Search Unity

Testing Server Connectivity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SDR_Skyhighjinks, Nov 24, 2021 at 4:50 PM.

1. SDR_Skyhighjinks

SDR_Skyhighjinks

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to Unity development, yet alone netcode... I am wondering how I check the connectivity to a Game Server that I am running on my machine (I have port forwarded the port it should be listening on, with the address of my server being 127.0.0.1), however I want to allow my friends to join the server that are not on my home network.

So I've built a little test that once a user has connected, it should ping a message in the server console that someone has joined.

The steps I've done so far:
    - Gone into my router settings (via 192.168.0.1) and allowed TCP connections
    - Made an ingoing and outgoing TCP exception within the firewall
    - Ensured that the clients connect to my public IP address and aimed at the port I've set up for TCP connections.

Is there anything else I need to do and is there any tools that I can use to test the connection from outside my LAN?

2. VALERE91Unity

VALERE91Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

There is a lot that could go wrong doing that kind of stuff :) But don't worry, it should work. However :

- Your server should run on the 0.0.0.0 address and not 127.0.0.1 since 127.0.0.1 is only local to your computer (so nothing will left your computer)
    - In terms of port forwarding, you should allow the UDP traffic (maybe only it). What library are you using to replicate your game?

To check the connectivity you could always use a good old ping in your operating system command line.

Joe-Censored likes this.
unityunity