Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Ziron999

Ziron999

to bad demo download link doesn't work...would really like to see this thing in action :(

sean-bradbury likes this.
  2. sean-bradbury

sean-bradbury

We all would. :)

@dyox All kidding aside I would like to a serious reply to all my and others posts about a release data.
    It seems like you have the V11 release ready based on the YT tutorials for it just curious as to what the hang up is?

I have picked up a couple of other voxel terrain assets but I am still willing to purchase TE as I think that will be the best solution for my project, however, having said that, I cannot wait forever.

Cheers,
    Sean.

3. sean-bradbury

sean-bradbury

From what I understand the full source version is $3,000 USD and the closed source version is $300 USD

Cheers,
    Sean.

dyox likes this.
  4. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@dyox I'm still waiting for the Planet support. Any good news on that? Last time we chatted, you mentioned about around November. Will the Planet be ready around November?

killer1171090 likes this.
  5. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I tried VoxelFarm and I have to say it is the most horrible complicated setup ever conceived. It was AWFUL. I can't even describe the learning curve, a mountain is not even a fraction of it.

dyox likes this.
  6. dyox

dyox

It's not comparable. TE is designed for Unity. Voxelfarm is designed for headaches.

I'm working on it (no eta, no date for the moment)
    (I'm working on solution different than : Dual universe, no man's sky, star citizen)

So true.

I'm actually not only busy with TE, but i also need to manage my company and my contracts.
    I'm not only working on TE but with companies into many projects (cities,voxels,planets,unity integration from other engine, etc) When i will be ready, i will contact everyone.

Yes, but this website is not finished. And for the moment, prices,packages and details are not correct

Final price for source code is :
    -3000$ (1 year support/updates)

I'm uploading "tutorials" on youtube, but for the moment they are more "work flow examples" than tutorials.
    I'm sorry for the delay, but when TerrainEngine V11 will be released officially, i will be full time on it.
    I will contact everyone as soon as i can.
    Thomas.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    ikemen_blueD and Tethys like this.
  7. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hahaha I could so see them engineering it while thinking how they could further give their users headaches and frustration. They have lab of ticked off monkeys trial testing it.

Tethys likes this.
  8. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

That sounds good to me. Hopefully it will be available at the end of this year. Like always, I entrust you on the terrain part :)

9. recon0303

recon0303

Hi Dyox, not to bother you but what is your email again? I did email you my receipt from the other company, as I did buy Open Source, but I HAVE not heard back. . If you can let me know your email or if you got my email as you had asked for our receipts showing what we bought. I never heard back, I waited about 3-4 months. again I know your busy, but I want to make sure I'm on this list Thanks !

10. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

@dyox With the newest version, how is the 2D Terraria-like aspect of the engine?

11. BuildEverything

BuildEverything

We are generating liquid volumes with FluidMarchingConstructor. As it is based on marching cubes (as with our terrain), unsurprisingly we are getting angled edges.

How can we generate fluids such that they are flush with the terrain?

Attached Files:

12. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

I have been searching around for Voxel-engines for a game I am working on.

I found this one and it looks awesome!

do I figure out the price and stuff via email/pm @dyox?

EDIT - nvm all good! Found the new website.

Cheers!
    XaloX

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Jesus_Loves_You

Jesus_Loves_You

Would like to purchase the full source version. What is the process please.

14. BuildEverything

BuildEverything

We still haven't heard anything back about fluid voxel generation.
    I know you're busy, but it's been about a month now.

15. Galahad

Galahad

This engine looks really awesome.

I work with real world simulations. Could TerrainEngine receive heightmaps from satellite data and generate based on this? If yes, it could be done during runtime too?

Regards

16. recon0303

recon0303

Best of luck, and I been very supportive, but after thousands spent and just ignored for nearly 6 months of emails, and I'm not one to complain...but .....we are moving on, we wish this tool all the luck... We have a business to run as well, I WILL have to take this as a loss...on our end of over 4 grand..

You can have talent, but you really need someone to know how to run the business side.

I wish it all the success../Cheers

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  17. recon0303

recon0303

Hate to bring up old news....but this isn't old to me...I'm still paying this back...for something I NEVER GOT...

