Search Unity

Terrain Tools 2019.2 Package update now available through Package Manager

Discussion in 'World Building' started by wyattt_, Aug 10, 2019.

1. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Hey, everyone! As the title of the post suggests, there is a new version of our Terrain Tools package out now. The version number is 2.0.0 and works with 2019.2 ( there may be some weird UI stuff in 2019.3 ).

For this update, we focused on giving you better tooling for painting materials which ultimately led to more functionality to all the tools in the form of Brush Filters.

Brush Mask Filters are basically functions you can add to our tools via the tool's UI that modify the brush mask texture used for painting. Atm, it starts with a white texture and the end result is multiplied by the selected mask texture but we are considering passing in the selected brush mask instead of the white texture at the start of the stack.

Here's the changelog:
    • Brush Mask Filter Stack and Filters and added Brush Mask Filter Stack to each tool
    • Wind Erosion bug fixes. Looks great!
    • Noise Editor Window and new noise type "Strata"
    • TerrainToolbox Material Updates
    • Can import Splatmaps with the Terrain Toolbox
    • Bug fixing for Terrain Toolbox Gizmo
    • Terrain visualization utilities in Terrain Toolbox
    • Improved Paint Texture tool. Now uses brush controllers for size, rotation, etc.
    • Reorderable Layer List/Palette Assets
    • Eyedropper feature for Paint Texture Tool that selects the most prominent Terrain Layer in a given area
    • Fixed Mesh Stamp Tool
    • Moved Mesh to RenderTexture to public API for folks to use in their tools
    • Ability to generate noise based on input Texture. Noise Filter uses this to pipe the heightmap into the noise generation for another way of doing strata
    • Options to "Reset" brush settings to defaults added to Tool foldout headers
    • Removed AssetDatabase.Refresh from static constructor of NoiseLib
    • LOTS of bug fixing
    We also probably introduced some bugs so if you find any or have any questions, let us know!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Awesome, thank you very much :) There are a lot of nice features included.

Here are a few comments:

* Paint Texture: rename Add Layer, Remove Layer, Remove Selected Layers to Add, Remove, Remove Selected. It's all in the layers palette anyway. I'm using 2-3 layout and the buttons are cut-off.

* Move the brushes down in the filter selection. eg when you select Noise, you have to scroll down in order to see and configure the noise. I guess most will stick to a default brush for painting anyway

* When you switch to another filter, the brush scale setting is reset

* The noise preview turns red sometimes. What's the meaning of this?

3. Danua

Danua

Hi there did you fix smooth brush ?

soleron likes this.
  4. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Yeah, it sounds great only if we did not get these errors upon pressing the build button ! Tested on a working project and just now on an empty one using latest 2019.2

Did you guys tested this before release !?

EDIT : or may be i am missing something !? I don't know it just wont build a project that got build just before update to 2.0.0 !

upload_2019-8-12_18-12-49.png

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. Danua

Danua

mmm it's look like somebody forget if unityeditor region )

LoganPark, Sonorpearl and wyattt_ like this.
  6. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Looks like some Editor code got put into a runtime namespace / folder. I'll put in an issue report

Not yet. The issue is a little more complicated than we initially thought so we havent been able to invest the time to fix it yet

Sonorpearl likes this.
  7. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Can you share a screenshot? The UI here is kinda weird. Clicking the minus on the Reorderable List wont remove all the selected layers. Just the active selection

You mean the brush filters UI should move down?

Can you share a gif for this

The red shows where the noise value is greater than 1 in case you want to debug it or try to get normalized noise values. The preview will turn cyan in areas where noise values are negative but you shouldn't see that with the default noise types since those are remapped from -1 and 1 to 0 and 1 range

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

Apologies, my mistake. I resized the project panel because that's actually the one that doesn't make any sense by default. If you want to navigate down the tree, it's just too small while the inspector with the sliders is too big.

Here's how it looks by default:

1.png

And here's when I resize it:

2.png

Either way, was my mistake.

