Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. recon0303

recon0303

MAYA 2016, net work license cost over 10 grand US.... So your in for a lot of trouble ... If you aren't going to buy any software to make games....Sure there is Blender, but huge difference between tools, YOU pay for what you get...Same goes with Terrain Engine..

2. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Sorry, when the middleware for an engine cost way more then the engine itself. He didn't price it because of its value, he priced it to be selective of who he allowed to use it. Which is his right as he made it, but lets not pretend it's worth his asking price.

3. killer1171090

killer1171090

This tool is worth the price, I have used it, and it outranks Every single voxel-based system for Unity.
    You are in the game development world, good things are not cheap, you does pay for what you get.
    I have paid almost $50,000 on my game and only about $0 of that on Unity itself so far.

dyox and neoshaman like this.
  4. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

Yes Killer is right, this is the best voxel based terrain system available to unity but I would imagine there would be a bit more polish to the software and any service for the customers. It is how it is and we cannot do anything about it.

5. killer1171090

killer1171090

Dyox is constantly working on the engine adding new features every day, But when in comes to customer service... let's just say it's not up to par with the tool he is selling.

dyox and neoshaman like this.
  6. recon0303

recon0303

A tool is only worth what the users itself say it is...so if the users are saying its worth the asking price, then it is...its NOT the developers fault YOU sir can't afford it.....When you release all of YOUR GAMES ARE you releasing them for free??? I mean, people are making a living... here.. and again if a tool is worth what we say it is, then it is... This tool is one of the best ones for Voxel out there, I been in this industry for over 20 years.. and seen a lot of them.. I also was one that got screwed by the other developer, so no one can call me a fan boy either as I'm still NOT happy about it, but after using it I been pretty impressed by it. I been a programmer most of my life , 42 years old ....I charge over 200 an hour, so I buy this tool say it cost 3 grand.... I can't make this tool in 15 hours.......So by paying the 3 grand, I already saved money and time.... as a professionally developer time is money.. Which is why I buy the best tools such as TE, Maya, Substance etc..

anyways, sorry but I can't agree with your logic about wanting the developer to release for free until you can make money... If you want to play with the big dogs , you need to shell our the cash for the tools... sorry to be a dick here, but I hate this nonsense with people WANTING people to work for free..

Best of luck either way. on what you do. There are plenty of cheaper Voxel Engines on the store. to.

Tethys, neoshaman and killer1171090 like this.
  7. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Who said anything about me. I was giving feedback and my opinion.

8. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

If i had a need for this, I would buy it, but I don't.

dyox likes this.
  9. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

and if you recall recon, I said
    "That was his right"

10. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

but I will tell you, there is a reason VoxelFarm went from $50-100k to a low of $19/yr

11. dyox

dyox

But, here you are :)

Sorry, i will not answer to anyone about the current subject. I'm actually busy with the code ;).
    Just : Beta 11 is ready. 80s -> 17s loadtime (ultra mode) and a lot of new optimizations.
    Youtube video is coming with all new features. https://trello.com/b/KN6UKYhH
    And also few tutorials video will be available.
    A new Minerals system, new storage compression/management and asset bundle manager for trees, Procedural LOD and HandPlaced objects.
    Also the "in editor plugin" is in progress : 60%. Grass/Details and Terrain are modifiable in realtime in unity editor.
    The fracture system now allow custom scripts to add effects : (RealisticEffects compatible with multiple new terrain modification effects, fully networked with auto sync over all clients)
    Desktop 05.29.2017 - 06.26.24.01.png Desktop 05.29.2017 - 06.30.12.02.png
    "Images from realistic effects, realtime terrain modification images soon"
    Thanks.

Tethys and recon0303 like this.
  12. dyox

dyox

Also voxeland and mapmagic are available if you need a solution for a procedural voxel terrain.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!content/9180
    It's only €101.84 .
    Voxeland.jpg

Or 'Ultimate' Terrain
    For : €101.84
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31100

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    recon0303 and whatbus2000 like this.
  13. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Trust me... I've tried ALL of these voxel solutions, and they've all failed me. That's why I am waiting for yours. From what I know of it, and the videos, etc, yours is the "Ultimate" solution.

14. recon0303

recon0303

confused, then why are you here?? if you have no interest?? Your welcome to be here...but to sit here and bash it in my opinion what is negative comments about how a tool is NOT worth its price tag with out using, is very subjective thinking ......Dunno how anyone can comment about a tool, or a game they never used or played...Just saying..Your welcome here..but if you don't need why bother bitching about the price? Just saying, anyways I have more important things to do ...