I actually agree here, I have defended Dyox gave him the benefit of the doubt... and I asked 6 month or more ago, if we could see proof or what he would do for us....Because I for one, WOULD of never gave Junglee 4 grand if Dyox didn't tell us to........I also did try to BUY many times before Junglee....So again you all seen I been supportive, but I lost total faith , since I get the silent treatment for this long.....Sorry but if this was any of you.......and you PAID someone, 4 grand, YOU would feel the same way, we all do.... So again there is only a hand full of us, and it wouldnt hurt Dyox one bit to update us.....but he choices to ignore us...So yes, now I'm a bit annoyed and feel betrayed now...... I no longer can be apart of this anymore......I don't know the truth, but being silent does not HELP his side for this long.....This is NOT a hobby, I also lost twice....since I also had an investor buy it....so I had to PAY it back, since he got screwed.....that was FOOD out of my kids mouth.....So the least Dyox could of done was update us...Thats the price of business....I even sent proof......... I will repeat WE would have NEVER EVER bought it with OUT DYOX approval promoting us to do so.......So after giving this over 6 months thought and giving him time........

This is beyond unacceptable.. I want people to beware that this happen, because Dyox your FAULT or NOT a email takes 2 mins or less.....and guess what I have a business to run, I have a two year old, 4 year old to support, family ....and many, many clients, AAA companies I do business with, and I reply to my people....

So sir, not to bash you, and not trying to, but I been supportive , but this ignoring nonsense, is old..... now... and just angers people more... I know I won't get anything now.....but I think people should know what happen, and how people like me been supportive and did everything THE RIGHT way and still got the cold shoulder....Not saying your a bad man, I doubt that you are.... I just think, you don't understand business.. and when your business gets a bad name, its not easy to recover, word of mouth spreads, easy to...

Best of luck and I do mean the tool all the success.... its sad, that you couldn't take the time to help out a hand full of people who PAID 4 grand for a product you made, and told people to go buy....its not our FAULT, you have poor contract, management skills.... When I was new in business I made a mistake that cost my business thousands....and I was upset, it lead to me fixing it with customers and those people told others, and I got a huge contract that made me a lot that year.... If it went the other way, i would of lost more.... So you never know who knows who, and will GET you more business....

anyways, I would take this as a lesson, to work with people you know very well and have contracts....and good ones...

So people like us do NOT get screwed....

But I also can't see any of us trusting to give anyone a cent again, just to get this treatment again.... sorry... but fool me once...... if I do it again then its my fault..... wouldn't of cost you a cent to help those few people out that showed proof......for your mistake..

Ask anyone on the store, I know many people and helped many here, make a ton of money... but people I know, I been in this business for 20 + years..

Your very talented on the tech side, but like many talented on the tech side, they do not know business at all...This should of never gone on this long... Your trying to do everything your self.... and you are seeing what is happening.... as you grow you need to learn to hire some help.. and study business end more and I bet if marketing was there, you would even do more profits....

again best of luck.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  18. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

Sad story to hear from Recon0303. You are right to feel the way you do and I think you act very reasonably. Dyox obviously is a very talented coder but customer support is dead. I would never suggest this software to anyone for that reason. Hope you have some good fortune in the future Recon0303.

killer1171090 and recon0303 like this.
  19. recon0303

recon0303

Agreed , Thanks you.

20. wilsonaf

wilsonaf

Hi,
    The below YT video is a discussion, tipped-off from angry customers about Terrain Engine.

(It can only be watched on YouTube)

We at the BOSE YouTube channel doing the next show on Thursday 7 Dec 2017, about this issue, and will be live-streamed. If you're interested to participate or come live to the channel, please contact wungun@gmail.com.

21. neoshaman

neoshaman

I have been following this asset since the beginning. The business model was about having a hi price and serving a very few number of clients very well, to not have to deal with the hassle of many customer relations getting out of hand, he even specified that support won't be great and to not expect it, unless you pay and are technically verse, it was made to be esoteric from the beginning to focus on efficient code, his primary skills. If the few principal customers are satisfied making wave around the asset will only weed out the noise for him, he will still have enough to make a living if he get recommendation from there instead of dealing with the fallout of the junglee misstep. I think he took his own social skills when designing that business plan and only failed to stick with it and was mightily punish for him, sending him back to his preferred way of not dealing with crap he don't know how to handle. I don't think that will hurt him, but maybe that's necessary to let the steam off for disgruntled people, but that's from something that was outside his control and his skills, hence the poor response. I hope every party find his own in this mess.

2cts

22. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

The BOSE Youtube channel will hopefully do some research before live streaming and find that Dyox is not a con man. The Youtube video linked above shows that they have very little information on Dyox's situation at the moment.

