Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Tethys

Tethys

Hey guys, I realize the thread has many pages but if you go back a few I have left testimonial about how we have found Terrain Engine pretty freakin' awesome. When it comes to performance, you must first understand the challenge that is making a game that features a procedural world made of voxels - by it's nature it is going to be a memory hog and a resources challenge. That being said, Dyox has done a great job of constantly optimizing it and improving it's performance in parallel with his constant feature improvements and additions. If you have the time go back to his earliest videos and then look at whats in the V9 and V10 videos - just amazing. The biggest challenge we have run into is not working with the engine itself, but rather learning how to work around the conundrum that is a procedurally generated game - so many things that you do in game dev for a static world/level is just different - a whole new way of thinking things through really. Anywho, not sure if that helps but just wanted to point out, there are people who use the engine and have left testimonial if you look around.

dyox and Mikael-H like this.
  2. SandJosieph

SandJosieph

OK. It would it be possible to customize a game so that it used something like LODs per speed or use custom chunk sizes (like make them bigger) so the player has to physically cross more distance, giving the game more time to generate new chunks? If that makes sense...

3. Frpmta

Frpmta

But can I use TerrainEngine as a terrain editor (making and saving terrains) rather than a procedural generator (on-the-fly generation)?

dyox likes this.
  4. dyox

dyox

-Yes it's possible with the new version. TerrainEngine V10 will contains a new LOD system that will allow to load terrains up to 10 - 20 km². Unlimited trees with the tree lod/combiner and less than 1go memory usage.
    And the load time is also greatly optimized (8s before, less than 4s now for 8km²).

-Yes, it's a new feature of V10 :

mgear, Frpmta, Zoey_O and 1 other person like this.
  5. Zoey_O

Zoey_O

I'm looking forward to the LOD feature!

6. dyox

dyox

The lod system is done and is on the video.
    Less Drawcalls and vertices than the unity terrain. And better looking trees. They don't move like with unity terrain when you come close to them. They fade between the lod and the mesh.
    I'm sorry for the poor quality of the video. I will re upload it with better compression.
    If you've not noticed the lod switch in the video it's a great thing :)

Tethys likes this.
  7. dyox

dyox

Some comparison between UnityTerrain and TerrainEngine.

Nature Pack
    -UnityTerrain : 4071 DrawCalls, 1.4M Tris, 1.6M Verts
    -TerrainEngine : 1520 DrawCalls, 1.6M Tris, 2.1M Verts
    Unity 2015-03-02 13-48-27-18.jpg Unity 2015-03-02 13-52-07-38.jpg

Winter Pack
    -UnityTerrain : 3326 DrawCalls, 1.5M Tris, 1.4M Verts
    -TerrainEngine : 1409 DrawCalls, 1.1M Tris, 1.3M Verts

Unity 2015-03-02 13-54-25-37.jpg Unity 2015-03-02 13-54-36-95.jpg

Tethys likes this.
  8. dyox

dyox

Pirate Island
    -UnityTerrain : 8267 DrawCalls, 3.6M Tris, 3.1M Verts
    -TerrainEngine : 6017 DrawCalls, 2.6M Tris, 3.0M Verts

Unity 2015-03-02 13-59-29-25.jpg Unity 2015-03-02 13-59-45-38.jpg

TerrainEngine++ :
    -TerrainEngine trees follow terrain alignment.
    -Trees doesn"t move when lod switch.
    -Trees/Grass/Details can be removed in realtime, and terrain runtime edition is fast

UnityTerrain++:
    Unity Terrain LOD switch is less noticeable, but this will be improved in next versions of TerrainEngine.
    Multiple Grass/Details can be placed at the same position. Only one type can be placed at the same voxel on TerrainEngine. This can be improved but for keeping low memory it's not implemented on TerrainEngine. But it's possible to set Grass/Details on top and bottom grounds (like on caves and Floating islands)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Tethys likes this.
  9. Frpmta

Frpmta

Does that mean I can I have a 64km^2 [8192x8192] or 256km^2 [16384x16384] terrain loaded as long as I have enough memory?
    Basically, can I convert this Unity terrain to Terrain Engine voxel terrain format? : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/24-hour-terrain-demo.218650/
    Just asking because according to your screenshots, TerrainEngine has higher performance than Unity terrain
    and that 24-hour terrain demo is made with Unity terrain so I was wondering if it is possible :D

10. jashan

jashan

First of all: This is looking totally awesome! Thanks for creating it and sharing with people!

