Search Unity

Tetris Clone Versus Concept

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JacksonTheXtremeGamer, Feb 5, 2022.

1. JacksonTheXtremeGamer

JacksonTheXtremeGamer

I have been working on a Tetris Clone that has pieces that consist of 1, 2, and 3 segments. Right now, I have just finished up on making the Single-player and Co-Op Modes for my game. The only thing remaining however is the Versus Mode. I made a Score Attack Mode as a concept for said mode, but I would like to transition to a more battle mode scenario. As I mentioned before, the pieces consist of 1,2 and 3 segments, which means the grids are small, and triple clears are the highest you can get. And as both players clear lines, the speed increases. The max level is 5. And as for the gameplay, I want it to be as balanced as can be for enjoyable gameplay. I'm basically stuck between two concepts for the Versus Mode:
    1. Clear 5, 6, or 7 lines to send a Line Attack.
    2. No Line Attacks, but by clearing Doubles or Triples you can throw off your opponent by increasing their drop speed or destroying rows or columns.
    If anyone has some tips, I'm all ears. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. r31o

r31o

This will soud strange but what about this:
    -You are in one side of the screen and the enemy in another.
    -You can select what piece to throw to the enemy and move the throwing point.
    -If you complete one line on the enmey side (By throwing pieces as I said) you earn one point)
    -Forgot to say, but pressing on a piece will rotate, you can rotate your pieces and enemy pieces.
    -The first player to get 10 points wins

You like it?

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Theres certainly a lot of ways you could do this, but if it were me I’d do this:

Have a point system.

Clear a line, get a point.

Clear 2 lines, get 3 points.

Clear 3 lines, get 6 points.

Clear 4 lines, get 10 points.

Clear 5 lines, get 15 points.

Then give the player three moves.

Throw away a piece for 3 points, give it to the other player for 5 points, or add a line permanently.

Then scale up the cost of added lines per line. Maybe 10, 20, 40, 80, etc…