Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text Mesh Pro Dozens of errors with Unity 2019.1

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MikeUpchat, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Enzi

Enzi

Thanks for the step-by-step guide David!
    I'd just like to add that if you have any references to TMPro from code, I had to remove them ALL otherwise the build process wasn't able to finish and I was still stuck with the Task error.
    After removing the references the build process finished and I could import essentials and fix the missing fonts with the remapping tool.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Going from Legacy version of TMP (ie. 2017 and earlier) to 2019 is a massive step.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

This fix the problem for me thanks.

4. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Hi @Stephan_B

as mentioned in the other thread, this error is still persistent on my project.

It was a Unity 2018.3 project, which has been upgraded to Unity 2019.1.2f1. I still get the error (TextMesh Pro 2.0.1):

Code (CSharp):
    2. Library/PackageCache/com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1/Scripts/Editor/TMP_SettingsEditor.cs(332,91): error CS0407: 'Object TMP_ResourceImporterProvider.GetTMPSettings()' has the wrong return type
    The project has been on .NET 4.x runtime since beginning. Fun fact: If I remove the Library folder, I can build the project exactly once, after that the error appears again. Or, if I remove the Library folder, open the project and switch to another platform, then the error appears as well.

I can not build the project on Unity Cloud Build as well, get the same error there.

I'd be happy to hand over the project to you, if you want to take a closer look.

However, I do not get the error, if I create a new project with Unity 2019.1 and update to TextMeshPro 2.0.1

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Please submit a bug report with the included project and the steps to reproduce the error. Please provide me with the case # once you have it.

6. ManuelRauber

ManuelRauber

Case 1153646. Submitted that one 3 days ago, with 2.0.1-preview of TextMesh Pro. If you need the current project with update to 2.0.1-release, I can provide that as well.

7. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Can confirm this issue and the workaround with Bolt 1.4.3f2 and Unity 2019.1.2f1.

8. ImbaGame

ImbaGame

I confirm this too. Can use 1.3.0 to workaround

9. zhollis21

zhollis21

Changing the project settings to use .Net 4 fixed the issue for me!

Stephan_B likes this.
  10. hellfull

hellfull

That worked. Thanks a lot

Stephan_B likes this.
  11. colorurlife2013

colorurlife2013

Thanks for this solution. I tried all the changes in the new 2019 version but the above steps worked out absolutely fine.

12. Paul_Bronowski

Paul_Bronowski

I can repro on Unity 2018.4.2f1. TMPro has a bug and I'll file a bug report with them.

This is a textbook case for why C# implicit variable typing is troublesome. The compiler is having difficulty inferring which overload to use and is picking the wrong one. Note the optional 'keywords' parameter - the default value not being documented at https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AssetSettingsProvider-ctor.html ...

public AssetSettingsProvider(string settingsWindowPath, Func<Editor> editorCreator, IEnumerable<string> keywords = null);
    public AssetSettingsProvider(string settingsWindowPath, Func<Object> settingsGetter);

In Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.4.1\Scripts\Editor\TMP_SettingsEditor.cs

This...

Code (CSharp):
    1.         [SettingsProviderGroup]
    2.         static SettingsProvider[] CreateTMPSettingsProvider()
    3.         {
    4.             var providers = new List<SettingsProvider> { new TMP_ResourceImporterProvider() };
    6.             if (GetTMPSettings() != null)
    7.             {
    8.                 var provider = new AssetSettingsProvider("Project/TextMesh Pro/Settings", GetTMPSettings);
    9.                 provider.PopulateSearchKeywordsFromGUIContentProperties<TMP_SettingsEditor.Styles>();
    10.                 providers.Add(provider);
    11.             }
    13.             return providers.ToArray();
    14.         }
    Needs to be something like this...