23. RoyalDust

RoyalDust

Hello everyone just to tell you that I am also a field user engine for over 2 years and all that goes well for me. I do not think that saying that Dyox is a crook is ok, I do not agree with that, he's just very busy right now. My experience with him is very good so avoid making a generality. If you want to see what terrain engine is able to do I link a video of my game

24. killer1171090

killer1171090

So you believe its alright for someone who is busy to take thousands from people? he chose to make this project public and to sell it, so now he has to learn to handle it. Simply taking thousands of dollars from people then being "busy" and not supporting or even giving updates to those people, I would definitely say is scamming. We paid our entire budget for our game, on this. a lot of our money went into this in hopes of completing our game and being able to buy food. But we got no updates, broken code, and no support, not even a proper apology for his mistake. He told us all to purchase from Junglee, we did, then suddenly Junglee runs away? That's his fault, not ours. We listened to him and paid thousands, now he should make it up to us. It takes him what, 5 minutes at most and not even $1 to send us all updates. But instead, he wants us to buy it again? He is crazy to think anyone would accept that offer.

RoyalDust, You were one of the few people to actually get Terrain engine and get updates. Everyone else lost tons of money and got nothing in return. He could have just given you guys updates to allow some people to say they purchased it and its great on the forums, to get more sales. We know nothing about Dyox, I don't even know his real name. And he expects us to trust a complete stranger after he took thousands from us?

Sorry but no, and everyone else seems to agree, this is stupid.
    All he has to do is copy a link, and send it to all the emails that purchased this and just repeat that for every update.
    And then BOOM, problem solved. Or even a GitHub link, would be faster and he would not need to update it. Maybe even Dropbox, I could go on forever on ways he could fix this problem. But instead, he took the one way to make it worse.

I'm not saying Dyox is a bad guy, he just really needs to rethink what he's doing.

Rickmc3280, recon0303 and Artaani like this.
  25. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

Looks like BOSE Youtube channel lost interest in this or did some research and found some facts. I think they try to do a good thing but are not perfect, like Dyox.

26. Artaani

Artaani

Hello.

Why this tool is not available on the Asset Store? I never heard about this tool due this fact.
    How much this cost?
    I do not trust very much to such nontransparent business model where I can't see a reviews from other customers.

Why you can't just upload in on the Asset Store and set a desired price?

upd: Already found approximate price using a Google. 6000$. Wow.
    According to what I can read above, it is definitely not worth such money.

Author definitely should upload it to Asset Store and set 100-300$ price.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  27. Artaani

Artaani

Oh, wait. There is another information from author.

Okay. 200-300 is suitable. But when it will be available and why not in the Asset Store?
    I still can't trust in quality if I can't read reviews from other customers.

28. killer1171090

killer1171090

Heres a review:

Never recieved product, many other people also did not recieve product, some people paid thousands. Never got support, never got updates, just some broken code and then we were abandoned.

He likely never uploaded to The Asset Store, because he can get away with this much easier. Idk what to think anymore, we cannot just leave this behind as we need it for our game, and we paid all our games budget on this. we want to believe dyox is telling the truth, and hes just really really bad at business. But seriously, who takes thousands from people because of their mistake then ask for us to pay him agian for a chance to recieve the same product we failed to get the first time. We even have proof of purchase. we are very well considering taking this into legal manners. Dyox requested we purchased from Junglee, we did, They ran away. Well, thats was dyox told us. we either want our money back or I want to recieve SOMETHING. Honestly I'll be happy with just the contruction kit seen in the videos. Thats also something I need for my game, so I'll be happy with just that.

Its so simple for dyox to solve this issue, and the longer he waits, the worse this is going to get.
    Note to dyox:
    Give us an update :p As simple as that, then you avoid any legal issues, and you get happy customers.

recon0303 and Artaani like this.
  29. Artaani

Artaani

Thanks for information. Yeah. This is exactly what I am talking about. If someone not in the Asset Store (or not in the Steam if we are talking about the game) it is a great possibility to hide real quality and reviews from many new customers.

It is a shame, because this tool looks really great and looks like the best Voxel solution for Unity (not sure, just a first thoughts from the videos) but seems like it is ruined by such simple organizational mistakes.

Author, if your tool will be in the Asset Store you will never have a problem with customers who will not received a product. Of course you may receive a lot of negative reviews if your tool will be bugged, but authors of reviews will change a rating once everything will be fixed so everything will be fine.

30. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Just my opinion on the asset store. It's nice for the customer, but Unity takes 30% of our revenue as a publisher. That's almost a third of the amount, so out of $300 USD they'd get $90 of that. So if Dyox wants $300 for the closed source version, then he'd need to add 90-100 to that. Unity also needs to have the cheaper version, so he can't charge 400 on the asset store and 300 on his.

