Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Text Based Beginner Unity/C# Tutorials in 2022?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by machinette, May 30, 2022.

1. machinette

machinette

I'm a 2D/3D artist trying to learn Unity. I have navigation down, adding/removing objects, and understand most of the editor windows and functions. I'd like to learn more about scripting and actually making simple game mechanics.

Videos generally have too much fluff, and are annoying to watch/scrub for me. I'd rather have text that I can read anywhere without headphones, follow at my own pace, and refer back to easily.
    Transcripts can be badly written, and still have all of the "fluff" of the video like "um", "uh" and generally all the times the instructor mixes up words or makes a mistake.

Does anyone make Unity tutorials in the text format anymore?

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Not really a tutorial, but I've got a text-only textbook "Learning programming using C# in Unity" at taxesforcatses.com/TOC.shtml. It's technically about scripting, but doesn't make an effort to show how to make a list of game features.

I have the feeling that text just can't be monetized as easily as video, and the demand is for video. Text is in a "why would anyone create that?" situation.

3. thewonderingvagabond

thewonderingvagabond

Wow, so still nothing available?