I haven't followed the full discussion regarding price in the other thread ... but ... personally, I'd definitely pay $200, maybe $300 (or even a little more) if it was available on the asset store and ask for no or only very little support (at $200, basically if people expect significant support to be included it simply won't be profitable).

If I'd need support, we could have a support contract (which will very likely quickly cost much more than the initial investment). I think paying support by time is really the only fair option.

Even when the 30% cut sucks (I also sell stuff via the Asset Store), I really prefer buying stuff on the Asset Store and I would assume that you'd probably significantly increase your overall profit (also, I believe most people that pay $200+ for a package understand business and have more realistic expectations regarding support than people looking for freebies or $5-stuff).

But what I'd like even much more than being able to buy it on the Asset Store: Would you consider selling the technology to UT so that they can integrate it into the engine? They really need a new terrain system and I'm pretty sure that with Unity source code access, you could make this even more awesome than it already is. Personally, I think that would be the best possibility (even though I think it was a real fiasco when they hired the NGUI-guy ... but that doesn't mean that this couldn't be a good approach for the terrain if something really awesome is available like it seems it is the case with "TerrainEngine").

11. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

For the amount of time and effort that has gone into this you don't just... practically give it away for 200-300 or even 400 dollars... Selling it to the UnityTeam is... Extremely improbable honestly, That would be like Microsoft selling it's Xbox rights to Sony for $500,000... It just dosint make sense from a business point of view. Especially considering this is HIS and if he sold it to UT it would make it THEIRS meaning (depending on the contract) he would no longer have control over it at all. I have nothing to do with this Engine but having worked on extensive projects in the past the thought of him selling it for anything less than 1000 euros would be robbery. (Have you seen the price tag on VoxelFarm lately ?)

dyox and Tethys like this.
  12. PhosphorUnity

PhosphorUnity

For those demos (Pirate Island, Winter Pack) , are you using their hand placed trees and grass assets (not terrain engine grass, etc?), and just the terrain is the terrainengine part?

also, is the atmosphere, lighting, etc all from those assets packages? it looks great!

dyox likes this.
  13. jashan

jashan

A lot of games need an awesome terrain engine, so I'd guess this is a fairly decent market. Maybe not as good as providing a UI system when the current UI system is severely lacking but could be close. IIRC, for a very long time NGUI made between $50,000 and $100,000 each month (if not more). And that was priced much lower (which probably explains why it was so successful).

Of course, pricing is always a tricky issue and going for bottom races really serves no one. I just know that for me, it would be an instant buy if it was available at $200 on the asset store. I'd probably still consider it at $400 but much much more carefully. For most people, however, I believe that the threshold is quite a bit lower, so I guess between $50 and $100 would actually probably generate more income in the end (I'd just be very cautious about the support costs when going that low because ironically, people that pay less usually expect more).

I guess the trickiest part is that while the current terrain system that's built-in is severely lacking, it's probably good enough for most people - quite unlike the old GUI system. So it's a risk either way.

I really like what I see here and hope that it is and will be even more successful!

It really depends. Some day (and quite possibly even within the 5.x cycle), Unity will have a new terrain system. And most likely, it will be extremely awesome. From that day on, any addon terrain engine will lose grounds just like NGUI does now - simply because most people prefer a built-in solution and if people can chose between an awesome built-in system and an even more awesome addon, most will just stay with the built-in solution because awesome is almost always enough.

But of course, that's a choice Dyox has to make - if it even is an option for UT after what happened in the past (I personally have a pretty strong opinion on this that I'll keep to myself here ... I'll just leave it as: if I was UT I would be very cautious with considering hiring asset store vendors to build their product into the Unity core - but in a few cases, like this one, I'd personally love to see it).

dyox and SecretStudio like this.
  14. Tethys

Tethys

From a business point, as I have tried to point out to people, at $3000 THAT IS THE COMPETITIVE MARKET PRICE. If you look on the market, the only other smooth voxel terrain engine that has this many features and runs this well costs $25,000 (Voxel Farm) or $1000 + $100 a month + 2% royalties after the team makes $100k. We have already been and here and done that with the please make it cheap requests. One of the original Unity voxel engine creators back in the day did that - made it $200 on the asset store - and couldn't keep up with all the support requests (people say they don't need it but they do - if you have never put together a procedural based game you will need support, its a completely different ball game). In addition, Terrain Engine is pretty amazing, selling it for cheap just minimizes all the work Dyox has put into it - it's a brilliant engine and the price should reflect that, IMO. There is a reason why there just isn't anything out there that can compete with it (price to features wise).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Jeremy2300, dyox and XPAction like this.
  15. dyox

dyox

- Yes it's possible. You will not have the same result, because it's not possible to paint on the terrain, but you will have exactly the same terrain/trees/grass/plants

-I'm using hand made terrains from packages (Winter,Nature,Pirate) and i've used the Converter tool inside TerrainEngine. Unity Terrain is removed and replaced by TerrainEngine terrain. all trees/grass/plants are managed by TE.
    You can use both : premade terrain and procedural systems. So you can use an Unity Terrain with a procedural object placement on it.