@dyox its looking better every day. Keep up the good work.

Tethys and dyox like this.
  15. recon0303

recon0303

Because they want to sell in bulk.....which is what some people do in business.....Dyox would rather sell quality, and sell for what its worth maybe,? Not talking for him, but I been in business and ran enough to know, people think cheaper is always better......Its not...If DYOX sold in bulk, he would need to hire a support team.....This is what hurt Bolt causing him to sell..He couldn't keep up with support....and do coding all day to make the product better.. This is one reason... why they do it.

dyox likes this.
  16. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I didn't say I had no interest... Just because the project I have currently i don't have a use, doesn't mean I wouldn't in the future.... I guess you're only allowed one project ever??

17. killer1171090

killer1171090

18. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Is this compatible with TerrainComposer2?

19. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Not a clue. Dyox has been and will be mega busy for a very long time with this so buying it is out of the question for Idk how long. I doubt it though because terraincomposer2 uses unity terrain and this is a voxel terrain engine.

dyox likes this.
  20. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

It says Beta 11 is ready? Is there any chance I could get a hold of that to test it? I've been dying to find out if Terrain Engine is the engine I have been looking for. Pun intended.

21. dyox

dyox

I provide an unity terrain to terrainengine converter system. So yes terrain composer is compatible.
    Beta is ready and actually in test.
    When everything is done I will inform everyone.
    Since v10, a lot of systems have changed.

neoshaman and ikemen_blueD like this.
  22. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

That's what I like about TE, Dyox keeps updating and improving the system. Other voxel systems from AS either stop development or are not ready for production level. Please send me the new version of TE, when it is ready :)

dyox likes this.
  23. dyox

dyox

I'm actually fixing few major bugs, and testing with few person the current version.
    I'm targeting the full planet sized system, TerrainEngine V11 will be the biggest update since the creation of TE.
    -Unlimited Terrain draw distance
    -Auto management of floating origin for all objects
    -In Editor modification
    -Realtime destruction of the terrain, with fracture and effects
    -Unlimited trees density
    -Grass/Detail management with LOD and effects
    -Loadtime reduced to only few seconds for XXkm3 of terrain
    -Solo/Host/Dedicated servers for a fully networked terrain system (compatible with all networking solution like photon,etc)
    -Management of AssetBundle for a complete planet using a lot of assets, with auto unloading.
    And more....

ikemen_blueD and neoshaman like this.
  24. neoshaman

neoshaman

Now we are talking, eager to see what you will come next!

As long it's possible to query at least the id of neighboring cell (mostly important cross seams and poles) So I can build "infinite" road sequences ... That's where I have been stuck in my prototype, shouldn't be hard though, I was burned out.

25. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Is this for real? Give it to me or I don't believe you LOL

neoshaman likes this.
  26. Fenris2

Fenris2

That is a really, really darn impressive list. Drool worthy even. I kind of wonder how fast you can do fly over terrain, as that has always been a voxel weakness due to increased memory/complexity.

But the one 'feature' I do not see mentioned is the lower cost upgrade paths (closed source/open source) for those of us stuck from the Junglee era. Is something on that finally going to come about with this upcoming release? Or. . .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    MarkusGod likes this.
  27. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I hope to god you're still keeping it at that $200 USD price range because I can't afford anymore no matter how amazing an asset is lol.

dyox and killer1171090 like this.
  28. dyox

dyox

Hi everyone, just some screens of the current work. Loadtime was reduced to 19s(from 80s V10) on my demo scene, and 12s on another project (4km3 terrain to 10km3)(1.4 go of memory used)
    I'm actually working on 3 big updates :
    -AssetBundle management (auto management and asset bundle creation/download/unload)
    -Unlimited terrain draw distance, using, finally, Quadtree with multiple level (base for planets)
    -Unity Editor preview and modification (exactly like with the Unity Terrain with voxels)
    Desktop 06.16.2017 - 00.24.03.01.jpg Desktop 06.16.2017 - 00.24.21.02.jpg Desktop 06.16.2017 - 02.55.43.16.jpg Desktop 06.16.2017 - 03.01.49.17.jpg Desktop 06.16.2017 - 00.27.41.05.jpg

-Also i'm still working on a better Tree LOD system. Specially for billboard, i will soon add a speedtree support with a custom "LODGroup" management system. i don"t want 10k or 100k speedtree object but 1000K. And TE will manage everything at 60-90fps (VR)
    (And offcourse, the fracture system and destruction effects are already working, i will create a youtube video with all new features since V10)

