Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraLand 2 – High Quality Photo-Realistic Terrains from Real-World GIS Data

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TerraUnity, Jan 5, 2016.

1. jf3000

jf3000

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. (wrapper stelemref) object.stelemref (object,intptr,object) <IL 0x00002, 0x00065>
    3. TerrainGenerator. () <IL 0x000aa, 0x00569>
    4. TerrainGenerator.ImageTilerDownloader () <IL 0x004c1, 0x022cc>
    5. TerrainGenerator.š () <IL 0x00039, 0x00184>
    6. TerrainGenerator/. () <IL 0x00111, 0x00470>
    7. (wrapper dynamic-method) ‹. (object) <IL 0x00003, 0x00048>
    8. TerrainGenerator.Update () <IL 0x0010a, 0x0083a>
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (object,System.Reflection.BindingFlags,System.Reflection.Binder,object[],System.Globalization.CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    10. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    12. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:187)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:180)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:245)
    16. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:217)

2. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Maybe you don't have User Admin Rights on your machine or something like this. If the problem persists, do the following instructions manually as the mentioned error is related to the following operations.

In order to have faster & asynchronous Satellite Image downloads in "Terraland Downloader" plugin, do the following one-time instructions for each Unity installation:

The 2 config files for below instructions are located in your project under TerraLand => Resources => TerraUnity => Satellite Image Downloader

Win users

Go to "... Unity installation folder"\Editor\Data\Mono\etc\mono\2.0
    Backup "machine.config" & "web.config" files by renaming them (such as "machine_backup.config")
    Replace "machine.config" & "web.config" files by copying the provided config files
    Restart Unity

Mac users

Go to the Applications folder
    Locate Unity.app, right click on it and select "Show Package Contents"
    Go to "/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono/etc/mono/2.0"
    Backup "machine.config" & "web.config" files by renaming them (such as "machine_backup.config")
    Replace "machine.config" & "web.config" files by copying the provided config files
    Restart Unity

Now TerraLand Downloader can download multiple Satellite Images at the same time and gets the most out of your internet connection speed.

3. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Never seen this error before and not reported either! When do you get this?

4. jf3000

jf3000

I was changing the settings in the downloader and grabbing the data then right at the end when it was almost finished that error popped up.

I am now trying again, its certainly downloading the data.

Every time I start Unity it pops up with that message still and wants me to accept, then it fails. What is the accept doing, is it trying to setup the scene by adding light etc?

just finished and got this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path.
    2. System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:330)
    3. TerrainGenerator. ()
    4. TerrainGenerator.OnGUI ()
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

and this error

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
    2. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:264)
    3. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6793)
    4. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6772)
    5. TerrainGenerator.OnGUI ()
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

5. jf3000

jf3000

This error was also included in the above

Code (CSharp):
    1. IOException: Win32 IO returned ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS. Path:
    2. System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:337)
    3. TerrainGenerator. ()
    4. TerrainGenerator.OnGUI ()
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

6. jf3000

jf3000

But it did generate the terrain and place the images down so even though I got all those errors it did work, but something must be afoot there............

7. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

If you do the instructions in THIS POST, you will no longer see that startup launcher. It tries to replace config files in your Unity installation.

This is not an error but a warning happened because of sudden GUI changes but doesn't affect anything at all.

Do you change settings when TerraLand is downloading data? In this case, it throws errors as you change settings while there are jobs in progress.

8. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

It's a relief but most of these happened when trying to move files in your system. Do you have admin rights in your Windows login? Are there multiple user accounts for your windows? Where is your project in? (e.g. Is it in Documents folder?)

9. jf3000

jf3000

Yes I have admin right, no nothing was changed when it was gathering data.

The trees lite bombed out completely and I have to restart Unity because the window wont close that opened up. Nearly bought the pro version :(

Code (CSharp):
    1. MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.TreeInstance.get_position'.
    2. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

10. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

First of all, seems like you opened up TerraLand in Unity 4, is that right? TerraLand only works in Unity 5.3.1 and later. TerraTrees lite & pro version are old and outdated and have bugs in latest Unity 4.x versions because of API changes.

We are upgarding TerraTrees in the upcoming month so somehow it's not usable in your projects I think for now.

11. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

And also use "Smoothen Terrain Heights" in TerraLand Terrain component to remove those unwanted terraces on your terrain surface as in your screenshot or lower the heightmap resolution while downloading the elevation data.

