Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Trees in LWRP warnings

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by jensen_305, Sep 19, 2019.

1. jensen_305

jensen_305

I get the warning.
    "The Tree xxxx must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion Shader. Otherwise Billboarding/Lighting will not work correctly."

Using that shader just results in pink trees, but I expected that since I am using the LWRP.

How do I get rid of this warning?

2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

what kind of tree do you use? just a mesh? or a tree created with the tree creator?
    LWRP currently does not support any of these.

3. jensen_305

jensen_305

I am using Terrain > Add Tree > Drag and Drop gameobject in and decorate :) They show up and work but I get around about 860 warning but only have about 20 trees assigned. Should I stop using LWRP and go back to Standard to use terrain trees?

Or not use terrain trees at all and place them by hand old(but not really that old) school style?

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

even when using the built in rp trees need either the tree creator shader or the soft occlusion shader afaik.
    otherwise you will get this billboarding warning.

placing trees manually is not really a good idea as you will loose billboards.
    in case you use tree creator shaders: i am working on a version for LWRP :)

5. jensen_305

jensen_305

Tried googling Tree Creator didn't find anything. My Trees are super low poly voxel style. Not actual trees. Billboarding not important for me. Can I simply ignore the warnings. Trees look correct and point lights do work on them.

Not sure what isn't working correctly with them but it seems like the RP is missing a lot of the default stuff available in the standard shaders.

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

then set the billboard distance to match the far clipping plane, so trees will never try to billboard.
    i think so.
    right.

jensen_305 likes this.