Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TEXDraw - Create Math Expressions inside Unity!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WillNode, Jan 13, 2016.

1. WillNode

WillNode

TEXDraw draws your ability to create any mathematical expressions. Using UI System (introduced in 4.6) and full customized text generators. it allows you to create matematical expressions with a lot of customization stuff featuring:
    • Subscript and Superscript
    • Greek Letters
    • Math Symbols
    • Big Operators (Sum, etc.)
    • Delimiters (Resizable brackets)
    • Accents
    • Fraction
    • Roots
    • Matrix
    • Strike Lines (a line in middle of a text)
    Wanna more explanation? take a look about this:

ForumIntro.png

See the documentation here.
    http://bit.ly/TEXDrawDocumentation

or go take a deep view into this asset.
    http://u3d.as/mFe

Post anything about this assets, we're open for feedback and ideas.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  2. WillNode

WillNode

long time didn't update this thread, anyway here's the sneak peak about the next update...

Screenshot (158).png

in this future update we will rewrite the whole system (still keeping to make it compatible), adding a custom editor for easy adjusment, more symbols, commands and fonts included, and more performance improvement. keep wait for the next update!

3. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.0 has been submitted for review, there's a lot of improvisation to this package, we already update the docs so you can see the docs now for anything about new feature and be prepared for a major upgrade...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  4. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.0 has been accepted and live on asset store! to upgrade an existing project, please backup your project and follow the guidelines mentioned in documentation...

Here's what changed:

Picture1.png

5. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.1 (sorry, too late to update the thread) and version 2.2 is available on asset store,
    features the new lit shader and unicode support...

here's the new feature:

Picture11.png Picture12.png

PS : we plan to add wrap text feature, keep wait until the next update come.

6. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Nice package,

Does this work with TextMeshPro

7. WillNode

WillNode

Unfornatunely no, both is a distinct package, so far there's no way to transfer between output result since both also has different features and purposes.

8. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.3 has been released! now it's about 10 times faster and less GC overhead, check it out on the asset store.

another feature that's coming:

Picture16.png

RD likes this.
  9. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

hi,

great asset.

can this Work With Other language or Font like Arabic,Hindi,etc. or only work with English.

also can this Work With NGUI.:)

best_regards,
    Play_edu

10. Oriam

Oriam

Hi @WillNode,

I have 3 questions to help me decide if your asset suits our needs. Hope you can answer.
    • Is it possible to change the expressions at runtime?
    • Does it work on mobile (Android, iOS, WSA)? Have you tested the performance?
    • Also, +1 for the NGUI support question by @Play_Edu

Thanks in advance.
    Oriam

11. WillNode

WillNode

Yes, we support unicodes, including arabic fonts, etc. But perhaps, you already know that unity doesn't support RTL language, so you need help from external asset. Luckily, there is one in asset store who do the RTL job, go take a look on this asset.

So far it's not fully compatible within NGUI. however, we also implement a component which uses MeshFilter and MeshRenderer. so non-UI users can still use this package without need the UI depedency.

Absolutely, it works similarly with UI Text, which uses vertices and texture to display it on screen.

Yes, this package doesn't do a constant update, and with the last performance upgrade, i'm sure there's no performance problem in most mobile devices.

posted some screenshot, just to make sure what's happening...

Attached Files:

12. Oriam

Oriam

@WillNode,

Thank you for answering. I went ahead and bought your asset yesterday. Since you include the source code, I think I can modify it to our specific needs. Maybe you can help me a little.

I want to be able to create one box collider for each number in a every expression. I need to find the place in your code where you create each character and access its position and bounds. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,
    Oriam

13. WillNode

WillNode

Thanks for that, anyway it's fairly easy (and hacky). to do that, i've tested and added a some to codes on TexDraw/Core/Box/Charbox.cs, so in that file, when it happen to redraw the vertices, it also creates a box collider. You may want to edit the stuff that includes in the box collider by editing that file. And for this file: TexDraw/Script/TexDraw.cs, place this to beginning of OnPopulateMesh():

Code (csharp):
    1.  CharBox.triggerParent=transform;
    EDIT: i've noticed that the box doesn't longer be referenced at script reload, so we had to destroy it, but destroying object at onDisable/onEnable is not allowed... we'll figure it out later, anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  14. WillNode

WillNode

Long time I haven't update this package. Anyway, i'd like to show you another sneak peak for next update on this package...

Screenshot (188).png

15. WillNode

WillNode

Hmm.., look like this (and future) update is the most wanted feature that need to be realized as soon as possible,

anyway TEXDraw V2.4 is available on the store, here's what changed:
    2.4 – Jun 20, 2016: Sprite Import
    • Now it’s possible to have a texture-based characters
    • Increasing imported font limit from 15 up to 31 fonts.
    • Polished TEXDraw preference
    • Shader-Rewriting: (Shadow lit is now removed)
    • \color now support html text
    • Improved Performance, more less GC overhead at render.
    • New scene example and improved stress test scene.