For simplicity it's nice to be on the asset store but for a businessperson it's a no brainer. I don't like seeing my $60 get turned into $40, I could only imagine what'd be like seeing 300 down to 200 :p

31. CyberVR

CyberVR

All we need now is for Dyox to reply to emails / these posts and update his website so it can start making money for him.. Get his own community forum on his website so people can help each other to take the weight of him to focus on updates and fixing things.. If he starts selling it and I am sure between us that buy it can work together to learn it and help over all.. He does not even need to have a community forum on his website the user community can make one and he just links to it from his website... This asset is just to damn good to leave on the shelve.. ;)

Artaani likes this.
  32. Artaani

Artaani

In that case he can just increase price for the Asset Store to 430$. If the tool is good, it will worth it. Not a big difference between 300 and 430. Plus, he can set 300$ price if it is bought on him website.

33. killer1171090

killer1171090

Agreed, I would have gladly paid 430 same as 300.

34. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

He can't set $300 on his website though, as Unity needs to have the cheapest option. It's part of the terms of becoming a Unity Asset Publisher. Unity needs to have the cheapest price.

35. killer1171090

killer1171090

Then make it 430 everywhere, i would glady pay that, and im sure anyone who is dedicated to their games would do the same.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Artaani likes this.
  36. djarcas

djarcas

So where's the state of this, does anyone know? I purchased it via Junglee, which appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

MarkusGod and killer1171090 like this.
  37. djarcas

djarcas

Can this be escalated to the mods/asset store guys?

38. dyox

dyox

Hello everyone.

As I said, I'm not working with junglee team, and everyone who bought TE from them received terrainengine as far as I know, if not, I'm not aware of any scam of this sort.

The support/update was supposed to be provided by junglee team but it appear it was a scam.
    I already said I will reduce price for junglee customers.

Terrainengine is still in dev and I will contact everyone by mail when the next version will be done.

Actually, I'm working on some major code change and I will provide a new version with many optimizations and new systems (on unity 2018, with job system and dx11 async gpu generation, very fast noise for server with simd instruction, realistic terrain shader and few collaborations with asset store package creators ).

Also I'm working on Unigine and citygine, actually I have a working universe system with galaxies,planets,solar systems using procedural voxels terrain with a procedural cities generation (double transform precision, and physics, 3D skyboxe and no loading from ground to anywhere on universe,using resources/asset bundle streaming) ( star citizen like + horizon zero dawn procedural generation system)(with dense forest,details,grass,caves,pathfinding,etc)

I'm not very responsive to mails because i'm very very busy and I can't move forward with all interested person.

An asset store solution is also planned, full source code, but divided into separate plugins to reduce prices for person who don't need, for example, realtime voxels physics and fracturing, realtime fluids with lod, dedicated server solution, etc...

I hope you understand, thanks.
    Thomas.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    MarkusGod and ikemen_blueD like this.
  39. killer1171090

killer1171090

We understand your situation, but a lot of us actually never recieved terrain engine, as Junglee left but kept the website and purchasing online for a while longer. You said that closed source will get 50% off but the full source will not get a discount. We understand your situation, so understand ours. a lot of use spent thousands, on something we never got. and you expect us to willing to pay thousands more? Even the terrain engine we got was broken, we cant even figure out how to make the Cube terrains work. And that is YOUR system, and you expect us to pay agian for something that will likely be the same broken system? Think of it as an expensive demo, a demo that was broken, barely worked. And that was the full version. Of course a lot of us will not want to buy it agian, because we did, and it was broken, and barely worked. Things were named oddly, and nothing worked the way it was supposed to. Why cant you just give us updates for what we purchased and legally own. You gave Junglee the rights to sell it and to give support and such. But it is still YOUR tool, not junglees. We all listened to you, we went to junglee because YOU said to. And because you told us to, we lost thousands. And instead of even saying sorry, you tell us to give you thousands instead? Hell no! You dont seem to be caring about our situation, and are just trying to squeeze more money out of us. Stop for a second, and look at this from our side.

We purchased from Junglee because you said to, paid thousands, then Junglee dissapeared, and you did a little as well. First thing we thought, Scam, you guys had us buy it then ran away with the money. Then you tell us that junglee ran away and took the money, but we dont know that, we got no proof of that. But we trusted you, you then say, we have to buy it agian from you. HELL NO, we just got scammed thousands because you said for us to, and now you want to take more money from us? We dont even know if your telling the truth, so of course we wont do it! So far from what we can gather, you teamed up with junglee, sold terrain engine, took the money, setup this situation to make people believe it was a mistake, for us to then buy it agian, just so you can repeat the process?

Thats our view on this situation, now as you should be able to see, its a pretty damn valid reason to be mad. We trusted you, many times, and each time we trusted you, we got hit by something bad. And I yet to find a sorry from you.

