Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text converted to white bars in the build

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by lexen1, Sep 30, 2019.

1. lexen1

lexen1

I'm sure this issue had been covered before, but I couldn't find any posts about it.

Text Mesh Pro text looks fine in the editor, but once I make a build, the text is all white bars. Does anyone know a solution to this problem.

upload_2019-9-30_17-54-41.png

Thanks!

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This is usually scaling related where on some devices and for some strange reason, the execution order appears to change. See if you do anything to the scale of the text objects. Often, tweening leaves some of the scale values at zero.

This has also been observed when text objects are disabled / re-enabled where again execution order seems to play a roll.

See if any of the above applies.

3. lexen1

lexen1

I tried what you had laid out as well as some stuff I read online, but nothing worked. Amazingly, I was able to recreate the problem from an earlier build. I put some 4k character sprites in the game and it happened again. When I compressed them to 2k, the problem went away. I wonder if there is a ram limit of some kind for this sort of thing? Anyway, I got it working. Thanks for you help :)

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There are limitations on some mobile devices where texture limit is 2048 x 2048. In addition, reading from larger textures is not as efficient as reading in larger texture and for those two reasons, I would recommend using a maximum of 2048 x 2048.

Instead of using one large texture, I would use a primary with fallbacks to break up / split this up. Both Font Assets and Sprite Assets can have fallbacks.

lexen1 likes this.
  5. lexen1

lexen1

Good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind while going forward.