Picture4.png Picture7.png

16. WillNode

WillNode

Good news for NGUI users: we have an extension support for NGUI, but not yet ready as there's another features that needed to be fixed as the update goes on. If you interested to test/use them right now, drop us an email (with your Asset's Invoice number, just in case) and we'll send the link to the beta asset package.

Keep in touch for updates!

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  17. WillNode

WillNode

Still updating, were hardly working for recent changes that we made to this package, like:
    Screenshot (238).png

18. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

HI,

Thanks for giving beta for NGUI.

It's Not Work With Scroll View. I hop you Update in Future Release.

best_Regards,
    Play_edu

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  19. WillNode

WillNode

Thank you, and recently, it has been fixed now. There also many 'feature incomplete' that just been fixed now (some also still WIP). if you have another thing that didn't work for you, just ask ;)

20. jonahinthewhale

jonahinthewhale

Hey guys
    I've purchased your package recently and it works great!
    Though i've encountered some strange issue
    Well, i created some TeXDraw objects *from the script* aaand in editor everything worked as planned
    But when i tried to make builds no TeX-text was on the screen
    Only today (week after the problem appeared) i've accidentally put one additional *in-editor-created* TeXDraw object and it solved the problem
    I suspect this in-GUI-created thing initialized somehow the whole package
    Not a big bug but please try to fix it for the future

21. WillNode

WillNode

Thank you, and yes, i confirmed this as bug.... that already known since I create the package :p

That's because every TEXDraw component rely on one preference data that shared across all component in the scene (in scripting this called as static fields). Every TEXDraw component that created in the editor have a copy of preference, and when in runtime, they will put that copy into that static fields.

That's why if there's no any TEXDraw component in your scene that we're created in the Editor, then any component created by script will likely fail to find the preference (since nobody fill the static fields, right?). the solution for this (glad you figure out that) create at least one TEXDraw in the scene.

I've been think a solution for releasing this kind of depedency, like putting the preference in the 'Resources' folder, but I'm still not yet want to do that because it has to deal with startup performance for loading the resource in runtime (you know, resources is much slower that reference the copy itself)...

22. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.5 has been rolled out in the asset store!

There are numbers of features introduced in this version, like...

• Official support for NGUI, included as an external .unitypackage file
    • Support for UV3 filling, unlocking many shader features and variants
    • Gradient, and Texture overlay shader for TEXDraw
    • Brand New TEXLink: put links over TEXDraw!
    • Underline and overlined text style
    • More color command variants (\clr and \mclr)
    • \size command for having variant in sizes.
    • and number of small improvements and bug fixes

Screenshot (254).png

PS: like usual, submitting this into asset store takes couple days, and in that time, we surprisingly got more number bug fixes. If you found some bugs in this version, then we have the fix for you ;) . Simply send a PM to receive the recent beta version of this TEXDraw package (and Invoice number, just in case).

23. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.6 will roll out in the store,

while waiting it's approval, i'll tell you how much things are changed: a lots!

In this version it's price is will be at a targeted (stable) price, so there's some chance to grab it now, before things goes priced up ;)

24. WillNode

WillNode

TEXDraw 2.6 just roll out in the asset store! a lot things just fixed, also comes with a number of stability improvements.

my favourite one for this update is the new table feature....

Picture07.png

25. WillNode

WillNode

You migh wonder why there's no updates in the last two months... because we already busy and running out of ideas :D

Here's some sneak peak regarding to the next 2.7 update:

NewTEXBoxHighlighting.gif

TEXDraw will turn those creepy code into...
    Screenshot (39).png

26. kenshin

kenshin

Great idea... bookmarked! :)

27. WillNode

WillNode

thanks! if you have any futher suggestion/ideas, we always happy to hear that ;)

kenshin likes this.
  28. WillNode

WillNode

Version 2.7 just released in the asset store. It's adds a number of features that very cool to have, like editor highlighting and supplements.

Screenshot (44).png

This TEXDrawSupplement is farly new, so you may want to create your own. If you have create something new with this API, then post them here and we'll happy to add in our package (credit awarded :D )

The good news isn't end here. because recently this asset got:
    Screenshot (53).png

Thank you for everyone who made this happen ;)

29. billykidz

billykidz

Can i using TEXDraw without LaTex? I want to insert mathematical expressions easy with board of formulas (not in editor). It's really need for my customer.

30. WillNode

WillNode

Interesting. You want to create a board of buttons into your game right? well, right now we don't have a sample that display such thing, but you can create it by some string manipulations, like clicking a fraction button will append the string with \frac{}{}, etc.

and remember that TEXDraw is not a Text component, so you can't use it for something like textbox, etc.

31. jGate99

jGate99

@WillNode
    I recently saw component and really liked it, specially table support and claim of more features than html.
    My only question is that does the text drawn is always crisp whatever the resolution is? i'm currently using TMPro because it renders text crips whatever the resolution is, if you have the same feature then you got a new customer

32. WillNode

WillNode

Unfornatunely the current version for this TEXDraw doesn't crisp as TMPro. Our current rendering system is exactly similar like UI Text and much other text rendering in the store (using textures, etc.). Maybe not sounds good, but if it used in Unity's UI canvas, then it's always be clear as Text UI does. TMPro's rendering system is always best for 3D text rendering, and many other cases, while others are adapting it self with each player devices.

