sharing resources between TMP and UITK.

This new release uses new asset types that are no longer included in the package and now instead included with the Unity Editor itself. As such, you will no longer have access to the source code for these assets, editors and other related script files.

In order to share resources between TMP and UITK, existing TMP resources such as TMP_FontAssets, TMP_SpriteAssets, and other TMP assets will need to be converted to these new internal asset types along with remapping of their GUID.

All scripts and project files referencing these TMP assets will be updated via the Unity API Updater. Since these changes cannot be undone, please BE SURE TO BACKUP YOUR PROJECT before updating to this new release.\n\nOnce the Unity API Updater has run, you will need to restart the Unity editor for this asset migration process to complete.\n\nTMP Essential Resources and TMP Examples & Extras have been updated in this release and should be re-imported.

3. archlinuxusa

archlinuxusa

Hate to report that I am experiencing this issue after updating my project to Unity 2021.2.7f1 on M1 systems.
    When building Windows everything works as expected.
    M1 = No UI Text whatsoever in builds. Within editor gameplay the text does appear.

Any advice?

4. vice39

vice39

Months later, running into this exact problem. Release version of TestMeshPro is unusable on Apple Silicone, and the preview versions are broken in many other ways (fonts showing squares instead of letters, fonts with smeared bottoms, etc). Any ideas?

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Which version of the TMP package are we talking about here?

As per the package Upgrade Note, have you updated the TMP Essential Resources as shaders have been updated.

6. HidingGlass

HidingGlass

This worked for me. Absolutely saved my life tonight.

Would be great if this was patch fixed without needing to go through the big upgrade/migration. (currently on 3.0.6 - 2021.3.6f1).

7. Elyaradine

Elyaradine

If I were to replace the in-world UI with World Space canvases, so that they're also using TextMeshProUGUI components, do you think this would also fix this problem?

So, to be clear, I'd have an Overlay canvas with my general UI, and World Space canvases with in-world text and sprites, but none of them would be using TextMeshPro components, only TextMeshProUGUI components.

(I would test this out myself, but unfortunately don't have an M1 Mac readily available, so I thought I'd ask if it would theoretically work.)

8. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

I'm experiencing this issue on the latest 2022 LTS on an M1 Macbook Air.
    I do not have any TextMeshPro components in my scene besides the UGUI ones on screen space overlay canvases.
    I am using TMP 3.0.6 as that is the latest available in Package Manager.

Has there been any work on this front?
    Thank you!

9. JudahMantell

JudahMantell

I changed the material shaders to Distance Field Overlay like someone suggested, and while this fixes the issue on my Macbook, when I pull the project onto my Windows machine (building for both MacOS and Windows), then the fonts are always visible regardless of the object's position in the hierarchy.
    Very frustrating bug that should be fixed :/

@Stephan_B Any updates on this?
    Like I said in the previous post, I do not have any other preview TMP packages available in the Package Manager to update to nor do I have any non UGUI TMP objects in the scene.

Thank you!!

10. Supernuija

Supernuija

I did recently notice that if one creates a windowed app for M1 macbooks without setting the font materials to Distance Field Overlay, fonts are missing only when the app opens but come visible if window size is changed at all. It seems like some kind of screen refreshing issue. I did use Unity 2021.3.24f1 on a Windows computer to create the Mac apps, and the mac had the latest macOS Sonoma 14.3.X version.