12. jf3000

jf3000

Running in 5.3.4. TerraLand works fine except for the errors it throws. That tree app window I cant kill. So I have to delete it manually.

13. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

I guess you are indeed in Unity 5 but TerraTrees won't work in it for now. Do you still face previous issues you mentioned in TerraLand?

14. jf3000

jf3000

Yes. How do I test the trees for 5?

15. jf3000

jf3000

Replacing those files made no difference, that window still opens, even if I remove the files.

16. jf3000

jf3000

So apart from that window that pops up and the error it generates, all the settings are default. The only thing I have changed is the location, some town called Debert location -63.45830160000003 its running now and not touching it. Thanks for the input in assisting, will keep you updated with any further issues and questions, thanks.

17. jf3000

jf3000

Code (CSharp):
    2. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:264)
    3. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6793)
    4. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6772)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

18. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

The version we have is working flawlessly in Unity 5 as we use it in our projects but for a public release it still needs some time to wrap up everything. this won't take so long.

As said earlier, this is not an error but a warning and doesn't affect functionalities, so you can clear and ignore it in console.

As for the rest of the subject, thanks for reporting us the issues we will monitor them. Sorry for the inconvenience the plugin caused.

jf3000 likes this.
  19. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Time for a big update, Run-time features are going well so wanted to share the 1st test build to check out. Below are Windows & Mac build downloads.

Windows Download: http://terraunity.com/freedownload/TerraLand_Runtime(Win).zip
    Mac Download: http://terraunity.com/freedownload/TerraLand_Runtime(Mac).zip

Controls: Left Mouse Button to look around - Arrows/WASD for movement.

This is a simple test scene which downloads data from ESRI in synchronous threads and generate terrains in real-time and loads them into your scene without FPS dropping and performance issues. The scene includes 2k resolution heightmap on 64 terrain tiles and 64 satellite images each with 512 resolution and total of 4k imagery resolution. No terrains or assets are existing in the scene editor so everything is procedurally generating on the fly and in run-time.

The generator system is so flexible to adjust for various quality/performance settings and we are going to release next test builds to manually adjust parameters later.

John-G likes this.
  20. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

For users who have problems when TerraLand tries to move/copy files in your system, attached is the updated "TerraLandSettings.cs" script which removes errors and works as expected. Just replace it with the existing script file located in your project under TerraLand => Editor folder.

@jf3000 Let me know if the launcher works as expected so that we can resolve issues in other scripts too.

Attached Files:

21. jf3000

jf3000

Code (CSharp):
    1. System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
    2.   at System.IO.File.Move (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName) [0x0013a] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/File.cs:341
    3.   at TerraLandSettings.ReplaceConfig () [0x0004c] in H:\Unity\TestingStuff\Assets\TerraLand\Editor\TerraLandSettings.cs:215
    4. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    5. TerraLandSettings:ReplaceConfig() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:237)
    6. TerraLandSettings:SetSettings() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:194)
    7. TerraLandSettings:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerraLand/Editor/TerraLandSettings.cs:153)
    8. UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    Replaced file and still errors out

22. jf3000

jf3000

So the above error is in relation to trying to copy those files over like I mentioned in a previously post. This error is different. Set the long/lat and pressed generate, at 41% and not downloading for the last 3 mins

Code (CSharp):

23. jf3000

jf3000

This is very annoying, everytime I start the scene I always get these 2 annoying popups, is there not a way I can disable these from popping up, even pressing ignore doesn't do anything.

24. jf3000

jf3000

Deleted the tournament folder and still getting that first image pop up, how do i kill that please?

25. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Go to all Editor folders in your project, find the 2 scripts named "TerraLandSettings.cs" & "TournamentSettings.cs" and delete them. The launchers will no longer pop up again.

Do the above mentioned instructions and delete those 2 scripts, so there's no need to delete the Tournament folder or any other folders/files.

26. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

In this case, We have to take a look at the code again and send another updated file to check out. Will revise and send another one by tomorrow.

27. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

As already said about this twice, this is not an error but a warning and doesn't affect anything in the project. This is just a GUI warning when sudden changes appear and Unity can't render the GUI. But again, you can clear and ignore this warning in the console.

Please test the whole project in another system and let us know if these problems persist or not!

28. jf3000

jf3000

Tested in a new system, I experienced the same issue as above, even though its a warning and yes I can clear it, its still a warning, can you explain please what it actually means and why it happened so i don't get the warning?

