Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible editor performance issues after updating from 2018.2.21 to 2018.4.8

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Blackshamrocker, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Blackshamrocker

Blackshamrocker

Hey! As the title says, I recently updated my project from 2018.2.21 to 2018.4.8. The game itself works fine, there are a few minor issues with prefabs etc which I can fix. But there's one very significant issue which renders the editor almost unusable.

Basically it seems to constantly be calling some very expensive functions. When I first saw this, the console was filling with logs coming from an 'OnValidate' function (on a component I didn't have selected). But I commented out that function and it's still going on. This leads me to believe that the editor is erroneously calling 'OnValidate' on everything.

However, even after removing every GameObject from the scene it was still going on!

^ My cursor whenever I'm using the editor.

Looking at the profiler it's pretty obvious something's going on:

Note: I tried to switch to Deep Profiling, and it went away until I switched scene. I have no idea what that means!

It's pretty important that we update to 2018.4 for SDK reasons, but if this persists we're gonna have to keep working in 2018.2 and merge changes in, which will get tedious fast. Any idea how I could solve this or where I should be looking? Thank you.

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi,

That looks pretty odd, but unfortunately, I can't really tell you what is going on or how to deal with it based on that. But could you please file a bug report, so we'll get all the details we need and get this in front of the right team to solve this?

3. FcsVorfeed

FcsVorfeed

not only unity 2018.4.8,this bug is happen all the version after 2018.3!!!!
    unity 2018 2019.1 2019.2 2019.3 There have been terrible times
    i have the same problem,i record the video,this bug is very terrible i really hope can fix it
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/pre...bug-when-preview-at-select-in-project.746504/

4. Blackshamrocker

Blackshamrocker

This is an update for any errant googlers:

it turned out we had a 3rd party tool (NodeCanvas in this case) which used deprecated PrefabUtility methods which don't work anymore. Look for references to 'PrefabUtility.GetPrefabType' or similar deprecated methods in your codebase and update them with the new versions of these methods.

MartinTilo likes this.