You can follow my progress on my trello :
    https://trello.com/b/KN6UKYhH

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  29. dyox

dyox

Hello everyone,
    i'm glad to announce the new V11 Trees Processor is almost done.
    It's now possible to render any object (Unity Trees, GameObjects,SpeedTree, LODGroup) with no limit of count.(Colliders,Batching,Fading and Scriptable effects)
    Also, Details and Trees now use the new AssetBundleManager system. They are loaded and unloaded on the fly.
    It avoid to load all objects of all biomes at start.
    I've made a small video of the new Tree Renderer in action : (1.605.500 Trees)
    (130+fps) Tested on 970,1060,1070, all RX

The complete Terrain/Grass/Trees update time is <1ms (in build).
    Trees.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  30. Tethys

Tethys

Amazing!

dyox and ikemen_blueD like this.
  31. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Waiting for the new site with tutorials and a the new version for an affordable price.

Fenris2 and dyox like this.
  32. dyox

dyox

Thank you.
    I've added some 3D noises and made some screens with falling plants and climbing plants (Everything is procedural) (2.500.000 Trees)

Fenris2, Tethys and neoshaman like this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

How much does this cost again?

34. Frpmta

Frpmta

Hey dyox, I see you still mention DX11.

Aren't there some DX12 features that would make it perform even faster?

dyox likes this.
  35. dyox

dyox

Hey, no dx12 will allow unity to perform faster but it's not related to TerrainEngine systems.
    I'm using instancing that require dx11.
    With dx12 it's normally possible to have a lot more drawcalls but terrainengine already have multiple systems that batch meshes and reduce the drawcalls to 2k or 3k on ultra mode.

After that it will depend of your game complexity.

36. dyox

dyox

The non source code version will cost 200-300$. The website is still under construction. I must finish some systems of v11 before posting the new website link.

37. Xype

Xype

Man the videos and screenshots look great. All this hype is great and all, but so many of us have been waiting on the edge of our seats for this for so long. Man I don't care if its borked a bit right now, lemme give you my money, TAKE MY MONEY so I can start fiddling with it.

Edit: I know my first post, but I been lurking at this for almost a year now, and its been months you said you would put that site with a buy link for us, you gonna finish v11 and oops cant do it working on v12? TAKE MY MONEY then hire a webdev lmao

38. Fenris2

Fenris2

Now I may want to shoot myself later (or even now) for saying this - because your right a lot of us have been waiting... But Dyox is right to finish / polish before release of v11.

Keep in mind he is a one man show. So if stuff is buggy / difficult and lacking tuts / support, he will be tied up doing large amounts of support, and not dev. Secondly, there were issues with the Junglee release, and I am not sure he wants his reputation tied into even the potential of another problematic launch at this point.

dyox, neoshaman and Tethys like this.
  39. killer1171090

killer1171090

What about people who purchased from junglee?

Rickmc3280, dyox and MarkusGod like this.
  40. dyox

dyox

Hi @Xype !
    :D I'm sorry, TerrainEngine looks great since years but i'm not focused on "LET THEM ALL SEND THEIR MONEY". I'm trying to provide a complete Engine

But : Actually, i'm working on the future of TerrainEngine. (v10 89s to load v11, 7 seconds now. 2.5go V10 :V11 0.4m0)
    And : actually : 11 months without public updates.

But : I'm working on a general framework and global systems to provide a procedural generation engine for:
    -Heightmap (biomes,Trees,Grass/Details,Rivers,Volcanoes,Caves,(what else ?)
    -Cities (Roads,buildings,Pedestrian,Bridges,etc, and ... etc...)
    -Galaxies (Everyone following my channel know i'm specialized on space :D, Solar,Planets,Comets,Black holes,Pulsars,etc etc etc etc etc)

So : i will communicate next week about the new purchase system.

@killer1171090 : I've received, finally, the complete list of all customers of Junglee Team.
    yes : ? : (...)...(and ... w.t.from of someone who has disappeared since months)

The non source code will be reduced by 50% for junglee team users.

The current non source code price is : 300$. (1 year update/support)
    And full source code license : 3000$ (1 year updates/support)

The price is high for source code, why ?:
    -Soure code,Source code ???
    -Support (24/24h 7/7d)
    -Direct access : Phone,Mail,Skype.
    -Custom systems requests
    -TerainEngine Core modification
    -Systems priority importance.

