Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text is behind Tilemap (Sorting Issue)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by NuKeR2k, Nov 28, 2022.

1. NuKeR2k

NuKeR2k

Hi all,

I'm using Unity's built-in Tilemap in a 2D URP scene. After adding a TextMesh Pro - Text to my scene the text will be displayed behind my tile map as the following demo screenshot shows:

Screenshot from 2022-11-28 17-19-12.png
    The text itself is using the TextMeshPro/Distance Field Overlay shader.

The tile map settings on the other hand are as follows:

Screenshot from 2022-11-28 17-24-13.png

The tile map's sorting layer is set to "Layer 1". If I instead switch the tile map's sorting layer to "Default" the text will be displayed correctly on top of the tile map. However, I need to use sorting layers for my tile map(s). So is there a way to handle the sorting of the text mesh pro?

I already tried some other TMP shaders but as far as I know the Distance-Field-Overlay shader already is supposed to draw the text on top (of everything?).

Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong here or maybe if it is a bug/unsupported feature?

Thanks in advance

Edit:

You can control the sorting layer via code by modifying MeshRenderer's sorting like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. _meshRenderer.sortingLayerName = _sortingLayerName;
    3. _meshRenderer.sortingOrder = _sortingOrder;
    Is there a way to allow the text rendered on top tile map's by default without manipulating MeshRenderer's sorting?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. tabandija

tabandija

In the TextMeshPro Text component, select "Extra Settings". There you will find the the Sorting Order field. I set it to a very high number.

theshiryu and DSivtsov like this.