Search Unity

Question TestFramework other than unity TestFramework?

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by unity_E5ECC49163B1A7AB5D3B, May 1, 2023.

1. unity_E5ECC49163B1A7AB5D3B

unity_E5ECC49163B1A7AB5D3B

Hi, Just started working on VR application, could you guys suggest me on best way to get my VR testcases automated other than unityTestFramework?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You'd have to write a class library with NO references to UnityEngine/UnityEditor, then you could use NUnit, xUnit, etc. from within your IDE.

But as soon as you use any of the Unity API you will have to use the TestRunner, and TestRunner only.

Alternatively you'd have to mock up every Unity API that you are calling using interfaces/mock objects. But even so you would not be able to test anything that progresses over time such as coroutines or physics.

Why are you asking?
    If it's because of slow test runs, see this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...-is-minimized-or-the-screen-is-locked.702209/

3. unity_E5ECC49163B1A7AB5D3B

Thank you for the answers! Reason why i'm asking, I'm coming from web application testing background where we can use extendedReports to report our automation test results. Not seeing that here, is there any way to report my test results than just seeing greentick inthe testRunner.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

You'll want to try the Code Coverage package.

Personally I'm just using dotCover now, a (paid) plugin for Rider. Both support running Unity TestRunner tests from within the IDE albeit I currently am seeing slowdown issues and have reported several bugs.

There are other solutions as well, if you don't mind the hefty price tag NDepend is a powerful tool that will analyze test run coverage and provide you with plenty of info.

5. unity_E5ECC49163B1A7AB5D3B

Thanks. I'll see if its fit my requirement.

6. sbergen

sbergen