Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraX - First driveable prototype (fatBOX Software)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, Mar 1, 2011.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Check out the development video here

A short video documentation of my first driveable prototype! Any and all input welcome. This current project is a blend of off road truck racing mixed with the challenge of arenacross racing. The game is set in a series of 14 indoor and outdoor environment arenas. Four racers compete for progression pickups, time and position, upgrades and customizations, and unlockable content. The racing style is to be a blend of an arcade experience blended with subtle realism, the visual style will be realistic to the real world. Tracks will include jumps/ramps/animated obstacles which can be used to gain position or to reach pickup items. I am (1) week into development and am using Maya, Photoshop and Unity as the primary development tools. I am documenting the entire development process and creating video tutorials for content that could help others learn from this process and help me to learn from my missteps.

On Facebook

On Youtube

and on the Wordpress Blog

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. macspeedee

macspeedee

Very promising start. Shall be watching with great interest.

3. PolyMad

PolyMad

Not much to talk about, I see a pickup running in a track... controls are ready, ok, but nothing for us to get excited on! :D
    Give us the WOOOWWWWWW!!!

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes.... you're very right, not much to get hyped over right now. Unfortunately this is a small side effect of me documenting each day of progress no matter how mundane. I am trying to do only one update per day and not present super small details.... this would inundate folks with unnecessary updates. Also here on the Unity forums, where most of us are pretty adept users this is no big deal. I put this video out there though to a lot of people who have 0% experience with Unity engine, but might be curious about it. I think it might actually interest these folks, that I was able to prototype something in less than a day and mostly thanks to the ease of this software! :)

5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@megmaltese - BTW I love the visual look of your Sand Beach Marbles project!

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Thank you :D and if you watched those old screenshots... you must know that now it's much, much better! :D

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Work in progress on some title menu icons. I created some roughly in Photoshop to make a quick comp (you can see on lower portion of image). Today I took the raster comp into Illustrator and finished up making some vector versions. Maintaining vector file versions is always a good idea depending on what devices and resolutions you might be tackling.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is the initial truck illustration for the main title menu. The blue truck at the top of the image is the actual vector file that will overlay on the title menu. The red truck on the lower left is the photographic reference, used to basically trace the larger shapes. To the lower right is the Illustrator wireframe of the illustration thus far. The illustration is now about 80% completed.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

A near final revision of the main menu title screen. This is the background plate for the main menu. Other elements will be interchangeable elements overlaid in 3d within the Unity game engine. Javascript events will allow all necessary menu and button behaviors, transition sliding, etc.

10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I’ve completed the modeling of the first driveable vehicle! Now on to texturing! I overshot my 1200 triangle limit by about 30 tris. During alpha I will more than likely be trimming the polygon counts for models and the environments to help with performance, so I’m moving forward.

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Started work on the UI elements. Right now it's a static texture for previsualizing everything. The aspect ratio, screen resolution and pixel placement are all accurate though.

12. ivanzu

ivanzu

Great game.Where did you do that blueprint by hand or in photshop?

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The blueprint for the truck was found via a Google search for Chevy Colorado truck, which this model is loosely based off of.

14. kswaby10

kswaby10

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Some new models coming this week! Keep your eyes peeled :)

16. CraigSnedeker

CraigSnedeker

Lookin' great!

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well I have finally been able to bring this project back to life! I wasn't able to progress very far earlier last year as my Unityscript knowledge was very lacking. Finally I'm to a point where I can and am developing this project into a game. Here is the latest asset I've completed for it!

Video Turnaround of Chevelle on Youtube

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Second asset finished up today. It's based on a Chevy Avalanche, but just like the Chevelle, some things in the shape have been changed and all of the identifying logos/emblems removed.

Video Turnaround of Avalanche on Youtube

19. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

(4) new vehicle assets just completed.

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Work in progress of first level in my current Untitled iOS project. The screengrab is from Maya and shows the street layout for a large scale city. I will make use of M2H Culling system to cull most of the world when the player is in a given area. This will allow me to minimize draw calls and only draw a few thousand triangles per view area.

By the way I've emailed the staff and asked to have this thread moved to the new WIP section, but I haven't heard back yet :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  21. carking1996

carking1996

Looks great JamesArndt!

22. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Some updates on the world art. These are some different areas of the same world, there is no lighting on anything whatsoever, so it will look a bit flat right now. Lightmapping will make all of this really pop.

23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

24. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So to get a break from environment modeling/texturing and vehicle work I decided to start on some of the character work. This is City Inhabitant #1, as I’m calling him. There are going to be a LOT more like him, only in different themes and variations… i.e. public servant versions, etc.

This is a work in progress, but has been designed for iOS optimization. Character is 503 triangles and has a 256 texture. It will use a self illuminated material, so no dynamic lighting. His rig setup will consist of about 8-10 bones in the hierarchy. I don’t envision more than 50 of these guys in any given level, but I’ll make sure to do as many stress tests as I can on the 3GS and go from there.