Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible banding with baked lights in Unity 5.3.0 B5

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by nickpappas, Nov 3, 2015.

1. nickpappas

nickpappas

Testing lighting in in the latest Unity 5.3.0 beta 5. I noticed horrible banding in the baked results. Its not very noticeable in the brighter scenes but in darks its awful. Its baked like this at even very high resolutions and GI settings. Anyone else seeing this?

banding.png

-Nick Pappas
    3d Tech Artist at Playful

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It generally improves a lot if you are using HDR.

3. nickpappas

nickpappas

Not sure what you mean. this is baked into the texture. at default settings.

Notice that the banding is mostly in the mid values of the light. This is a simple baked point light casting shadows.It's not just banding, its gradating between each band. Yeah if i push the light past one i can blow it out but that's not really a good solution. Image 036.png

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Is this a regression compared to earlier betas?

5. nickpappas

nickpappas

Yes this is a new issue that doesn't appear to be in earlier betas.

I filed a bug report for it.
    Case 742156

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  6. nickpappas

nickpappas

So I looked at the actual generated lightmap and it does not have this banding issue. However the display of the lightmap in the unity editor and in builds behaves this way out of the box. I double checked the texture settings and didnt see any red flags, Its uncompressed and I disabled mipmaps. banding_display.png

7. Gokcan

Gokcan

I always have these types of bandings and I could not solve why it happens in dark scenes. Then I said I think it is about monitor not unity!

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

From what I'm seeing, this may be caused by texture compression. Is the banding still present if you choose "Truecolor" in the texture's import settings? (See attached screenshot).

Attached Files:

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also, to expand on my first post, I believe having hdr enabled on the camera changes the way the lightmaps are decoded (it definitely happens for the precompute, I'm not 100% sure if it's the same for the baked lightmaps), so it could reduce banding.

10. nickpappas

nickpappas

This is not the monitor, Video card nor Texture compression. Have you guys even looked at this in Unity beta5 before replying? This does not happen in Beta 4 or any Beta version before that. It's a bug. And its a really nasty one.

11. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The bug is in our processing queue for evaluating the repro...

12. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA

Great catch, repro'ed and forwarded to devs