Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Tessellation option in HDRP?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by DigitalAdam, Apr 15, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

We have tessellation, you just need to use the shaders provided. You can't currently author your own shaders that use tessellation, afaik.

2. Subliminum

Subliminum

>We have tessellation
    >>You can't currently author your own shaders that use tessellation,

Is custom shadergraph authoring not what we are talking about?

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There is a Lit Tessellation shader for HDRP, it's a standard HDRP shader, not a shader graph.

4. Subliminum

Subliminum

This thread is about using Tessellation with Shader Graph. Everyone knows about the inbuilt Shaders already...you cant access the Tessellation feature through ShaderGraph, HDRP is out of preview, so the HDRP tessellation features should be available to customize. This is why no 3rd Party Devs have made a HDRP Terrain shader which tessellates...not to mention the lack of a HDRP detail shader for Terrain either.

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

My reply was to this:
    Just wanted to point out that there is tessellation option, we just not have it on shader graphs yet (and I wouldn't really hold my breath while waiting for Unity to add it to SG). I guess the messaging could have been more clear from all sides here :)

If you are up for making custom shaders tho, you can just take Lit Tessellation shader and modify it for your own needs. Lit Tessellation is actually almost carbon copy of regular HD Lit shader, it mainly has few extra pragmas on each pass that uses this, it exposes the tessellation properties and one extra include.

Subliminum likes this.
  6. Subliminum

Subliminum

And precisely why it should be in the ShaderGraph haha, and for clarification by "at all". I meant "at all in ShaderGraph for HDRP". At the moment i am building everything except these kind of features in my Graphs with the hopes it will be released soon, otherwise i will be porting them manually into the LitTessellation/LitLayeredTessellation :(.

7. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Will URP support tessellation in shadergraph? We are really struggling with the fragmented functionality across all the technologies. I thought maybe SC would at lest give us a way to save work on shaders scaling to and from HDRP and URP but I’m not so sure now. It impossible to maintain a URP and HDRP projects. Anyone have any ideas.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It is a WIP on Unity side and it it's planned but you can't really expect a solid date for when it will land unfortunately. There is the possibility of you writing it yourself in the shader though. In theory, any unlit shader (which can have custom lighting) from before should still work on URP, just not via shadergraph.

You can have a look at amplify, ask those guys if their amplify shader editor will do it. It will if they handle the lighting their end, otherwise if they are just hooking into Unity shadergraph it won't. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm sorry for not being much help here. If it was me, I would probably use shadergraph and then right click the master (end node) and show the source code. From there you can try saving that to a file and editing in tessellation support. I think this would be difficult though.

Subliminum likes this.
  9. kilik128

kilik128

ok so any other trick or we must just wait

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

11. Subliminum

Subliminum

Horus_Sungod42 likes this.
  12. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

I've just opened Shader Graph trying to create a tesselation custom shader. And i found this thread. Nice.

13. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

@adamz could you change the starting topic from "Help Wanted" to "Feature request" ?

14. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I ended up using amply shader editor for tessellation

laurentlavigne and hippocoder like this.
  15. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

16. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Dont get me wrong they are both great and have their strengths and weaknesses, no reason you cant use both. But one thing that is fantastic about ASE are the Devs on discord. I would highly recommend supporting this tool as well as giving feedback to SG. The more tools we have the better

Subliminum likes this.
  17. StudioEvil

StudioEvil

We're are using ASE too, since the beginning :) I was just messing around with the new Unity Shader Graph to understand what can i do and don't.
    So, is ASE HDRP ready now? Will test it soon!

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

ASE has had HDRP support for quite a long time already. Main disadvantage on using ASE instead of SG is that they only support versions for officially released Unity, which means up to 7.x atm. If you need to use newer HDRP, you have to maintain the HDRP template changes yourself which is quite tedious. There can also be some delays on getting new updated version once Unity releases new HDRP.

I'll quote current asset store package description:
    So I don't know if they fully support HDRP 7.3.1 even atm (altho it could still work if there's no major changes to hd lit shader itself).

19. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I’m using it on latest HRDP no issues so far fingers crossed touch wood. I’m even using it In Hybrid Renderer with no issues.

20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

9.x.x?

21. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

would really love to see a tessellation node added to SG. Ive set up a shader to make footprints in the ground and everything looks great except when i cam to adding some deformations in the ground I realised I cant :-D and my old shader doesn't work anymore

22. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Your alternatives really are: use POM on SG or use ASE.

Sure sometimes it works but for example current 10.x requires manual work. I know this because I've done it (upgraded ASE's HDRP template for 10.x).

Also worth noting is that being able to run older ASE template on newer HDRP is one thing, for example there's only one breaking change on 10.x on ASE shaders but if you want to get full 10.x compatibility, you need to also update rest of the options. Like for example 10.x brings transparent SSR toggle to shaders which you can't toggle from current 7.x HDRP template from ASE.