Yes, see above screenshots. I'm in paint texture mode. But the thing I want to use and change often is the textures, not the brushes. Same for the filters.

But that's all UI stuff :)

Vagabond_ likes this.
  9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Ah! I just noticed it's not actually "reset", it's just set to the value that was last used with a filter. Each filter remembers the brush size. That's rather confusing imo, I'd personally prefer to have the same brush size all the time and adjust it when i need it. But I guess every decision as their advantage and disadvantage.

Vagabond_ likes this.
  10. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

May an option can be added because i find that confusing as well !

11. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Ya we could add that as an option in the future. It's a little easier to manage since you can hold A, S, and D to change the brush strength, scale, and rotation, respectively

Rowlan likes this.
  12. Danua

Danua

Please add tools to creating road.

geraldp48 and Vagabond_ like this.
  13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Vagabond_ likes this.
  14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

15. Danua

Danua

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  16. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, since v2.0.1 adding layers menu just disappears really often.
    After going into play mode and stop it just shows up again !

Layer menu missing !
    upload_2019-8-27_17-21-16.png

Layer menu showing up after Enter/Exit play mode !

upload_2019-8-27_17-23-10.png

17. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Also it seems you got some keybinding issues. I just pressed F1 and i got this !

upload_2019-8-28_9-52-45.png

18. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi,
    these errors might be related to the missing Layer settings and also i noticed that the main color of a layer is not present some times but i can't understand when is that happening...

Currently i get these errors and the Layer settings are missing
    upload_2019-8-30_17-30-20.png

19. tomasofen

tomasofen

I had Unity 2018 installed and i have just installed "Unity 2019.3.0b1 Personal". I create a nuew empty project, open the "Package Manager" but "Terrain Tools" are not listed there. I tried to use "Help > Reset Packages to default" as i saw somewhere but i get the following error messages in the console:

Assertion failde on expression: 'txt.Exists(guid)'
    Assertion failed on expresion: 'false'

Any idea on how i can get terrain working on my installation?

20. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Did you try the "Show preview packages" option !
    You must enable that one because the Terrain Tools is still in peview !

ftejada likes this.
  21. tomasofen

tomasofen

Great!

Vagabond_ is now in my influencers top ten ^.^

Thanks!

Vagabond_ likes this.
  22. Danua

Danua

Hi there, blur brush still in dev? This is very critical bug, I can't develop my terrain map for my battle car game. Some wierd jittering every where on the whole terrain, wierd shaves and scar in there.

23. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Could you share an image / gif?

24. DesomondoDC

DesomondoDC

Yes I noticed this as well. Added a layer and then did some stamping. Went back to add another layer and the layer option was gone. At this point I had been working on the project for a while so I thought it was a good time to shut down for the night. When I get back in I'll check to see if it's available again.

25. chris_schubert

chris_schubert

I'm having what I think is a bug with the terrain brushes (which other than this, are awesome). This is on the Paint Terrain tab.

It seems like there must be some state stored per brush "type", (type meaning Raise Terrain, Smooth Height, etc.) which is related to the new ASD brush parameter hot keys and how the hotkey behavior prevents the brush from moving while you are resizing, etc. using the hot keys.

While working with a brush, I'm also quickly right-clicking and moving the scene camera with WASD, and sometimes Shift-WASD if I'm being impatient. The bug happens when I release the right-click before I release the WASD(QE) camera keys.

I believe the editor does 2 things simultaneously:
    1. Begin the ASD brush hotkey behavior.
    2. Change the editor tool mode based on whatever QWE key I have selected.