Code (CSharp):
    1.         [SettingsProviderGroup]
    2.         static SettingsProvider[] CreateTMPSettingsProvider()
    3.         {
    4.             List<SettingsProvider> providers = new List<SettingsProvider> { new TMP_ResourceImporterProvider() as SettingsProvider };
    6.             UnityEngine.Object tmpSettingsObj = GetTMPSettings();
    7.             if (tmpSettingsObj != null)
    8.             {
    9.                 AssetSettingsProvider provider = AssetSettingsProvider.CreateProviderFromObject("Project/TextMesh Pro/Settings", tmpSettingsObj);
    10.                 provider.PopulateSearchKeywordsFromGUIContentProperties<TMP_SettingsEditor.Styles>();
    11.                 providers.Add(provider);
    12.             }
    14.             return providers.ToArray();
    15.         }
    But the class TMP_ResourceImporterProvider could also probably be changed to derive from AssetSettingsProvider instead of SettingsProvider. See the AssetSettingsProvider docs for sample usage.

13. Paul_Bronowski

Paul_Bronowski

14. kk99

kk99

I have the same issue. Deleting the PackageCache solves it temporally. but if you reload the Project you have the error again.

Apparently you must not use the Text Mesh Pro from the Asset Store because it will always lead to this Cache problem.

as davidruizBambo mentioned. Go to Window->TextMeshPro->Import TMP Essential Resources

the other steps I didnt need to do.

Attention!
    However, this will lead to MISSING SCRIPTS in your entire Project. because this Text Mesh Pro will not recognize your prefabs etc.

15. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

With Unity 2018.1 and up, you should migrate to the Package Manager version of TextMesh Pro. The Asset Store version is considered the Legacy version and is no longer getting updated. Be sure to review and following the migration instructions in the sticky post in this forum section.

As far as these errors, they are due to version 1.4.0 using .Net 4.x. However, I reverted this change in version 1.4.1. Using .Net 4.x is still required for version 2.0.x of the TMP package.

16. enginx3d

enginx3d

17. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

I'm also getting the task error with the both the preview and non-preview version of 2.0.1 with .net 4. I tried everything on this thread (deleting the packages, importing, etc) and the only thing that worked was reverting back to 1.4

18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are you using the Bolt plugin? This issue seems to be related to that.

Make sure you delete the Global package cache which on windows is located in "...\AppData\Local\Unity Cache\cache"

19. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Yes, I deleted both the global and library cache. No I'm not using Bolt, but have several other plugins including networking ones that might have their own threading namespace. Still, the error is in text mesh pro's use of the task namespace.

20. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

and you did upgrade the Scripting Runtime to use .Net 4.x?

Just for fun, create a new empty project with just TMP to see if you get the same behavior.

21. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Yes, I used .net 4 and all of the other suggestions on this thread.

If I get a chance I'll try out a new project.

22. KingKong320

KingKong320

Since this is marked solved without an explanation, I'll list my fix in case anyone else sees this. I went to Project Settings>Player>Other Settings>Configuration and changed Scripting Runtime Version to .NET 4.x Equivalent, then restarted Unity.

23. jdscogin

jdscogin

This worked Great! Thanks.

24. geganadiradze

geganadiradze

New project has no errors, but with my old project I can't fix this "The type 'Task' exists in both" error, tried everything listed in this thread, but for some reason downgrade of TMP isn't possible it's just greyed out...
    I'm also using github for unity, maybe that might be related as well Idk...
    EDIT:
    Also "Window->Textmesh Pro" submenu doesn't exist when I'm in updated project, but it does exist if I create new project, so that's odd as well

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  25. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Did you switch the Scripting Runtime to .Net 4.x?

26. geganadiradze

geganadiradze

Yes, switching to .Net 4.x fixed most of the problems but that "Task" case wasn't resolved...
    There's no actual requirements for me to use 2019, so I'm going to stick with 2018 LTS for this project.

27. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Do you have the Bolt plugin in the project?

28. geganadiradze

geganadiradze

Nope

29. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you submit a bug report that includes the project that is displaying this error? I would like to take a look.

30. geganadiradze

geganadiradze

Looks like it was a problem with github for unity plugin, it works fine without it

31. bhavinbhai2707

bhavinbhai2707

This solutions works for the people having "Feature `out variable declaration' cannot be used because it is not part of the C# 4.0 language specification" Error.

32. chaya1994

chaya1994

changing the 4.0 helped me as well! :)

33. Reedex

Reedex

did you figure it out?

34. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Are you having the same issue?

What platform are you targeting in Build Settings?

Are you getting this issue in a new empty project?

