Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. dridley

dridley

It seems to be taking a very long time to complete. (Il semble être beaucoup de temps). If you are looking for help, I have 4 years in C#, and consider myself experienced as far as Marching Cubes goes. If you need any assistance, let me know. I also speak french if that is relevant.

Thanks, Drew.

dyox likes this.
  2. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

This isint related to TerrainEngine but it Is your product i would assume and you seem only active on this forum so i thought i'd just ask what your plans are with the other kits you've designed? Though i am more interested in the release of TerrainEngine, CityGen also seems to fit my needs so would love to hear anything on that, cheers

dyox likes this.
  3. x4000

x4000

Last I heard, CityGen was canceled.

dyox likes this.
  4. drewdapilot

drewdapilot

I honestly think it is such a shame that this product has been taking so long, with very few updates in-between. To build up immense hype and then to leave your supporters in the dark is a bad business move, which has probably resulted in a multitude of lost purchases. If you could please enlighten us all with a more specific update on the current state of the project, that would be much appreciated.

dyox likes this.
  5. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

So much wasted potential.. ive seen much much less product been sold on the asset store, it's like he's showing a pot of gold then throwing it off a balcony to his fans horror.. oh well at least terrain is still going lol

dyox and x4000 like this.
  6. Flurgle

Flurgle

@Turbones Not following, what is this? Can you explain?

dyox likes this.
  7. Tethys

Tethys

SPAM? He has only 3 posts in the community so I would take anything he has with a grain of salt. I'm going to report the post.

dyox, Flurgle and SirStompsalot like this.
  8. dyox

dyox

TerrainEngine Next :
    -Jobs
    -Burst (Noises/Nodes editor, Transvoxel, Erosion, SplatMap, etc... )
    -Unity 2019.3+ only
    -Runtime World Nodes Editor/Editor Nodes assets/Biome Nodes/Decoration Nodes
    -Voxel Objects (Fluids/Voxel Editor/Procedural Voxels Objects)..
    -4096*4096 HeightMap per TerrainBlock (infinite Terrain)
    -Procedural HeightMap 0.8s (4096*4096)
    -Erosion 0.01s (jobs/burst). (4096*4096)
    Orbit->Planet->Orbit realtime : 0.X s
    2800 Voxel Chunks : < 2s
    (Jobs/Burst/Unsafe/Optimizations/Etc)

-No terrain upscale from heightmap (512*512 heightmap upscaled for 4k terrain size...)
    -No loading time/lags for terrain / colliders : Unity Physics / Custom Raycasting
    -No vegetation studio lag/spike edition for decoration
    -Complete AssetBundle Management (Encryption/Addons etc)

RealTime / Infinite Terrain:
    -HeightMap/Caves/Decoration/Voxels/Modification/Network
    DOTS Voxel Engine using Jobs/Burst/Unsafe/Micro Optimizations
    And more...

Sans titre.png

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    DJ_Design, Zoey_O, siliwangi and 3 others like this.
  9. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

That's an outstanding sneak peak! Can't wait to learn more!

dyox likes this.
  10. Tethys

Tethys

Wow, holy smokes that's great! Awesome to see you man!

dyox likes this.
  11. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Wow, the new update sounds too good to be true. It's hard to get update from you sometimes. Can't wait to check it out.

dyox likes this.
  12. phil-harvey

phil-harvey

So does this mean it is ready for licensing yet? But does sound good update.

dyox likes this.
  13. blacksun666

blacksun666

another teaser, this time for targeted at unity 2019.3beta. Last one was for a 2018 beta version of unity, time before that a 2017 beta version of unity. Over 20 emails and IMs from me ignored. Looking forward to the day this releases in the asset store till then I'll keep this on the vapourware pile.

dyox and x4000 like this.
  14. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

I imagine that Dyox is using some pretty bleeding edge unity technology, like Dots and ECS. Let's try to exercise patience.

dyox and Tethys like this.
  15. blacksun666

blacksun666

Been looking to buy this for 2 years and yet to get one reply from the developer. That's being pretty patient, I predict two years time the teaser will be based on a beta of Unity 2021.3. Seem to have gone through versions 11,12 and now Next, none of which seem to have gone on sale. Would love to be proven wrong.

dyox likes this.
  16. Sarudan

Sarudan

Dyox, can you please give us an idea of when you might be looking to release a first version, and where?

dyox likes this.
  17. dyox

dyox

Hi.
    Yes, I'm using latest techniques and preview packages to obtains best performances.