29. jf3000

jf3000

30. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

By problems I meant the errors about moving files in your system caused by launchers and TerraLand Downloader, not the mentioned warning which is normal for all users. Again, it's a GUI warning and currently unavoidable which sometimes pops up and can be cleared and ignored without affecting anything at all. We can take a closer look at this so it will be removed in the future.

Do you confirm that all critical errors and previous issues you got, does not exist in other systems? I still think it could be related to admin rights and windows security reasons which doesn't let TerraLand move files in the first system!

31. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Here I mention 3 public sources of Moon's elevation data:

LRO LOLA Elevation Model - 118m (Global Coverage):
    http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search...A/Lunar_LRO_LOLA_Global_LDEM_118m_Mar2014/cub

LRO LOLA and Kaguya Terrain Camera DEM Merge - 59m (60N ~ 60S Coverage):
    http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Moon/LRO/LOLA/Lunar_LRO_LrocKaguya_DEMmerge_60N60S_512ppd

GLD100 WAC Global DTM - 100m (Global Coverage):
    http://wms.lroc.asu.edu/lroc/view_rdr/WAC_GLD100

These are large datasets to work with, so if you want to generate part of the moon statically using TerraLand Terrain, you are good to go, but if you want to render the whole dataset into your scene dynamically, you have to wait until we finish implementing run-time features in TerraLand.

Run-time features are progressing very well and as soon as the initial stable version releases, we will let you know. Using upcoming run-time features we can load and stream online/offline terrain data dynamically into the scene and possibly render the whole dataset.

Also, for the moon, we already thought of having a separate system specifically designed for Moon rendering with some additional features such as custom terrain shaders to render the Moon more realistically. But this is going to take some time to wrap it up for a package.

John-G and jf3000 like this.
  32. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

jamexist, Ony, John-G and 1 other person like this.
  33. jf3000

jf3000

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated, if you need me to test this I would be honored to do this. All errors have been removed and thank you for all the hard work you've put into this, will write up a review for you in the next few days. Will test the above and see how I go.

TerraUnity likes this.
  34. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@jf3000 You are welcome dude. Glad to see all problems solved. Surely we will put you in the list to test out the Moon system in the future.

The Asset Store page was unfortunate in terms of reviews and the package is downgraded and not seen at all because of this, so we really appreciate if you take your time and give real feedback there so that we can earn some energy and continue developing faster.

35. jf3000

jf3000

I cant believe the size of some of those data files, still trying to wrap my head around this, but those data files are like 8GB and 21GB, having the ability to do this in Terralander will certainly take the application to a whole new level, working on this manually is even a bigger challenge, so i will apologise now lol if I keep coming back asking more questions based on getting this to work right. Will leave a review in the next few days.

36. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

No need to apologize, we will be happy to answer any questions and this also helps others using our products.

Yesterday I had some time to check those moon datasets and generate terrains out of them using TerraLand plus some extra steps out of Unity.

Following is a quick tutorial on how I could get, edit, convert and finally use the elevation data and generate detailed terrains from them using TerraLand in Unity.

For external programs you will need Photoshop & j2k (free plugin).

We will be using the highest resolution 59 meters Earth's Moon elevation data from NASA USGS (LOLATeam and KaguyaTeam) in here:
    http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Moon/LRO/LOLA/Lunar_LRO_LrocKaguya_DEMmerge_60N60S_512ppd

The data acquiring project is published on 4th of February 2015 and the coverage is only available from -60 to 60 degrees in latitude*.
    *For the full global coverage of Moon you can use the dataset in lower resolution of 118m from HERE.

Tutorial on How To Create Moon Surface Using TerraLand

Part 1

DEMTile.jpg

• Go to this page: http://www.fnordware.com/j2k/ and download plugin. To install the plugin in Photoshop, copy the appropriate plug-in to the appropriate host’s Plug-Ins folder.

• Open the downloaded JP2 file in Photoshop so the JP2 image file will be loaded into Photoshop as the following picture:

Photoshop1.jpg

• Go to Image => Mode and check if the image is Grayscale & 16 Bits/Channel as the following picture. (The JP2 image is already grayscale and 16 bits, so this is just to ensure for other occasions)

Photoshop2.jpg

• The loaded image has dimensions of 23040 x 15360, so we need to crop part of it in order to be used in our scene. We are going to crop a 4097 resolution of the heightmap in center*. Go to Image => Canvas Size and set the Width & Height pixels to 4097 as the following picture:

*Normally you have to set a power of 2 plus 1 resolution for the heightmap to be loaded correctly in most applications, but you can choose any resolution to be used in TerraLand. Of course TerraLand resamples the given data and matches it with the closest power of 2 resolution to generate terrain heights. So any value close to PO2 is recommended as data resampling causes banding artifacts and unwanted jagged terraces.