35. JohnEvelyn

JohnEvelyn

I've been wrestling with this problem all day so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I need to migrate a 2017.3.1f1 project to 2019.2.4f1.
    It uses TextMeshPro extensively - loads of classes make reference to it.

Every approach to migrating I've tried results in the following error, which breaks the whole project:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1\Scripts\Editor\TMP_PackageUtilities.cs(310,17): error CS0433: The type 'Task' exists in both 'System.Threading, Version=1.0.2856.102, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' and 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

I followed the quoted steps and was able to migrate from 2017.3.1f1 to 2018.4.8.f1 successfully.

BUT

If I follow the same steps to move to 2019 I'm haunted by that error message up there ^. I can't proceed beyond step 7...as TextMeshPro doesn't compile/initialise at all.
    I have also tried migrating 1st from 2017 -> 2018 (ensuring it's all stable) then taking that on to 2019 and still the error persists in 2019.

I'm really stuck at the mo, and unfortunately I -have to- take this project to 2019 for biz reasons.

any ideas?

36. Reedex

Reedex

i was told to go to (not sure if right steps)
    Windows>PackageManager>TextMeshPro>Uninstal(remove)package and then install it again(or not dont remember)
    but errors went poof.
    but i also didnt fully migrate, i just checked if its allright...

37. JohnEvelyn

JohnEvelyn

Thank you for the suggestion but sadly uninstalling the TMPro package causes the error to disappear but then reinstalling it via the package manager brings it right on back!

38. JohnEvelyn

JohnEvelyn

Ok, I found the culprit! Whoop!
    So, there was a conflict between the threading functionality in TMPro and a dependency in my project that was left over from some really icky early code a freelancer bunged in - it's been a long and arduous process unpicking and removing that mess...nearly there though!

39. Reedex

Reedex

40. JohnEvelyn

JohnEvelyn

Reedex likes this.
  41. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi guys,

I have the same problem with Unity 2019.3.06b, any suggestions on how to fix it :( ?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library\PackageCache\com.unity.textmeshpro@2.0.1\Scripts\Editor\TMP_PackageUtilities.cs(310,17): error CS0433: The type 'Task' exists in both 'Unity.Tasks, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' and 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

42. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I believe the above issue is related to the Bolt Asset Store plugin. See the following if you are using this plugin.

43. MacSun

MacSun

Same here in 2019.3.0b7. I tried deleting and reimporting TMP, deleting cache folders, going back to an older version of the package AND of Unity (just in case), nothing happens. And I'm not using Bolt, so I don't have a clue as of where to look for a solution. I'm open to any suggestion, idea, epiphany or whatever can help me. Please!

44. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of the TMP package are you using? Please test using version 2.1.0-preview.1.

45. MacSun

MacSun

I just did that and it found three new errors just like the first one, so no luck there. But I didn't think about the preview package, so maybe one of the older ones will do. I'll try and let you know.

EDIT: still not working, I tried all the way to 1.3. I really don't know what to do.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  46. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you post the errors you are getting?

I have also seen similar issues where the user was using some Asset Store plugin that used .asmdef. This plugin also worked with the older Asset Store version of TMP. In this case the errors were the result of this plugin not referencing the TMP assembly their own .asmdef.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    VitaliyShabanov likes this.
  47. MacSun

MacSun

1.PNG These are the errors. They are in the Google sign in scripts, but everything was fine in these scripts until I switched to 2.1.0 preview 1, so I guess it's related to that. With 2.0.0 there was the same error but in TMP_PackageUtilities.

48. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I have seen those before and they are related to .Net 4.x. I believe there is different version of Firebase for .Net 3.5 vs. Net 4.x. A search on this SDK and the above error should reveal more information.

I did revert the .Net 4 requirement release 2.1.0-preview.1 so it will work without switching to .Net 4 but .Net 4 will be mandatory in Unity 2020 so you may as well get this Firebase SDK upgraded.

49. MacSun

MacSun

This is an old project, and it's not using Firebase but the Google Sign-In plugin. I guess it's been deprecated or replaced by Firebase, so I'll have to switch. But since it's an old project it makes perfect sense that this plugin is using .Net 3.5. I'll try it out and let you know!

EDIT: worked like a charm! Thank you very much, this literally made my day

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  50. One-Zero

One-Zero

This is wok for me. Thanks