Search Unity

Terreain generation and height map

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by candy_man, Jun 21, 2015.

1. candy_man

candy_man

Hello,

So this is the second day that I'm using unity and I'm messing around with terrain.
    I noticed that the maximum heighmap size is 1025x1025.

How then do game develloper make HUGE terrain?
    I tried to generate the reunion island getting an heightmap from http://terrain.party/
    however 1025x1025 is too small for such a big island, the result won't be detailed enought.

Also a terrain game object is 500x500 by default how much meter*meter does this do?

Thanks.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, if you define 1 unit as 1 meter, then the default terrain would be 500x500 meters. If you define 1 unit as 1 kilometer, then it would be 500x500 km. It's up to you.

As for really big worlds, those are not single terrains; they are tiled, and often generated procedurally with a noise function. That's an advanced topic, and I would recommend you spend a few months learning Unity before you attempt to tackle it. Go through some tutorials and learn how to walk before you try to fly!

3. candy_man

candy_man

I'm gonna go back to the basics tutorial then.

But still, If I say 500 = 500 meter or 500 = 500 kiloMeter how do I set the fpsCarachter displacment to mach that scale? I tried scaling it but it wouldn't move afterward

4. Sherasoft

Sherasoft

don't scale your char too much. and if you gonna scale it then you need to scale the animation files too to match the t-pose file or whatever the system you made for your animation. as Joe said the best approach is to have a script to tile your terrains and make it like endless world every time the end of the current terrain hit the edge of the clipping of the camera.. there are lot of scripts about that google it or learn it for better later.