Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text Mesh Pro not showing on Android (Unity 5.6.1)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by StrawberryJellyfish, Jun 22, 2017.

1. StrawberryJellyfish

StrawberryJellyfish

Hello everyone!
    I just upgraded to Unity 5.6.1 (from 5.5) and I'm having some strange issues with Text Mesh Pro.
    Hopefully the famous Stephan_B would help me out ;)!

Some Background
    When I first upgraded, I encountered this issue. I used the solution on post #9 suggested by Skjalg, but then I realized something else.

In my game, I have a TMP Dropdown Menu. Before the upgrade, everything was flawless. Now, however, the text in the open dropdown menu has some issues. On the editor, the text becomes blurry at some key places, which becomes very noticeable when zoomed out. More importantly the text doesn't show on Android at all. They appear as just boxes.

Here are some pictures of the issue on the editor:

I tried the solution suggested in this thread, but it also didn't help:
    Interestingly, this strange issue only affects the text in the menu's dropdown section, not the menu's header. It certainly doesn't have to do with the font, because the issue is persistent among different fonts.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Due to the change and addition of the "Additional Shader Channels" in Unity 5.6, you also need to upgrade your version of TextMesh Pro to the version for Unity 5.6. Did you upgrade to this new version?

If you have not upgraded yet, please be sure to read the release and upgrade notes and most importantly always backup your project first as well as any files / assets you may have saved inside the "TextMesh Pro" folder hierarchy as you will need to remove (delete) the previous version of TMP.

3. StrawberryJellyfish

StrawberryJellyfish

Thanks for the reply.
    I am having the issue that you explained in the first post I linked to (about the asset store believing that I'm still in Unity 5.5); could you please send me the Unity 5.6 version? I'm supposing I'd have to PM you?

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The Asset Store bug should have been solved. So I suggest you remove (delete) the current TextMesh Pro package (the "TextMesh Pro" folder and then import again from the Asset Store. Since the DLL is now named according to the version provided by the Asset Store, it is easy to identify if you have the correct one or not. For instance, the DLL for Unity 5.6 would be TextMeshPro-1.0.55.56.0b10

5. StrawberryJellyfish

StrawberryJellyfish

I dunno... I'm still getting the 5.5 DLLs.

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Presuming that you are using Unity 5.6 in the screenshot, I guess the Asset Store bug remains for whatever reason.

To get the latest release for Unity 5.6, just send me a PM with your email address and the version of Unity for which you want the release of TMP.

7. LilGames

LilGames

I am trying to find out if there is a performance hit using TMP on Android versus sticking to the default Unity text?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Provided you are using either the Mobile or Normal Distance Field shader (ie. not one of the surface distance field which interact with scene lighting), the performance when using plain white text should be about the same. If you were using the UI Effects like Shadow or Outline with UI Text then TMP will provide much better performance.

9. BeastBurst

BeastBurst

Hello is it possible to send the latest version of TMP to my email as well: vivas . indsutries @ gmail . com ?

10. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Links to download the latest release of TMP are available in the top sticky post in the Unity UI & TextMesh Pro section of the user forum.