Photoshop3.jpg

• Save the cropped file by going to File => Save As and save the file in RAW format by selecting "Photoshop Raw (*.RAW)" in Save as type drop-down menu and click Save.

• Go to Unity that has TerraLand loaded in it and drag and drop the exported Raw heightmap some where in your project.

• Bring up the "TerraLand Terrain" component by going to Tools => TerraUnity => TerraLand => Terrain.

• In TerraLand Terrain, go to the OFFLINE DATA section, select RAW tab and drag & drop the imported Raw heightmap into the field of RAW.

• Set the "Smooth Steps" value to zero in order to load the elevation data intact and as original as the following picture. We will Smooth out and process the heightmap later if needed.

TerraLandTerrain1.jpg

Part 2 continues in the following post...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    jamexist and John-G like this.
  37. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Part 2

• Go to the NEW TERRAIN SETTINGS section and adjust desired settings for the new terrains generating out of the given heightmap. In this case, "Tiles Grid" set to 1, "AREA SIZE UNITS" is set to 5000 x 5000 and "PIXEL ERROR QUALITY" is set to 1 to bypass terrain's LOD & tessellation operations in view distances. The following picture shows adjusted settings:

TerraLandTerrain2.jpg

• Press button "GENERATE TERRAIN" at the bottom of the GUI so that new terrain(s) will be generated in your scene based on the adjusted settings.

• If you find that generated heights are not properly aligned and they are exaggerated or shallow, you can bring up the "TerraLand Downloader" component and edit terrain(s) heights. Bring up TerraLand Downloader by going to Tools => TerraUnity => TerraLand => Downloader and drag & drop the generated terrain(s) in the OFFLINE DATA section of the UI as the following picture:

TerraLandDownloader1.jpg

• From the Top tabs, go to Options and set a value for the ELEVATION EXAGGERATION and press button SET HEIGHTS. In this case we set the value to 0.75 in order to lower the heights by 25% as the following picture:

TerraLandDownloader2.jpg

• It is possible that you might find extra noises and details on terrain surface. To remove these jagged edges and unwanted terraces from your terrain, in "TerraLand Terrain" go to the section SMOOTHEN TERRAIN HEIGHTS, give desired ITERATIONS value to setup smoothing steps and click Smoothen Heights. The following picture shows available options:

TerraLandTerrain3.jpg

• The following picture shows before and after Smoothing operation on terrain surface:

SmoothingOperation.jpg

Part 3 continues in the following post...

John-G likes this.
  38. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Part 3

• Once you are satisfied with the results and generated terrain(s) look properly, you can add textures to your terrains and setup the environment for your scene. Following screenshots are taken from the game view and the scene only contains generated terrains with textures.

Moon1.jpg
    Moon2.jpg
    Moon3.jpg
    Moon4.jpg
    Moon5.jpg

This tutorial was made using current TerraLand's features and it's useful for static scenes, but as we are developing run-time features, so in the upcoming weeks you no longer need to do any of the above steps as Run-time features gives you the ability to stream any large datasets of elevation & imagery stored in both online and offline locations. No matter, what the resolution and capacity of the whole dataset is or where it comes from, TerraLand can stream and load part of the data dynamically based on player's position in world and possibly render the whole dataset based on various flexible user-adjusted run-time settings.

Also we are going to
    obtain and store Moon's elevation data in our own servers ready for TerraLand to load terrain tiles from this geo-server in run-time. More info will be available about this project when we have finished run-time features.

jamexist, jf3000 and John-G like this.
  39. John-G

John-G

Fantastic tutorial, and even more excited for the real-time streaming feature.

TerraUnity likes this.
  40. jf3000

jf3000

So the elevation data even though stored on your server will the option be available to still import and not use it from your server? I ask because downloading externally for myself isn't the best since the internet can be slow at times because I only get a few hours of daylight at a time, before its dark again and some days/nights the high winds dont help either.

41. jf3000

jf3000

So when you open the jp2 file I see its important to change the canvas because when you import into Terraland the resolution is 1x1

42. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks, the Beta version will be there in a few weeks or sooner. So stay tuned.

lol, I didn't get the last part of your words about day/night and high winds!

