Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Terrain tools didn't import brushes

Discussion in 'World Building' started by SassyPantsy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

I'm trying to import terrain tools on to an existing project. The terrain toolbox and all of the shortcuts work, the brushes themselves didn't import and I'm stuck with the generic ones. Tried re-importing and importing an older version.

First time this ever happened to me, I have other projects with the terrain tool brushes. Any way anybody knows where the files are and should go? I can manually import them n if I knew where they are

2. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

You may not have installed the terrain tools pack from the asset store.
    You can also make your own brushes if needed.

This pack will change UI etc too, if you don't like that, I recommend installing it and just grabbing the brushes and then uninstall it.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nature/terrain-tools-sample-asset-pack-145808

SassyPantsy likes this.
  3. SassyPantsy

SassyPantsy

Yup, exactly what I was missing -_-
    It's incredible how you miss the most obvious solutions when you're "sure you've found a better way to fix it"

Thanks.

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  4. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

No trouble at all.
    I agree sometimes things just become very convoluted.
    It's times like that you either have to step back and observe or go back to basics to realise what piece is missing.

Glad it helped you out.

SassyPantsy likes this.
  5. CaelanParsons

CaelanParsons

Mine arent showing even when I have the addon installed and imported ?

6. BlackManatee

BlackManatee

Same thing happened to me -- super frustrating. Wasted ~3 hours on this with reinstalls and imports and all, but I think I found the solution -- at least for the missing-brush problem:

I kept trying to install the terrain tools and/or the terrain sample asset pack into a TOTALLY new project (in Unity 2023.1). Though the project used the built-in rendering pipeline, the extra terrain brushes were missing, and I kept getting errors about missing scripts/resources/shaders from HDRP and the URP, even though I hadn't EVER installed/enabled them.

Turns out that the package manager *insists* on importing "package dependencies" and those dependencies apparently include BOTH the HDRP and URP rendering pipelines. Once I told Unity *not* to install the package-manager dependencies, everything went smoothly and I was able to access the upgraded stamps/brushes as usual.

I've always trusted the package manager regarding dependencies, but I'm going to be far more skeptical now!

7. berzeg

berzeg

FYI I think I faced the same issue as you and it was simply because I didn't have the Terrain Tools Sample Assets installed (I was following an old tutorial and it didn't show the step where they install the asset pack). Anyway, you should see a button in your Package Manager for the Terrain Tools package that prompts you to install the sample assets (I attached a pic showing the button in the package manager).

Attached Files:

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.