Search Unity

Terrain Tools Brush Rotation/Strength not working

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Supratec, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Supratec

Supratec

Hey im new to Unity, im playing around with Unity for a few days now. One thing i mentioned as i tried to build my first Terrain is that i cant rotate and change the strength of a Brush with the Shortcuts A and D. For whatever reason S for the Size works as it should.
    I imported Terrain Tools 3.0.2 and the Asset Samples

Is there something i miss? i checked the Shortcuts and they are set to A S D as it should.

2. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Trying out the Terrain tools as well... all I have is Opacity and Strength. What do I need to do to enable the "stroke" controls for rotate, noise, etc that I see in all the tutorials?

FWIW, I get a note in the UI saying my brushes are "read only" is there a setting I need to toggle?

Fabricio945 likes this.
  3. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Fixed...

So if you install the Package Manager > Terrain Tools then you get the rotate, noise, etc Stroke options. Make sure you have preview package on, otherwise you won't see it.

However, if you download the terrain assets from the Unity store then you get the more limited brushes without Stroke.

4. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Do you have ProGrid, ProBuilder or PolyBrush installed... they have the same shortcuts as terrain tools and cause conflicts. Just realised as I play around here.

5. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

This is correct. The asset pack from the Asset Store only contains sample content like Terrain Layers as well as some neat brush masks with which you can use to paint your Terrain. It doesn't add any additional painting logic and functionality. For that you need to download the Terrain Tools Package.

6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

This means that the brush masks are built-in and shipped with the Editor and cannot be deleted/modified. This is unrelated to the rotation, size, and strength settings

7. marios_chr

marios_chr

Maybe this will help someone, I had the same problem Size shortcut was working, but Rotation and Strength wasn't. I was getting NullReferenceExceptions in BrushSizeVariator.cs

The problem was that I accidentally had an extra terrain that didn't have assigned terrain data

8. Sandreus11

Sandreus11

in the latest version 2021 there is no option for enable preview packages instead there is something like pre release packages which if enabled doesn't show terrains tools packages so what should i do?? please answer

9. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hiya. Which version of 2021 are you on?

10. Barretticus

Barretticus

For any new users, like myself, struggling with this and looking for a solution with Unity 2022.3+, it took me 2 weeks to figure this out just now. I'm SO HAPPY!

you have to parse some language by some more experienced users, but it breaks down like this:

Package Manager -> Next to the Plus(+) sign, click the "Packages: " dropdown menu -> Unity Registry -> Terrain Tools -> and click INSTALL!!! It turns, out the actual Terrain Tools are an extra package to install, instead of being automatically installed like all those tutorial videos showed in pre-2021 versions of unity.

That is what will actually solve the issue, and as a side note, below is some good house keeping but is also what I had to do to figure this out:

Menu/Window -> Package Manager -> Settings (Cog icon on the right of the window) -> Advanced Project Settings

Tick the box for "Enable Pre-Release Packages"

Next to the Plus(+) sign, click the "Packages:" dropdown menu -> Unity Registry

Update all the packages that need Updates. This will also solve a lot of compiler errors and problems like that.

Then do the same with the "In Project" packages.
    Do the same with any "My Assets" Packages

Then Save and Quit. Reload your project.

Good Luck!

11. daniel_slusarz

daniel_slusarz

You are amazing! THX

12. senjiq

senjiq

Great, that works

13. MattThomSA

MattThomSA

What a legend.