Maybe some later time, i had to create an extension for TMP, again ;)

33. jGate99

jGate99

Actually we are using TMPro in a pure 2D enviroment, its just like an app and using it with canvas where its physical size constant on every device from small to desktop. So its great for 2D Rendering on Canvas.
    You can either create a TMPro extension or roll your own support for rendering. I'm gonna watch this thread once that happens and will be your customer.

Thanks

34. WillNode

WillNode

Sorry guys, i'm noticed the last 2.7 version triggers some compiler warning on 5.4 (and error in 5.5). The fix for this is just been submitted. it may take couple days to be available in the store. For anyone who need this patch right now, just leave a mail to me.

35. WillNode

WillNode

I've wondered what else that TEXDraw can do. Well, things like commands and supplements are relatively easy to be extended again. So i decided to move it again in a futher steps, and well, it seems better now ...

Screenshot (67).png
    The next version will support 3D transformation inside text individually :D

jGate99 likes this.
  36. jGate99

jGate99

Looks great, plz add TMPro support too :D

37. WillNode

WillNode

Haha, thanks, it's already on the TODO list so ... be patient for that ;)

jGate99 likes this.
  38. shaunakdas2020

shaunakdas2020

How can I add text to a TexDraw programmatically? I can write in the box provided but when I am trying to access TexDraw component from script
    var quesText = GameObject.Find("QuesText");
    quesText.GetComponent<Text>().text = "Latex string";
    I am getting error as Debugger says that there is no text component. I have tried to search around the internet but I guess noone has faced issue before me. Kindly revert back as soon as possible.

39. WillNode

WillNode

Doesn't know what are you really mean, but doesn't it have to be:

Code (csharp):
    2. // Do not confuse with Text and TEXDraw... they are really different
    3. quesText.GetComponent<TEXDraw>().text = "Latex string";

40. WillNode

WillNode

Hi guys.. checkout what's TEXDraw can do right now...

Screenshot (83).png
    A TextMeshPro integration!

The development of TEXDraw still continues today. Timeline for release? still in a long run, but it's expected to be released before a new year happened. If you just can't wait until christmast, you can drop a mail to us (with Invoice?), and you'll get an alpha stage of TEXDraw V3.0 shortly. :)

yc960 likes this.
  41. yc960

yc960

Does it support input from player at runtime?

42. WillNode

WillNode

Right now, it is not possible. But, you still can change the text from scripting at runtime. So far there's no planning/reason to change UI's TextInput with TexDraw just for entering plain texts.

43. yc960

yc960

Can the player copy/paste from the output?

44. WillNode

WillNode

Something like right-click -> Copy, then right-click -> Paste? You can do that yourself. TEXDraw just pretty much like UI's Text but have more styling options inside the texts.

yc960 likes this.
  45. WillNode

WillNode

I wish i could submit this now... but it's still pretty unstable.

Screenshot (92).png

What do you guys think?

yc960 likes this.
  46. WillNode

WillNode

Some special announcements about V3.0....

Screenshot (96).png
    Definitely i need to ask people here what's going on. But it is okay, anyway.

I don't know for sure if i need to tell this, but we don't want any sad face, though ;)

For those who plan to book this plugin, you should wait quite some time until pre-release of 3.0 submitted (because you already know what's that mean), but i don't bother anyway if you need it now :D

And for the rest of you... keep hearing the news!, because i'm still working on this version and very eager to submit it as soon as possible. You can also reach us to get the alpha-stage of the development..

Cheers.
    WillNode

47. jGate99

jGate99

Cant wait for 3.0 :)
    Great work and great decision support TMPro.

WillNode likes this.
  48. WillNode

WillNode

The next week is gonna to be my busiest week that i've need to done. TEXDraw 3.0 is just near into it's releasing date. There's many changes, patches and features introduced in 3.0. And to make easy for newcomers, i've created a Cheatsheet about (upcoming) available TEXDraw commands with their explanation...

Picture3.png

Download the cheatsheet here.

Oh.. and one of the cool feature in TEXDraw is like...

Screenshot (100).png

and..

Screenshot (112).png

49. WillNode

WillNode

Good news everyone.

While we are getting things ready for the major update, TEXDraw has been set 50% off for entire week! It is the first sale ever since it is available in asset store. So for everyone who keep spying on this package, should do it now or you'll miss the taste of new upcoming release.

jGate99 likes this.
  50. Asset_Store_Deals

Asset_Store_Deals

Just to let you know we are adding TEXDraw to AssetStoreDeals.com.

When you have other sales, you can add them to this website yourself simply by pasting the link to your asset in the designated area.

Best of luck to you with this sale!

WillNode likes this.