Stop wanting us to understand you, and understand us, we are the victims of junglee, not you. They ran away with OUR money, not yours. We did not get what we wanted, so the money should be ours, we never got the refunds we wanted, nothing. Thats IF what you say about junglee is correct!

Recon03 likes this.
  40. djarcas

djarcas

Well, if the @dyox version is totally separate to the Junglee, one, and Junglee are a totally separate entity who are now defunct and @dyox has decided to wash his hands, I've got the full source grab when it was made live, and can upload it somwhere.

41. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Is there a way I can buy this? It looks really cool! I have seen reviews and stuff. I understand. But is there a eta on when it will be available?

Thank you and happy new year!! :D
    XaloX

42. CyberVR

CyberVR

Thanks for the reply Thomas [Dyox], and sorry about things with you killer1171090... I feel if you can show the receipt to Thomas [Dyox] of your purchase with Junglee he should send you the product you have bought.. Just to save the peace even if they ran of with the money because if you look after the customer, the customer looks after you..

By doing this for people that purchase thru Junglee with a receipt, it can start to make some trust and still be in the standing to continue to sell the product once its available for sale again in its new Unity 2018 version..

Mistakes can be made, and this looks like a excellent asset.. Its going to make money if its at the right price and supported.. Hey, Thomas this could end up being your only product that you focus on and wouldn't that be fun.. You have something BIG here.. Hold on to it and make some money :) But be reasonable, and lets get making some awesome games and simulations ;)

And if you can port it over to Unreal Engine to make a few extra coins LOL, I was trying to use UE4 for Voxel and was getting no where, not that supported yet.. So I have installed Unity hoping that yours would be soon ready to buy..

All I can say is get a version that has no failed code, even if you have to remove features and get selling it.. At least we can start moving forward in our creations and you get money in your pocket to move forward with updates..

Like I said, you have something BIG here... So get unbusy and busy with this... LOL... ;)

43. killer1171090

killer1171090

I did show the reciept and if you want i can show you, If you were in the junglee chat room while all this was happening you would completely understand where im coming from. And so does every other person in that room. We got scammed, dyox has not even said sorry for his very large mistake on telling us to buy from junglee.
    Also seems like hes avoiding responding to things surrounding that idea.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Recon03 likes this.
  44. CyberVR

CyberVR

I was not doubting you, I was just trying to make a suggestion.. I did not see that room sorry... I have not even bought the product and would just like it to be resolved and most of all want you to be treated as a customer and get what you paid for.. I am just a person waiting to buy this, but at the same time... With all this going on I may just go back to Unreal Engine and wait for Phyronnaz to do his Voxel Plugin....

45. killer1171090

killer1171090

Sorry I came off a bit pissed, thats mostly because I am, but not at you. Dyox is handling this in a really stupid way, and honestly I cannot understand why he is making the choices he is making. Due to this, my only option I can choose right now is to assume Dyox was in with junglee and intended for all this to happen to take more money out of us.

46. CyberVR

CyberVR

I feel for you, lets hope he does the right thing and get this resolved... And fix you and the others that have ended up with nothing.. It does make it harder to buy from his website or another now! Trust.. Maybe the Unity Asset store maybe the only way to move forward now... I am hesitant to buy from any website, cause of what has happened to you.. Would not be sure even thru Paypal.. At least with the asset store Unity has it ready to download at the point of sale.. Lets hope all gets fixed my friend and we all can get on with our creations :) Wishing you a better year... But for people that has already paid I totally agree.. Thomas needs to just send them what they paid for even if he has lost money due to Junglee, at this point he is send a digital file at no cost just to keep the peace and to build trust.. Positive posts is what he needs now..

47. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Any Update on TerrainEngine?

Cheers!
    XaloX

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  48. killer1171090

killer1171090

Websites down and he hasent responded in 3 months. Come on dyox, the least you could do is respond to people. I have seen you online almost every day. Your online right now as I type this.

Im sure you can understand that I lost money and got nothing that was promised, and im considering turning this into a legal situation, as I and many others gave our money to you for something we never got. Does not matter if Junglee stole the money Its your asset, and you told us to purchase from Junglee. Its your responsibility.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    recon0303 likes this.
  49. dyox

dyox

I understand.

I'm working on TerrainEngine V12 on Unity 2018 (beta) (jobs/async GPU read back/HD SRP)

For now ("pour le moment"): CityGine/UniGine/TerrainEngine are not updated/available, but i'm still working on them.
    I will communicate more when unity 2018.1 will be released.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  50. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

patiently waiting for TE v12, it would be great to post some info for a while to keep us updated.

dyox likes this.