TerrainEngine is an ENGINE
    -Threading
    (PC,Mobile,PS4,XBOXOne,Switch,etc)
    -Pooling (class/GameObjects and this system is more, way more clever than all other solutions for unity)
    -Caching
    -Biome Management (HeightMap, Grass,Details,Trees,GameObjects,Floating Islands and more)
    -Complete GUI Interface for :
    (Biomes, Grass,Details,Trees,Floating Islands,Procedural Caves,Water,etc)
    -Asset Bundle Management ( online or on disk (grass/details/trees) ) (used also for the next CityGine updade)
    -Asset Bundle AES Encryption (using password,good luck to hackers or players that want to extract and use models or textures)
    -Network: Dedicated server, Client/Server, Solo
    -Terrain Modification Effects : Fracturing, Grass/details/trees effects (Falling trees, grass/details particles, and SO Much more)
    -ConstructionKit : Buildings, destruction, fracturing, custom voxel ?

-Custom Shaders :
    Trees
    Terrain Triplanar (3 Sides, Noises, Distant texture scale,vertical tiling (Canyons) etc etc)(by default)
    MegaSplat Support (Cluster and all magasplat systems)
    Aquas : Custom Underwater events on fluids

Complex and extended framework for unity :
    --Using reflection
    --Forget List/Queue/Stack and most of Unity functions. ( ;) )
    --0 Garbage Impact, massive C# optimizations/hacks :D
    --Custom inlining
    -- And so much tricks and hacks !

And so many things that I forgot tonight.

It's the 07/23. I hope to finish : Beta 07/30.

Thomas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  41. domiii

domiii

Is there any chance to get free copies for educational purposes? Powerful tools like this can really ignite creativity in young minds. To my mind, making it easier to create means more motivation, more "juice" as well as "flow" in the learning process.

I am helping people learn and build with Unity (and other tools), ranging from middle school to University and beyond (and make very little money doing so). Different people focus their learning on different things. Some mostly enjoy playing and talking about games, while others love building in Minecraft, while others dwell deeper and really go into using more professional tools for building, and from there even get motivated to write the occasional line of code!

I totally understand if free/cheap educational licensing is not possible for you and your team (at this point). Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more of this awesome engine! :)

42. Tethys

Tethys

Well done Thomas, this is going to be awesome for our projects. We now have two games on Steam using Terrain Engine(our 2nd game is now registered and were hoping to finish in the next 2 months). ;)

43. VasyaCullin

VasyaCullin

Guys I bought TerrainEngine then you quarreled and people started to return the funds. So at that moment I stopped following the project. Github has not had updates for 7 months. Where to get the new version. Please contact me vasyacullin@gmail.com

44. killer1171090

killer1171090

Although we appreciate your admission of poor management (Which you seem to have edited your post and removed that part.), wouldn't it be better business practice to give to those that did pay and support this engine, what they paid for, and then keeping them on as happy customers, who would be happy to buy upgrades and add-ons down the line because they know they will get what they pay for? I have lost a bit of trust with this whole transaction and very hesitant to give even more of my money towards something I am already meant to own. I am sure you can understand being on the other end of this, the consumer, we paid for a product that we did not get. I understand you may have been taken advantage by Junglee and I am sorry for that but I don't feel we should suffer (by paying twice) because of your poor choices. In my opinion, it should be offered free for those that have already paid and put their trust in this project and its developer, or at bare minimum make it by "donation" where we can pay what we choose to.

dyox likes this.
  45. blacksun666

blacksun666

dyox likes this.
  46. dyox

dyox

@killer1171090 : I understand your position. But prices will not change. I've worked a lot on TerrainEngine and i will provide demos on the website if you need to test it more before to buy it.
    Also all my work is on Trello : https://trello.com/b/KN6UKYhH

@blacksun666 : TerrainEngine already support MegaSplat, RTP and CTS Shaders.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Tethys, NEETGAME and blacksun666 like this.
  47. NEETGAME

NEETGAME

Hello,
    We e-mailed you last night with a few enquiries :) We are, initially, interested in buying your product :) Just dropping a freindly nudge that you have mail :)
    Awaiting your reply :)

dyox likes this.
  48. killer1171090

killer1171090

We understand you have spent many hours on this, but we already purchased this and a lot of money went into it, and all we get told is "Buy it again".

I want to ask you a question, If you purchased something expensive on the internet from some random stranger, and never got what you purchase, then they ask you to pay again and you might get it, would you do it?

dyox likes this.
  49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@killer1171090
    Also i understand that you lost money dyox do not take your money so he is the wrong person to put the blame on.

50. killer1171090

killer1171090

I never said he did take the money, nor did I blame him.
    But then again I haven't seen any proof that he did indeed not receive the money other than his word. The money he would have gotten would have gone to him, he then would have split the money to junglee. Unless junglee got the money first, and if that's the case then that was a huge mistake on his part.