Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerrainComposer to create AAA realistc terrains. [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Feb 26, 2013.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Terrain Composer, An Unity3d Extension Tool for making AAA Terrain(photorealistic)/Scene in just minutes…

TerrainComposer version 1.02 with documentation, island tutorial and procedural heightmap tutorial is availible for $90. TerrainComposer is also availible at the Asset Store. The price might go up in the future. For purchasing visit my site.

Older thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/16...-AAA-realistic-terrains-beta-version-released

Visit www.terraincomposer.com for more information and screenshots.

A runtime video showing some demo scenes created with TerrainComposer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DluFi3zVTYM&feature=youtu.be

A new youtube video showing different terrain decorations (beach,desert,forest,jungle,mountains) on the same Terrain Tiles (Island). Also trees/bushes/grass placement and object placement of stones/trunks/leaves. And a short runtime demo of the jungle at the end.

First youtube video (much more will follow):

Second multiple terrain exploration youtube video:

Terrain Composer is an Unity Extension Tool that enables developers to compose AAA quality Unity Terrain. It uses the standard Unity Terrain. It's also a Scene/Level/City/Village Composer. And with a few clicks you create astonishing results. It has a friendly GUI interface and is very easy to learn. Creating terrain that normally takes days or weeks to make, with this tool it only takes a few minutes! Saving you tons of work and time. Speed, quality and realism is the strength of this tool. And it’s curve, layer and filter based! The possibilities are endless. The layers and filters can be used for example to blend splat textures on height, random, degree, normals or an image etc. A small change in a curve or filter gives a totally different terrain. It has many features. One of the features is that it allows unlimited colors being added over the terrain using a colormap. So instead of the limitation of splat textures, it gives your terrain more color variation and a much higher level of realism. Another feature is that you can add shades to the terrain blended with the colormap or the splatmap, using for example a cloud texture. This gives another added level of realism. It allows fast placement of any objects like rocks, trees, bushes, grass, houses, fences, etc were you can use an image as a blue print and a color for each object. For placement every detail can be selected: scale range, rotation range, position range, even the colors of trees can be selected from a range.

Another feature is that it has the ability to create instances whitin instances to many levels. For example if you want to place houses in your level. You can use an image as your map (top view), and specify were you want the houses to be placed. You can select more spots, and Terrain Composer can choose randomly from those spots, or whatever condition you prefer. Once a house is placed you can run another area setup which you make for that house. It can be an image (map) from the garden for placement of trees and bushes around the house, a shed, a road to the front door, etc. It will be even possible to randomly place furniture in the house. And then you can even take it futher, for example a table is placed (you let Terrain Composer choose a table from a list of tables) inside the house. And then you can run an image(map) for placement of chairs around the table, things on the table, like a plant, diner plate, laptop, etc, etc. In this way you can create a whole Scene at once, but with the variation and quality you need.

Here’s a list (not complete) of the features:

Here’s a list (not complete) of the features:

Compatibility:
    ■ Works with Unity 3.x and 4, as well as free version and professional version.

User Interface:
    ■ Easy,flexible and colorful user interface.
    ■ Complete hierarchy database.
    ■ While generating terrains it's still possible to continue working in Unity.
    ■ Activation/Deactivation for each group/component/output.
    ■ Edit Layer and Description names.
    ■ Save/Load whole setup, layer groups, layers, color ranges and generated textures.
    ■ Copy/Paste/Swap any component within the hierarchy.
    ■ Undo/Redo for deleted components.
    ■ Import/Export generated output to Texture (Normalmap, splatmap, colormap and heightmap).

Terrains:
    ■ Supports Multiple (unlimited) Terrains which can be created automatically.
    ■ Import/Export .Raw 16bit heightmap files.
    ■ Imports large .Raw files with resolution >4096 and spread them over multiple terrains.
    ■ Automatically arrange positions of multiple terrain to one big tile, or rearrange when changes the size, with one click.
    ■ Use real World data heightmaps.
    ■ Use real World satelite images.
    ■ Automatically seach and add terrains from the Scene with one click.
    ■ Fast resolution/size/splat/trees/grass and detail assignment and apply to multiple terrains.
    ■ Parameter edit on mulitiple terrains.
    ■ Create a custom square area for each terrain, or create one square world area over multiple terrains.
    ■ Control the loop steps of each area according to any resolution (heightmap/splatmap,etc)/unity/custom for required detail.
    ■ Option to automatically stitch terrain borders.
    ■ Automatically add a neighbour script to all the terrains to get seamless tiles with one click.
    ■ Automatically add a parameter script for distances of basemap/tree/detail/etc to all terrains with one click.
    ■ Reset buttons for heightmap,trees and detailmap.
    ■ Active/Deactive each terrain.

Tools:
    ■ Measure terrains.
    ■ Stitch terrain borders.
    ■ Slice a terrain into more terrains.
    ■ Smooth terrains.
    ■ Filter Images (e.g. Satelite) on colors and export the texture.
    ■ Create Heightmap/Pattern Textures.

Layer outputs:
    ■ Heightmap.
    ■ Colormap.
    ■ Splatmap.
    ■ Tree.
    ■ Grass/Detail.
    ■ Object.