But to answer your question, yes it's totally possible to load the elevation and imagery data from local server on your machine's hard drive. So you can grab the whole database at once, place it somewhere on your PC and load the data in your game from that local location. This way, you won't need the internet connection at all and possibly you will get faster loading of data in game as you don't need to wait for the data to be downloaded.

Didn't get this part of the question either! If you read the tutorial steps carefully, you will find that through some simple steps you will get the data exported and loaded into your scene.

As stated in the tutorial:
    In Photoshop's "Canvas Size" window, you need to set Width & Height to any desired "PO2 + 1" value and press OK in order to crop the loaded file in Photoshop.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    John-G likes this.
  43. jf3000

jf3000

The surface of the moon is now very close, thank you. Nothing edited or changed in this image, this is a real part of the moon. I have learned so much about the moon over the last 2 weeks than ever before and have now just learned out
    Selenographic coordinates to better understand the actual location of where the above is on the moon itself. Thank you.

TerraUnity likes this.
  44. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

So glad it is useful in your projects.

One note is that I find the terrain heights in your screenshot having jagged edges. If this is intentional so that's OK but if not, to soften those unwanted edges you need to lower the elevation exaggeration (vertical factor) of the whole terrain as mentioned here:

Currently in TerraLand "Downloader" & "Terrain" components while generating Earth's terrains, all heights will be normalized to a real-world value so that all terrains' Y heights from different locations can be matched together. This section of the video shows it all:

Different Settings on Multiple Requests Can Match Generated Terrains

Again you can set the Elevation Exaggeration for those terrains too. For the moon or other non-Earth elevation data as it is still supposed to be an Earth surface, you may face lower or higher heights than what it has to be. As mentioned earlier a separate project to render the Moon is on the way which we also take this factor into considerations.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    jf3000 likes this.
  45. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

If I have my own digital elevation data hightmap data for an area how can I tell Terra land to use my DEM file? or grayscale Tiff file?

46. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Please refer to these posts:

"TerraLand Terrain" component info for managing customized Elevation & Imagery data: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...eal-world-gis-data.377858/page-2#post-2599837

Using Real-World Moon data in TerraLand Terrain & create terrains out of custom data: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/te...eal-world-gis-data.377858/page-3#post-2682805

Currently, TerraLand can read the elevation data in 3 formats of ASCII Grid (.asc), RAW (.raw) & Tiff (.tif)* and generate terrains from them.

* The mentioned Tiff file is a special image file created by ESRI ArcGIS servers which are Grayscale tiff files with floating point pixel values which I don't think is the file you are looking for. This image file is different than GeoTiff files usable in GIS applications.

Even if your own custom GIS data is not available in the 3 above mentioned formats, you can use external GIS software such as Global Mapper or Photoshop to edit and convert the data to desired usable format and export it to any resolution to finally load it into TerraLand Terrain in Unity and generate terrain(s) from it.

The latter link about the Moon tutorial uses Photoshop to load large Jpeg 2000 (.jp2) elevation data, crop desired area and resolution and finally convert it to RAW (.raw) format to be usable in TerraLand Terrain in Unity in order to generate terrain(s) out of it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  47. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

I have tried saving from Microdem and also saving as GeoTIFF also tried saving as ASCII but it says highest elevation is 0 and lowest elevation is 0 on my imported data and showing all white and trying to generate terrain it seems frozen and nothing happens on the loading elevation bar when I click generate terrain.

Also tried saving from 3dem but gives the same error as those generated with microdem, I tried also saving as ArcInfo ASCII grid from VTbuilder but on trying to drag the asc file to Terraland unity locks up.

Am on a deadline to get terrain ready so really need to find out issue or way to get my elevation in and keep all the geocordinates for it so I can import a terrain texture for the area.

also the elevation map for area I am working on for the Dem file exports a Tif file that is roughly 5239 X 8193

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  48. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Send us your sample elevation data file in ASCII, RAW or the original format so that we can check out the result for you.

Do you receive any errors or warnings during loading?

Also please note that 5239 x 8193 is roughly huge for the terrain heightmap as maximum recommended resolution is 4097 x 4097. In addition you should keep the resolution close to Power of 2 values to have less resampling in data while generating terrain(s) in TerraLand and avoid unwanted artifacts. So you need to crop part of the data or resize it to a reasonable size & resolution before trying to use it in TerraLand and Unity.

49. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

can you drop me a PM? will discus further there.

50. jf3000

jf3000

Hi TerraUnity, anything new coming up, am eager to test something.