Search Unity

Test Drive My Car....Feeback Please

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by GameReady3D, May 1, 2012.

1. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

I would like your feedback on how my car drives. Currently, the project is a work in progress. I would like to tune the drivability of the car before moving forward with the project. I need feedback on vehicle's steering (too fast or too slow), how controllable is the vehicle (is it easy to drive or is it barely controllable), what frame rate are you seeing (frame rate number shown in upper right hand of screen..In my case, I'm seeing 59-60 fps).

For my preference, the vehicle drives perfectly. It's perfect for me, but it might be terrible for another player. It was setup for my driving style and keyboard driving skill. I would like to find a moderate set up where all players with different driving styles and skills can enjoy the game.

Your feedback is very much appreciated....Cheers...

Link to Game: http://www.timeattackgame.com/

2. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

Looking nice!!! Good job dannoha!

I like the controls and feel of the car.
    Nice car model!
    Interior view!!! Nice!

I see no difference with or without assists with E.
    Why not just make it so that you just press S to go in reverse, and if you press W again, you go forward. No need for the K key.
    Runs at 120fps here on QSettings beautiful, but how can you change the quality setting if it's possible?

Also, it would be nice if the trees at the distance would fade-in instead of poping in. (nice to have)

What type of game do you want to make? I'm interested. :)

MQ

3. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

MoonQuake: Thank you for the nice comments and feedback. I will definitely consider your suggestions. I will delete the K key for reverse. I will add the ability to change quality setting, and I will fade-in the trees when I figure out how to do that.

The ESP ( E key assist), the difference is very small. With ESP, the car will slide a little bit before the stability control cuts the power. Without ESP, the car will slide until it spins out.

What game I'm making? I still don't know. I have several I'm considering, but still not sure..I will keep you up to date.

4. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

ESP: I think this settings should allow an experienced driver to make good use of the freedom he gets from not having assistance.
    Example, if there's a sharp turn, having assists OFF can allow for a smoother sliding of the car allowing for a better acceleration after the curve. The driver gets to decide how he handles getting into the curve and out of it.

How does SC cuts the power in your tech demo?
    Is it preventing the wheels from spinning to fast, or just sliding, is it based on weight distribution and the friction you get at any time during a turn?

5. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

MoonQuake: You are correct. ESP off should be for experienced driver. It's much more fun to drive with ESP off. The car slides and drifts more without the system stepping in to cut power. ESP steps in when the car slides. With ESP on, the car will not spin out. I also have TCS traction control that will cut power when there's excessive wheel spin. I will have all the options available for the game. For now, I want to make sure the car is drivable.

6. Wolfos

Wolfos

Is that a developer build? It takes AGES to download. Anyway, you need anisotropic filtering and you need to hide the mouse.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. Morning

Morning

Controls felt a bit too sensitive. Anything more than a tap to left or right causes car to go crazy.
    Other than that seems stable and nice.

8. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Morning: Yes, if you hold the steering key for more than a tap, the car will respond very quickly and may go out of control. It is meant to be driven with taps of the keyboard. Please try it again, and this time, keep one finger continuously pressed on the accelerator and the other taps on the keyboard keys to make left and right adjustments. I think you'll find that the car is very easy to control. For drivers with heavy fingers, I will add the ability to change steering sensitivity. Thanks for your comments.

Parandham03: This demo is for online Webplayer only. No Android device

9. herpderpy

herpderpy

feels great man. The game gave me a great feel of nostalgia of games I used to play (such as GT4). The only question I'd like to raise though, is why is it a woman driving the car?

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I like it! pretty fluid controls it seems like, not exactly "simulation" but a totally believable drive, I was getting roughly 30FPS, and then it sorta went up to around 45-60 once it had gotten fully cached, thats on an ATI 4250 on a notebook, 2.2 dual AMD, 8GB ram, ran pretty well, totally playable right now.

I think you got something here, keep at it and it should turn out fine!

now return the favor and test out my android game :) hehehe (see "asteroid buster" thread in this WIP forum)

11. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Alex95: Thank you for your nice comments and feedback. Ohhh....you don't like the woman driving the car? I can always change it to a man, if you like...lol

MD_Reptile: Thank you for your nice comments and feedback. I'll check out your game.

12. HolBol

HolBol

I really like it. It would be perfect for an arcade racer. Controls were smooth, it was very nice.

13. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Fishman92: Thank you for testing my demo. I am considering it for an arcade racer....maybe a tribute to the classic 1980's Outrun.

14. Meltdown

Meltdown

Feels pretty good. Perhaps a slight touch of oversteer but otherwise pretty good.

15. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Meltdown: Thank you for your feedback. The old saying..."Loose (i.e. oversteer) is fast"...so a slight oversteer is not always a bad thing. thanks again.

16. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

I *never* play racing games, and I had an easy time steering the car. Seemed easy to me, perhaps not with other cars on the track.

I'm on a somewhat older computer, and saw fps at usually ~28 (+/- 2). The lowest I noticed was 16, but It was never sluggish or somehow behind as far as I could tell.

Everything worked as expected! Good job.

17. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Tobias J.: Thank you for your feedback. It's very good to hear that the car is easy to drive.

18. jeffmorris

jeffmorris

I tested the game with Logitech G27 Racing Wheel Set. Steering wheel works but pedals don't work.

19. newlife

newlife

hi dannolah nice to see you again in action :)
    your new demo is surely better than previous one.
    What car parameter did you use? it doesn't seem that you increased the tire grip, anyway at slow speed it seems that the car is a little too sensitive..

Good job dannolah