Ouput options:
    ■ Create unlimited amout of layers.
    ■ Create unlimited amount of filters within each layer.
    ■ Create unlimited amount of subfilters within each filter.
    ■ Use filter and curve settings to create any kind of blending, it works on all layer outputs.
    ■ Object placement from blueprint or any filter option, specifying scale range, rotation range, position range, different colors (trees), distance between each object, rotation map,etc, etc.
    ■ Automatic parenting with placing objects, automatic combine children meshes for optimum performance.
    ■ Place instances within instances.

There's many more features and soon I will add more to the list.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    nedma007 likes this.
  2. Knightmore

Knightmore

Really awesome and mighty asset, needs lots of time to work through all the options.

Are you going to keep the Updatefunction in the version bought from your site with paypal, now that it's released in the asset store?

3. sefou

sefou

Hi pathelion,

at Terrain Composer/Menu/Help , you have an magic Update... ;)

Nb: i have version Final 1.02

4. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I keep to update function in there, so also the users who bought from the asset store will have the latest update always. Other wise I have to submit an update everytime to the asset store. Now I can do it in sections. Like sending an update to asset store when it's 1.1

5. Rico21745

Rico21745

I don't see info on it anywhere so I thought I'd ask:

Can you create terrains from scratch without using an image of a real location? Does it have functions for noise, erosion, and pretty much al lthe stuff you'd need to generate a "realistic" terrain without having real world location data?

6. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes this is possible. There's advanced perlin with curve mixing possible, which you can use unlimited times on top of each other, with this combination you can make any procedural landscape possible. I'm just about making a video for this. I already included a procedural heightmap tutorial in the new update 1.02.

Heightmap creation

The link is terrain I fully made with TerrainComposer procedurally.

You can see the erosion looks already good, but I'm still working on an erosion system:

This is what I got so far.

7. topofsteel

topofsteel

Can Terrain Composer be used at a smaller scale? Say on a terrain of 150x150? How would I incorporate 8 materials, I use TRP also. Thanks.

8. eagle555

eagle555

That's a good question. Yes TerrainComposer can be used on very small single terrain, size doesn't matter, it can be changed anytime. With RTP you can use 8 splat textures maximum, the same splat textures are visable in TC and RTP.

9. topofsteel

topofsteel

One other question, can TC be used on a mesh? If not, would it be hard to adapt to a mesh? Thanks.

10. eagle555

eagle555

That's a good question. TC can't read from a mesh, but you can convert Unity terrain to a mesh with T4M (for now) and TC2 has a mesh converter.

11. topofsteel

topofsteel

Yes, I had been used T4M with meshes created in 3ds max. But I was looking for a better texturing and tree placement solution, which led me to RTP and Tom recommended terrain composer. I liked using meshes because I could get a lot more detail. Like when I building pad cuts into as slope, I cant get a vertical slope using terrains and you can see the terrain in the building. When is Terrain Composer 2 coming out? Is there a price difference and can we upgrade from the current release? Thanks.

12. eagle555

eagle555

With RTP you can use meshes to create more detail on the unity terrain. I don't have an ETA for TC2 yet. But it will be ready in about 2 months. The upgrade will be for free.

13. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

Is there a performance difference to creating the terrain with the standard Terrain tool? And will this plugin work on iPhone and iPad without any larger performance issues?

14. eagle555

eagle555

That's a good question. No there's not a performance difference as TC works with standard Unity terrain.

Nathaniel

15. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hi Nathaniel..

I've been looking at a couple of tools for terrain building.. With Terrain Composer, can it handle creating coastlines and surrounding ocean space for islands and continents I create with the tool? I'm looking for something like the continents in WoW or the old EQ where the surrounding oceans seemed to go forever but the boat ride on them would switch instances after a certain point and trying to swim them seemed to go on forever to give the appearance of a huge world separated by huge oceans.. I'm looking at continents being the sizes of those in WoW, EQ, Vanguard, etc. Initially I plan on starting with an island about the size of Teldrassil (WoW) or Faydwer (EQ)..

Just want to make sure I'd have the ability to do this before purchasing. Funds are a bit tight and I spent $150 this past months in mmo assets/framework that didn't do what I wanted them to before finally finding a framework I liked. I'd prefer to make sure my terrain tool does what I need before dropping another $100.. You wouldn't by chance have a lite pack or demo pack that has limited features where I could see how it handles the actually terrain building part, would you?

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions... :)

16. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Shawn,

With TerrainComposer you can create any kind of terrain, also islands with coast lines. You can use TerrainComposer in runtime for this. So yes what you want to create is possible with TC. I don't have a limited version, but many videos that show what it can do.

Nathaniel

17. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Thanks Nathaniel.. I'll grab a copy next week when I get paid. My main concern was being able to be able to have a multi-cube border around the continent/island to give that endless ocean appearance... Now I'll just need to develop a player script for swimming fatigue so they'll drown after a certain fatigue point.. lol

Thanks for the quick response..

Shawn

18. Grespon

Grespon

Hi,
    I can't make the normal texture to work on Splat Textures..
    There's an input to a material.. I put none..
    There's an input to the texture, it works.. and there's an input to the normal.. it makes no difference.

I don't have RTP.

Thanks

EDIT: Solved.. my bad. I needed to assign a material using the Unity's shader Nature > Terrain > Bumped Specular

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  19. RSH1

RSH1

Is there a tutorial for how to convert Unity Terrain to mesh anywhere?

20. topofsteel

topofsteel