I agree with Tethys. Create a voxel engine is complex and it take several years.
    The price is the result of the complexity/time of works.
    There are few voxels engines on asset store, their price are very affordable.
    You can learn/start a project and switch later to a bigger engine.
    For now, the price of TerrainEngine will not change, and it will not be in the asset store.

In the meantime, here are some new images of TerrainEngine V10 LOD
    (V10 will be released in 20-30 days)

Voxel Size : 1 m3
    Terrain Size : 10 Km²
    Terrain Height : 2048 m
    Trees : 110 000 (With Colliders, Fading/Batching, LOD, Destructible)
    Distance of trees : 6000m
    FPS : 60+fps
    Drawcalls : 300-500
    Vertices : 1.5M - 2M
    Memory usage : 1.5Go
    Load Time : 5s game ready, 19s complete terrain is loaded
    Shader : Relief Terrain Pack (Triplanar)

NeverLand 2015-03-05 05-04-34-69.jpg NeverLand 2015-03-05 05-06-36-08.jpg NeverLand 2015-03-05 05-08-55-30.jpg NeverLand 2015-03-05 04-40-31-95.jpg NeverLand 2015-03-05 04-37-57-77.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Fenris2, Mikael-H, Frpmta and 2 others like this.
  16. Tethys

Tethys

Amazing! Dat draw distance! And the terrain complexity is stunning. Well done sir, as always!

dyox likes this.
  17. Frpmta

Frpmta

Okay, one last question: Is there no workaround around not being able to paint the terrain? And what's the performance hit for lowering the voxel resolution to something akin to let's say 50x50x50 cm^3? Twice the memory requirement and loading time or is there some bottleneck/exponential curve?
    I was thinking in something absurd like using TerrainEngine's geometry while using Unity terrain as the renderer but I am not really an expert in terrain coding matters. Only gameplay scripting.

18. dyox

dyox

It's possible to set the voxel size to 0.5m.
    But if you want 10km Terrain you will have LoadTime * 2.
    The memory will increase a little bit and more if you use more trees/grass or plants. (approx memory * 1.2 to 1.4)

19. neff11

neff11

really frustrated i was interested and i asked for price, feel ignored..

20. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Private message @dyox for inquiries.

21. DDDiscover

DDDiscover

This looks very nice.

I wonder if I can use this for a race game. I would like to have a desert like island (fixed, not procedural) containing
    caves, arches and overhangs with small details.

Questions:
    If I want the caves, arches etc to have details as smal as 0.1m, what would a resonable island size be?
    Not all parts need this fine detail. Can I set the detail level for different segments?
    I would like the arches to be destructable. Is that possible? If an aches is destructed, how can I make the parts fall down (e.g. using the physics engine)?
    Can I give the arches etc extra details by using tessellation or bumpmaps or anything else?
    Do I understand correctly that peformance is equal or better then the standard Unity terrain?

22. ozymandias974

ozymandias974

6000€ this is too expensive for me! ...
    Bye!

23. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

24. darkhog

darkhog

Yeah, 6k's too much. I've seen voxel terrain systems that looks better or comparable and are on asset store for under €300. Like this, for example: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8131

I think this is even one used by Planet Explorers and Medieval Engineers.

25. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

Actually Terravol is no where near as good as TerrainEngine..we have Terravol and it's no where near as flexible. It also hasnt been updated in a long time.

I'm going to say it again though - please consider offering elements of TerrainEngine a la carte so that smaller indie studios can afford the $6k+. Only studios that have had somewhat of a 'hit' with a game can swing that amount.

I get that it's lonely at the top though ;) when you have a monopoly. Competition will surely arise someday!

dyox and SecretStudio like this.
  26. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Does anyone know if he offers the ability to pay, for example, monthly in smaller amounts? I have emailed but haven't received a response. And this will probably be the single deciding factor in whether I can purchase it or not. And this will determine how I go forward with my plans, so I'm hoping for a response as soon as possible!

