Search Unity

Testing ARFoundation-based code in the Unity Editor

Discussion in 'AR' started by kennyd-itp, Jun 29, 2018.

1. kennyd-itp

kennyd-itp

I've been using ARFoundation and it's fantastic to have an officially supported abstraction layer over ARKit and ARCore. But the one great shortcoming to my team is that it doesn't work at all in the Unity Editor. By which I mean that we have to deploy to a device to actually see our ARFoundation-driven code at work every time we make a change. This adds a *huge* amount of overhead during development :(

timmunity addressed this in another thread, saying "In-Editor simulation is coming (via another package).". Is he referring to the Project MARS initiative? That does look like an interesting solution to the problem, but seems like it's still a long way off. And we want to use ARFoundation in shipping products asap!

I looked at the package's source code (it's great to have noncompiled C# sources available, by the way!) and it seems like ARFoundation just doesn't initialize any of its subsystems in the Editor, so it does nothing. It would be great if we could have a mock AR system running in the Editor that would provide ARFoundation with camera pose, tracked planes, anchors etc. based on debug input and maybe a reference scene to simulate the real-world environment. I guess that's part of what Project MARS is about, but a much simpler implementation than what we saw at Unite Berlin would already be useful.

What would Unity people suggest we do in the short term? Is the thing timmunity mentioned coming soon, do we wait for Project MARS or is there some way we can add this ourselves? I'm tempted to just fork the ARFoundation package and hack it in myself...

2. kennyd-itp

kennyd-itp

And yes, I realize the pre-ARFoundation seperate ARKit and ARCore plugins don't address this either... But now that we have an abstraction layer that handles ARKit and ARCore, it only seems logical to have it handle a mock system in the Editor as well :)

3. Dev_WeAR-Studio

Dev_WeAR-Studio

Where did you find noncompiled subsystems code?

4. Saicopate

Saicopate

In 2018.2 in Project Window you can view the Packages folder with package scripts.

Phoera likes this.
  5. mdurand

mdurand

Hi All-

We're going to begin an alpha for AR remoting based on AR Foundation next week. Once the alpha is done we will make it available and let this forum (and this thread) know.

MARS is not the remoting tech that we have been referring to.

-Best,
    Mike

rob_ice and TimCoster like this.
  6. kennyd-itp

kennyd-itp

I didn't.

7. kennyd-itp

kennyd-itp

Thanks! "Remoting" still sounds like having to deploy to a device, though? The ideal solution for me would be if I could test my code in-editor and not have to deal with a device unless there's a reason to test in the real world. I'll wait and see what you guys come up with :)

kexar66 likes this.
  8. Bitfabrikken

Bitfabrikken

If ti
    If you need any more testers, let me know :)

9. LouisHong

LouisHong

Hi, any updates on remote AR?

10. Pathorn

Pathorn

Why is UnityEngine.XR.ARFoundation not working

11. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Today I've been having lots of problems with this library. I need to scale and remove planes when the game starts. Sound really easy, but it has been impossible to do it. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

I tried with different Branchs of the release. But nothing.

12. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

I recently wrote a plugin that enables you to test AR features in the Unity Editor.
    It requires Unity 2019.3 or newer and a mobile device that supports ARKit or ARCore.
    The plugin has fairly limited functionality, but still, it will reduce development time drastically.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ar-...d-debug-your-ar-project-in-the-editor.898433/

Unity 2019.2 is also supported but it requires additional installation steps.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    EdwinLyons likes this.