Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain upgrade filenames are much too long

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I noticed several issues with Win10 itself, e. g. project folder size calculation wasn't possible anymore. Or when you click "Show in Explorer" on a project file in the Unity Editor, it only opens the explorer, but doesn't navigate to the file.

I tracked the issue down to the file names being much too long, they exceed the limit of 256 characters.

It happened e. g. after I imported the Meadow Environment from the asset store. Example of an upgraded filename:

Assets/NatureManufacture Assets/Meadow Environment Dynamic Nature/Demo Scenes/_TerrainAutoUpgrade/layer_T_ground_meadow_soil_01_A_SMT_ground_meadow_soil_01_N(4.000,4.000)(0.000,0.000)(0.000,0.000,0.000),0.000,0.000.terrainlayer.meta

That alone is 232 characters, put that into a proper project structure and you go beyond 256 characters easily.

I suggest not creating artificially long filenames which contain coordinates and what not.

Happened also on 2018.3, but that crashed after the import. I thought I'd try with the latest alpha, which didn't crash.

beerbellybuffalo and Waterlane like this.
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Waterlane and Rowlan like this.