Search Unity

TestFlight and Cloud build

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by kujo, Jul 17, 2015.

1. kujo

kujo

We have recently started using the new TestFlight from Apple as it makes it really easy to submit build to our client without having to have them give UDID's and keeps things simple for them.

I was wondering if there is a way to use both the Cloud to do the build but distribute through TestFlight? When I download the IPA at the moment and upload it using the Application Loader, I get a warning:

To use TestFlight Beta Testing, build 0.0.19 must contain the correct beta entitlement.

2. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Pix10 likes this.
  3. Pix10

Pix10

Nice guide.

You could also of course have a separate Project dedicated to just Testflight builds.

4. kujo

kujo

Perfect - exactly what I needed. Thanks

hypeNate likes this.
  5. Varaunited

Varaunited

Hi guys ,

@kujo @Pix10 @hypeNate i am trying to upload .ipa file to test flight app , but unfortunatley the build is not shown in test flight , Dont know where i went wrong .Builds option is diabled in test flight .Please help me in fixing this issue

Regards,
    S.DamodharaReddy.

6. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

you now need to manually confirm export compliance through iTunes Conenct once you have uploaded it and its been processed.

7. nobluff67

nobluff67

Is this still the method to use after 1 1/2 years, or is there another way?

I cant find a list of stores that cloud build accepts as "Push To" options, so I assume iTunes is not an option?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

The process as described in the doc above still works. I build in UCB with the distribution profile, download the ipa from UCB when it's done, upload the ipa to iTunesConnect using Application Loader in Xcode (External Tools), then when I get the iTunesConnect email saying it's ben processed, go to the TestFlight section in iTunesConnect and see the build is there and do whatever is needed to distribute to TestFlight users (declare it has no encryption, submit for testing, etc.)

nobluff67 likes this.
  9. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

I found that you can add a PostProcess on the build that automatically provides export compliance (handy to save you having to do it manually within iTunes Connect each time):

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_IOS
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEditor.Callbacks;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    5. using UnityEditor.iOS.Xcode;
    6. using System.IO;
    8. public class ProvideExportCompliance
    9. {
    10.     [PostProcessBuild]
    11.     public static void ChangeXcodePlist(BuildTarget buildTarget, string pathToBuiltProject)
    12.     {
    13.         // Performs any post build processes that we need done
    14.         if( buildTarget == BuildTarget.iOS )
    15.         {
    16.             // PList modifications
    17.             {
    18.                 // Get plist
    19.                 string plistPath = pathToBuiltProject + "/Info.plist";
    20.                 var plist = new PlistDocument();
    21.                 plist.ReadFromString(File.ReadAllText(plistPath));
    23.                 // Get root
    24.                 var rootDict = plist.root;
    26.                 // Add export compliance for TestFlight builds
    27.                 var buildKeyExportCompliance = "ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption";
    28.                 rootDict.SetString( buildKeyExportCompliance , "false" );
    30.                 // Write to file
    31.                 File.WriteAllText( plistPath , plist.WriteToString() );
    32.             }
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    36. #endif

10. nobluff67

nobluff67

@tonemcbride Do you need to attach this to a game object or just have it in your project? Thanks for the tip.

11. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

No, it doesn't need to be a GameObject or in any scenes. Just put it into it's own .cs file and put it in the Editor folder. It'll run after the build because it has the [PostProcessBuild] flag.

12. nobluff67

nobluff67

Just went through this process yesterday, works extremely well if you follow the instructions, and this includes the code provided by @tonemcbride . Thanks.

13. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

@tonemcbride - stumbled across this thread looking for something else, but this is a great find. Always annoys me having to handle the export as I usually upload as I leave the office and the iTunes pages aren't mobile friendly.

Thanks!!

14. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

No problem, glad it helped. Apple have only had 12 years to get iTunes Connect working on mobile devices so we can't blame them ;)

15. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

I recently wrote an OSX script to automatically download the latest iOS cloud build and upload it to TestFlight. I'm posting it here in case anyone finds it useful. Here's the prerequisites:

1) Cloud build must be setup to build with app-store provisioning profiles

2) OSX must have terminal access to the 'jq' command. For homebrew users you can do 'brew install jq' from the terminal to install that.

3) Take the script below, save it as something like upload.sh and make it executable using 'chmod +x upload.sh'

4) Edit the script and replace the following parameters:

APIKEY - Get your cloud build API key on this page (https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/preferences/)

ORGID / PROJECTID / BUILDID - Replace these with your own company and build info. You can get this by looking at the URL of a recent cloud build

APPLOADER_EMAIL / APPLOADER_PASSWORD - Replace these with your Application Loader username & password.

Code (CSharp):
    1. # Get the JSON data of the latest Cloud Build
    2. curl --header "Content-type: application/json" --header "Authorization: Basic APIKEY" "https://build-api.cloud.unity3d.com/api/v1/orgs/ORGID/projects/PROJECTID/buildtargets/BUILDNAME/builds" -o ipaLocation.txt
    4. # Retrieve the URL of the IPA file
    5. cat ipaLocation.txt | jq '.[0].links.download_primary.href' | sed '1s/^/url = /' > ipaLocationStripped.txt
    7. # Download the IPA build
    8. curl --config ipaLocationStripped.txt -o build.ipa
    10. # Upload the build to iTunes Connect
    11. /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Applications/Application\ Loader.app/Contents/Frameworks/ITunesSoftwareService.framework/Support/altool --upload-app -f build.ipa -u 'APPLOADER_EMAIL' -p 'APPLOADER_PASSWORD'

16. KrcKung

KrcKung

Thanks for sharing the code.

17. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

No problem, since I wrote that there's actually a much better way of uploading directly to TestFlight from Cloud Build itself so you don't need a server or Mac to do it for you. If you follow this thread here https://forum.unity.com/threads/path-to-the-final-ipa-file.754331/#post-5073929 it will show you the bash script you need to add to your project and how to set it up in the cloud build config.

xaldin-76, Jelmer123 and slowdth like this.
  18. col000r

col000r

19. petey

petey

Thanks for re posting that @col000r.
    I was just looking through that guide and it makes a bit of sense.
    With the p12 file though, is that your Apple Distribution Certificate? I feel a little worried about uploading that one, but maybe cloud build needs it to generate a usable file for you. Is that the case?