Edit: And I'd also like to know whether it works on Mac OS X or not as well. I prefer to develop on my Mac.

Thanks.

27. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

not negotiable, we tried in the past ;)

I don't believe it's a standalone application, it's a framework that ties into Unity as far as I know.

28. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Yes, I meant the OS X version of Unity.

So you're saying you must pay 6000 in full, and can't break it up? If so, that's going to be hard for me.

29. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

No idea man sorry...I'm guessing no.

30. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Yikes, this is going to be quite a challenge for me then. I was definitely willing to make sacrifices to pay the price, but if I'll have to use a Windows computer as well... that's harsh.

I mean, I don't own one.

31. dyox

dyox

Hi JasonBricco, i replied to your private message.

-I provide payment facilities. It is possible to pay in installments.
    Although each case is different, I am available by email for more information.

32. Razmot

Razmot

Hey guys, as one of the early adopters and purchasers, I have to remind you of something really important about TE : There is only one expensive license, but this license includes full source code, all in c#, nothing hidden in dlls, no monthly / yearly fees, no royalties. Keep that in mind when you compare it to $300 packages ;)

33. Deadlyapples

Deadlyapples

Are there any demos I can play that use your totally amazing genius Terrain Engine? I just want to walk about a dig stuff and look at things with my own eyes on my own screen and use my own hands! haha. I hope when my game idea comes together and I feel I am read I can take the leap and invest in TE but I am a way off from that stage! :)

SecretStudio likes this.
  34. anukana

anukana

Would be nice to get demo for play and test things, if it works like in video.

35. M4ns3

M4ns3

@dyox

Do you planne to add physic on voxel build? To allow us to make destructible tower fall, bridge fall, etc...
    It would be great if you add that, I think a lot of people waiting for it, its the only feature missing compared to voxelfarm i can see and perhaps voxelfarm is now available for indie it would be great to have an alternative.

36. FisherM

FisherM

Sorry to ask more simple questions, but I have quite a precise use for it and the LOD is interesting.
    First
    Would it be possible to have large view distances from a first person perspective on the ground, at a minimum of 10,000 units.

Would it also be possible to have a much greater view distance from a flying perspective with all the terrains at a low lod
    As an appended thought because the aircraft fly at realistic speeds the terrains would have to be able to load terrain tiles quite quickly again at low lod?

37. Hotdug

Hotdug

I'm very impressed with your engine but the visual quality of your YouTube videos are poor.

Extremely poor. Actually... terrible.

Look at these three screenshots taken from your latest video at youtube.com/watch?v=S9q3uxyunyo

http://a.pomf.se/sbmxws.png

http://a.pomf.se/iojtso.png

http://a.pomf.se/eheehw.png

That's just awful. It has nothing to do with your actual product but it is hurting your presentation. Looking at these blurry videos makes me want to close them, no matter how cool your engine is.

I thought I would let you know since you seem to have produced blurry videos for a couple of years now and maybe someone hasn't pointed it out for you yet since you are still doing it? If YouTube is the one causing the super low visual quality I strongly suggest you move to a better video host that support better quality or even host the videos yourself.

If your source videos that you upload to YouTube are the ones that are blurry (most likely) I strongly suggest you change video codec and increase the bitrate (get better hardware so you can record at max visual settings and use a lossless format).

Maybe you feel like "it's only a demo video" but these are what make people go "wow" and the more representative of the real deal they are the better your product will look and the more likely people are to pass on the word about your engine. Right now it almost look like you have something to hide since you aren't presenting your product properly.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only trying to help you. In 2015 a blurry video just doesn't cut it. A copy of iojtso.png is attached below in case the URL above has expired by the time anyone reads this. (The other two images were similar.)

iojtso.png

38. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Hi, dyox !
    How to save modified landskape to file and load? I can not find example for this.

39. Razmot

Razmot

Here' s how I do it :

Load : Set your folder name in TerrainManager.informations.FolderName before starting TE. For me it's on the marchingmanagerScript on the TerrainManager gameobject. set "load enabled" and "save enabled" to true at the same place.

Save : TerrainManager.Instance.Container.SaveAll();

Enjoy - and yeah I'm actually developing my game with my shiny TE, for real :p

40. dyox

dyox

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay, i'm working actively on TerrainEngine V10.
    V10 is the biggest update ever done for TE.