23. projectorgames_unity

projectorgames_unity

It is seriously still being 'working on' almost 18 months later?

holyfot, Horus_Sungod42, punk and 6 others like this.
  24. Discipol

Discipol

I also need it for terrain + water smoothing. The LOD feature is also delicious

25. Xyotic

Xyotic

Need this for more details in my procedurally generated world.

holyfot and Discipol like this.
  26. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Sure thing. (Just saw this now)

Xyotic likes this.
  27. Beervangeer

Beervangeer

Is it still not possible to acces tesselation in shadergraph?

28. John1515

John1515

Damn, I just got familiar with displacement shaders in 3ds max, and though it would be great to do it in Unity, to be able to finally make my 2 x P6000 sweat a bit. No displacement shaders possible in HDRP :/

29. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Displacement itself works just fine, it just doesn't have runtime tessellation. So for example if you have dense poly plane it would displace just fine on SG.

If you need tessellation on HDRP, your only easy option is to use Amplify Shader Editor as they do support it.

John1515, zhuchun and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  30. holyfot

holyfot

For HDRP to not have tessellation (as a higher end pipeline) doesn't make any sense. Please unity add this, It's been in consideration for months!! We really need this for terrain shaders. URP/Built-in still put HDRP to shame with terrain tessellation.

31. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

URP doesn't have tessellation support for Shader Graph either

32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well technically HDRP did support tessellation though, it's just ShaderGraph that haven't support it yet

33. Xyotic

Xyotic

The worst thing about it is that your arent even able to implement it yourself since there is no master node api...

34. Ziflin

Ziflin

@alexandral_unity Any updates on this. It's been a year and a half since we heard anything from Unity and we could use a tessellation master node to go with the shader graph we're using for our terrain...

35. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

Vote here and share with everybody. :)

36. Ziflin

Ziflin

37. BitAssembler

BitAssembler

Ziflin likes this.
  38. MicCode

MicCode

Have been waiting for this since the beginning of HDRP and ShaderGraph, still waiting, and will probably keep on waiting another year and a half

Kirsche likes this.
  39. Elharter

Elharter

Did someone know if there is URP Tesselation Shader for URP to set the distance of tesselation?

40. Kirsche

Kirsche

Voting does nothing. Its primary function is to let frustrated users blow off some steam and prevent them from abandoning Unity for a competing engine (you can guess which one).

Unity's old feature request site got them a lot of criticism because they simply ignored the most voted issues anyway. Now they don't even show the vote count anymore. You can put 1 and 1 together there.

DrSeltsam likes this.
  41. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Thank you for pointing this up. It's true, they formerly had a counter about how many users voted for a feature. One can imagine the counter was pretty high for features like point light shadows. But it's really a weak move they now hiding the numbers, like nobody should see how huge the feature demand is. But it does not really matter. I see so many threads here and on Reddit, people just complaining about what is missing and not working. You cannot really hide when delivering features takes too long. In the long run, you never can rely on anything, because first they say "year XX" comes this features, than "It's on our roadmap", than "Nope, actually it's by design", "Won't fix, requires complete engine overhaul", "Scheduled to internal roadmap", "We don't support", "No ETA for this", "We cannot repo" etc. blog post indicating they just waste another year but at least have some auto mobile visualisation progress ... (Sure, auto mobile is nice, but I cannot paint my terrain with ray-traced car wind shields, sorry.)

I don't know if they actually care and use the data. I just once got invited for a small survey about Realtime GI as a response to my comment on HDRP product board. Now the Realtime GI feature is completely gone from HDRP product board and so my comments on it ...

42. iamarugin

iamarugin

Two years later.

Kitamat likes this.
  43. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Unity takes FOREVER to do anything.... I would just go with Amplify Shader Editor. It works with Standard, URP and HDRP.

Kitamat likes this.
  44. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

Progress @ SG feels painfully slow... I can't understand why Tessellation isn't even a "Planned" feature for SG (which would mean we *could* maybe get it in 1-2 years), instead it's still only in the "Under Consideration" section on their roadmap :eek:

ASE proves that adding tessellation support for HDRP is not an impossible task (same about access to all 8 uv channels, but that's a different story).

Another thing I can't understand is the radio silence of SG team. Maybe I've missed something, but I haven't seen anyone from Unity in the SG forum for weeks now o_O Sorry but this feels like Unity simply does not care about their product...

Kitamat and Roggi_ like this.
  45. chortaingseng

chortaingseng

Still don’t have tessellation on Shader Graph:(

46. PutridEx

PutridEx

Tessellation is now coming to shadergraph for HDRP only, coming with version 2021.2. No backports, probably.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    chortaingseng likes this.
  47. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Just use Amplify Shader Editor. It has tessellation and phong tessellation. I don't understand why it hasn't been implemented since I asked for it in April of 2019.

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tess in classic unity is extremely slow, think twice as slow as it should be done, as to do it properly you want to use compute shaders to implement it so you don't essentially ask the gpu to process everything twice.

So while you're all keen on it, I get that, it's not the best use of hardware to achieve dense meshes. So is the HDRP version optimised or just giving people slow stuff they want?

What kind of tessellation solution is it? :)

49. Discipol

Discipol

I had to resort to doing QuadTree magic. It's not the best implementation but it gets the job done for the moment.

hippocoder likes this.