I had to rewrite from scratch TerrainEngine to convert to DOTS,jobs and burst.

I've completely changed user interface and asset management.
    Terrainengine is now focused on real time preview and edition.
    It also use asset bundle as default and is made for customization.

I don't have visual to share for the moment, i'm focused on performance and I will add third party assets later.

Im planning to release the new version in 1-2 months.

18. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

In terms of performance, from my own tests, previous TE version is the best one, compare to others. I simply can run lots of trees, grass, objects, etc. on a low-end PC, still get a stable 60 fps. About third party assets support, I suggest Amplify Impostor, GPU Instancer - Crowd Animations, I don't know if the latest TE support GPU Occlusion yet or not. That sure will boost some more performance score.

DJ_Design likes this.
  19. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

Dyox, are you still doing cubic voxels in your engine, or is it all typical 3D these days?

20. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Can't think of a reason why he would gut the engine of those major features, he certainly has not announced anything about doing so.

21. Fenris2

Fenris2

I noted that you accidentally hit the - key instead of the 0 key. They are so close on most laptop keyboards, so it is completely understandable that you actually meant to type. . . "Im planning to release the new version in 102 months." :p

More seriously, I look forward to it, but I also not holding my breath at this point. I kind of look at it like a winning the lottery scenario, super nice if it happens, but I am not exactly counting on it as part of my retirement plan.

x4000 and dyox like this.
  22. Tethys

Tethys

Let me know if you need some testing help - and also the price on the new license if we need it. Still using the old version in two projects but might switch to the new one for our VR project once you release it. Thanks for the update!

DJ_Design and dyox like this.
  23. Ascensi

Ascensi

I hope you can add waterfalls like this or better

jessejarvis and dyox like this.
  24. dyox

dyox

Yes, i have more....
    The next video will be insane...
    2 weeks, 0.4s for 2km terrain.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    jessejarvis, neoshaman and Tethys like this.
  25. neoshaman

neoshaman

at what voxel size on which cpu? because if we can change the voxel size, I'm okay with 32km in 0.4s at 2m size

dyox likes this.
  26. dyox

dyox

27. Tethys

Tethys

Oh my - this is awesome! Let me know when I can get a copy from you(and price if needed) - would love to start working with the new stuff and implement it in some new projects of ours. ;)

dyox likes this.
  28. dyox

dyox

Fluids are coming soon, viscosity , and so.. more (waves, Rivers, and more) (Sand, Water, Lava Etc).
    Fracture

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    jessejarvis, Tethys and DJ_Design like this.
  29. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@dyox when can I try the version? I can't wait to test it :) btw, awesome demos!!!

dyox and jessejarvis like this.
  30. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

Whoa. These are looking rad @dyox! It's going to smack of the awesome!

dyox, jessejarvis and Tethys like this.
  31. dyox

dyox

Hi.
    I've almost finished fluids (missing particles and effects)

I've also implemented an Addons system to created custom generator/systems.
    Fluids are using it as example.
    Fluids doesn't impact FPS or Terrain Modification performance

Everything is managed on the node window.
    It's possible to Add/Remove/Modify any node/system in realtime and see result on terrain.

I've made also many optimizations on burst part.
    1000 Chunks are now generated in 700ms at start. (0.7ms per chunk)
    More optimizations are WIP

Fluids will be automatically generated at terrain loading and will create Lakes/Rivers.
    It will be possible to apply different voxel type or spawn any objects under fluids or at fluids border to create interesting rivers/lakes

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Ascensi, Tethys, RandAlThor and 4 others like this.
  32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Great to see something is happening here :eek:)

Is there a solution to bring one or more hight map/splat maps/other maps from world machine or other terrain generators to your solution to start a terrain?

dyox likes this.
  33. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome!

dyox likes this.
  34. dyox

dyox

Hi, Yes it's possible to import any Texture or UnityTerrain as source and blend them as you want with biomes, splatmap,erosion and fluids on it.

I've made a video as example (with Unity Terrain Tool Stamps):

I'm also working on a Mesh To Voxel converter, so it will be possible to place meshes as voxels and destroy them with Fracture or use Mesh as terrain tool to deform the terrain.

The Terrain use a PixelError to adjust the LOD depending of the terrain complexity and also a MeshDecimator to simplify the final mesh.
    Each setting can be changed at runtime.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    RandAlThor and Tethys like this.
  35. drewdapilot

drewdapilot

Glad to see more continued progress. I was wondering whether you could follow up on whether or not you were looking for some hands for this project, or at the very least, a updated release date? it is coming near the end of the 2 months you predicted, and that is completely fine, software development is notoriously late and slow on progress/development. I think we as a community just want to remain informed on when we can ACTUALLY expect to get our hands on this product.

36. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

The same cool feature that Voxel Farm offers. This can open up more fun gameplay experience. Who doesn't like to destroy things?

dyox and DJ_Design like this.
  37. ch3mbot141

ch3mbot141

Would it be possible to use this system for some kind of large spherical world?

dyox likes this.
  38. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I know at one point Dyox said that it was possible and in the engine, but I'm not sure if it still is. I can't see him removing that kind of feature though with how much it's requested/asked about. Personally I want to build an Anime-esque fantasy game where players travel from world to world using magic or maybe Gates.

And something more ambitious, I want a player to be able to eventually get magic strong enough to do mass terrain destruction, and have the environment react to it (animals moving their habitat, NPCs rebuilding towns, etc).

dyox likes this.
  39. mikebuchsenschutz

mikebuchsenschutz

@dyox

How much would a license cost just for personal use, use for just learning unity and using your engine for that purpose only? I am in school for Software Development and I would like to use this however I dont think I could afford this amazing engine. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael B.

dyox likes this.
  40. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Don't quote me, but I believe at one point Dyox mentioned a $300 model on the Unity Asset Store (but that's not with source code). It'll probably be decided more closer to actual release.

dyox likes this.
  41. dyox

dyox

Hello.
    I will be ready to start sales of 'TerrainEngine Next', next week (10/15/2019)
    I will answer to all mails and PM Wednesday.

42. dyox

dyox

It's actually not possible to create planets or to modify/convert all current systems for planets.
    But i've added a streaming system that is made specialy for this future version (it will not allow Fluids/Erosion and any other post effects, it's like a no man sky system but on cpu)
    I'm working on this current systems :
    -Biomes
    -Blend Modules (Burst)
    -Curves (Editor/Runtime)
    -Generic Terrain Operators (Terrain Modification)
    -Fractures (Burst)
    -Path Finding (Burst)
    -Rivers (Burst)
    -Mesh To Voxels ( Runtime/Editor edition of voxel mesh)(Burst)
    -Terrain Tools (HeightMap, Voxels, etc)(Burst)
    -Mesh Decimation (Burst)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  43. dyox

dyox

44. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Woohoo! Good job!

dyox likes this.
  45. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome man, congrats! That water system is amazing I cant wait to try it!

dyox likes this.
  46. dyox

dyox

Hello.
    I'm currently working on last features of TerrainEngine Next.
    I've received all your PM and Mails.
    I will contact everyone this next few days.
    https://discord.gg/DZP2seG

47. DarkDungeonStudio

DarkDungeonStudio

@dyox Do you have a single video showing off everything this amazing looking engine is capable of?
    I'd like to get a good view on it's capabilities and performance, but I have no idea where to start. :)

48. Ascensi

Ascensi

That would be awesome for 3D Scans. Also could your fluids be made compatible for sub surface scatter, metal,AO and maybe displacement? I created this asset for iClone https://marketplace.reallusion.com/photorealistic-water-and-wave-maker_225446 and although I used IRAY for rendering, there wasn't much difference from a standard shader. I recently had a bit of a dialogue with the company and suggested that they create an ocean system that uses several displacement channels mixed and mapped to one displacement output and for each displacement channel you'd have texture scroll that would oscillate positions between x & y 0-50 etc so each of the heightmaps will blend animate into each other dynamically real time or bake it into Unity's new fast video format. The height map channels could take a texture or use procedural noise. This concept could also allow drawing of wave curvature to shape shore waves around landscape.. A raycast could even detect objects intersecting the water and using a dynamic curvature mask generation could allow ripples to pop up in that area. Maybe you have something better in the works :)

49. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I know right? First thing I'll do with it is make large crags (just realized I think I might be using crags wrong). What I mean as to say is giant curved mountain spikes coming out of the terrain. Not necessarily reconnecting to the terrain like in the picture below, but that could be a cool variant.

DJ_Design likes this.
  50. DJ_Design

DJ_Design

Have you guys heard of a little game called Cube World? ;) Might be best to just wait and see what dev has planned on his roadmap before bombarding him with ideas that could potentially delay the initial launch weeks or months.. That being said i'm all onboard for these in question haha, especially the arches i think this engine will bring some amazing unique results.