It will contains :
    -Realtime voxels physics : Floating voxels now falls
    -Splatmap support : smooth voxel transition
    -Unity5 support : PBS shaders
    -Voxels objects : Asteroids, meteorites,etc..
    -New improved LibNoise library
    -New unique Terrain LOD system (marching cubes based). No skirts, no seams. Ultra low vertices count.
    Terrain size up to 16 000 m² at voxels size : 0.25m3.
    -Water optimizations
    And more

-Optimizations : Ultra mode
    -- Memory : 3go V9, 1.3go V10
    -- FPS : 40fps V9, 90 fps V10
    -- Garbage collector : 16ms V9, 3ms V10
    -- LoadTime : 16 seconds V9, 6 seconds V10 (for fully procedural world, only few seconds for unity terrain converted to voxels)

New Quadtree GameObjects LOD system :

- 450 000 Trees at 90 FPS with smooth LOD fading/batching. More than all existing LOD solutions for unity
    Trees LOD now use a completely new LOD quadtree based system. It's the biggest update of V10.
    It can be used with speedtree objects. Only few drawcalls for XXXX trees.
    Trees,details,grass,chunks systems have been completely rewritten.

New demos, videos,screens are coming soon.
    V10 will be released in 20 days max.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    tatoforever and Tethys like this.
  41. Retrovers

Retrovers

Hi !
    Terrainengine v10 will be free ?

42. FisherM

FisherM

But long view distances!!!!

43. Zoey_O

Zoey_O

Really looking forward to this!

44. thoorne

thoorne

Probably 6k EUR or sth like this but it's totally worth it.

45. BES

BES

IF I could afford this I would buy it ..looks totally awesome... I will keep an eye on this for the future.... even though it appears that I will have to make my own voxel engine for spherical planets since that is supposedly impossible with this Terrain Engine...
    Even though a game like Planet Explorers exists that supposedly has voxel planets(so NOT impossible...just not possible with Terrain Engine)....

46. Tethys

Tethys

I have had Planet Explorers since launch 1 1/2 years ago - I haven't seen this Planet Feature you are referring to. The world works pretty much just like Terrain Engine it seems. In fact, when I first started playing it I could have sworn they were using Terrain Engine. Whatever it is, it is very similar - even has some of the same "weak points" if you want to call 'em that heh. :) Anywho, good luck on your search and project!

dyox likes this.
  47. dyox

dyox

Spherical planet is not possible for the moment with TerrainEngine ( no voxels solution exist actually for planets). But i'm thinking about it and i'm planning to add it on next TerrainEngine version. (cubical planets like cube3 and spherical planets like no man sky)
    The new TerrainLOD will allow really large voxel terrain at small scale (0.2m3)

Some screens of all new systems. They are still WIP on different projects and need to be added on TerrainEngine :

Smooth Voxel transition : 6 textures per material. 255 materials max
    01-SmoothVoxelTransition.jpg

650 000 Trees at 400 fps. With smooth transition
    02-650000Trees.jpg

Voxel physics : Fast physics, mountains can falls with correct physics, no mesh collider
    03-Physics.jpg Terrain LOD : 16km². Voxel size 0.25m3
    04-TerrainLOD.jpg

Goal : (Atmospheric scattering, better tree lod shader, better splatmat, realistic fluid shader, and more)
    05-Goal.jpg

Also TerrainEngine V10 now contains a new TerrainOperator system that allow big terrain modifications really fast (with voxel physics). It's possible to cut a mountains and see it fall instantly. (fully networked).

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Tethys likes this.
  48. kenlem

kenlem

When can we expect V10 to be ready?

49. dyox

dyox

Hello,

Version 10 is delayed. I will contact everyone by email.
    V10 now contains more advanced features :
    -In game Profiler
    -New gameobject pooling : Optimized garbage collector
    -New network sync system
    -New Pathfinding : Optimized for RTS. 100-200 units can now search path and avoid obstacles in realtime
    -Spherical/Cubical planets is now possible : V11 features
    -And more...
    Unity 2015-06-03 23-59-21-42.jpg

I will contact everyone by email.
    A new store/website will open soon.
    It's now possible to sell/buy plugins for TerrainEngine

Some news from CityGine :
    -It's now possible to create roads/sidewalks in editor.
    - Soon : Procedural building system (fully explorable)
    Unity 2014-12-26 21-57-22-09.jpg

50. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

Ok, great news on the store. So does this mean with the plugins that you will break out the pricing more. Also does that mean others can write plugins and sell them?

Phil