What happens next:

1. The inspector window stutters for a second, and then the brush disappears
    2. I am now in either Move, Rotate, or Scale tool mode.
    3. If I re-select the "Paint Terrain" option, immediately the brush is back but it is acting as if I have pressed an ASD hotkey (meaning it is dynamically re-sizing based on my mouse position). The position of the brush is not moving while it is being re-configured.
    4. If I press the hotkey again, it releases the brush but the brush can no longer move around the scene. It's position is still locked wherever it was whenever I fubbed the keys initially.
    5. If I select a different brush, everything works normally for that brush.
    6. If I re-select the problem brush, it is still stuck, and remains that way (despite dozens of key combinations and disable/re-re-enable of terrain, etc.).

I have had multiple different brushes stuck so it seems like it must be a per-brush state issues that is not getting reset if (speculation) the tool mode is changed whenever there is a hot-key brush reconfiguring active?

26. brettj

brettj

Replacing the splat map isn't working in 2.0.1.

I've exported the terrain splat map. I added that splatmap in the list under Terrain Utilities > Terrain Splatmaps. I select the terrain in the hierarchy and hit Export to Terrains, but nothing happens. Reset Splatmaps works as expected.

Also, if I check Preview Splatmap, I get this error: "The Texture format isn't compatable. Please change it to either RGBA32, ARGB32, or RGB24 and enable Read/Write."

27. kilik128

kilik128

any luck to know if it's possible to use in terrain tool in real time ? thank's

28. ibyte

ibyte

Trying the terrain toolbox in 2019.3b7 - Import hightmap, the controls are inactive in that section of the panel.

29. RubenCUR

RubenCUR

Hi, is anyone able to see the New Terrain when running the build on Windows? I'm using HDRP and version 2019.3.0b8 of Unity.

I'm just getting the objects collide with the Terrain but the texture is not showing. Any help? Thanks guys!

Answer: New Terrain is not yet compatible with 2019.3+

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  30. transat

transat

@wyattt_ @XiaoxiLiu I'm getting warning that I'm over the 256 keyword limit in my URP project. Checking keyword usage in my project with Shader Control, I'm seeing that the shader using the most keywords is the HDRP visualization shader in Terrain Tools. Could you please make this an option install? I don't want the LWRP or HDRP shaders taking up keywords.

Rowlan likes this.
  31. matsakovd

matsakovd

The smooth tool suddenly stopped working and causes errors
    Unity 2019.2.2f1
    TerrainTool 2.0.2

Attached Files:

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

There's already version 3 of the Terrain Tools in the Package Manager, try that one.

33. matsakovd

matsakovd

I have tried this. Did not help :(

34. Rowlan

Rowlan

Can you post the console output with the error for the latest terrain tools, i. e. 3.0.1?

35. matsakovd

matsakovd

Code (CSharp):
    1. Unknown error occurred while loading ''.
    2. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    3. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Object at index 0 is null
    2. UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object obj) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.get_brushMaskFilterStackView () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:66)
    4. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:326)
    5. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.SmoothHeightTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/SmoothHeightTool.cs:87)
    6. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass55_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

Attached Files:

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's not 3.0.1: "com.unity.terrain-tools@2.0.2-preview/"

37. matsakovd

matsakovd

oh, sorry. I open other project

Code (CSharp):
    2. UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object obj) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.get_brushMaskFilterStackView () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:66)
    4. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:326)
    5. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.SmoothHeightTool.OnInspectorGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnInspectorGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/SmoothHeightTool.cs:87)
    6. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.ShowPaint () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass55_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unknown error occurred while loading ''.
    2. UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:LoadSerializedFileAndForget(String)
    3. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (CSharp):
    3. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.get_brushMaskFilterStackView () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:66)
    4. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.BaseBrushUIGroup.OnSceneGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnSceneGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/BrushControllers/BaseBrushUIGroup.cs:519)
    5. UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.SmoothHeightTool.OnSceneGUI (UnityEngine.Terrain terrain, UnityEditor.Experimental.TerrainAPI.IOnSceneGUI editContext) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.1-preview/Editor/TerrainTools/SmoothHeightTool.cs:167)
    6. UnityEditor.TerrainInspector.OnSceneGUICallback (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    8. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    9. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    11. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    12. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    13. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    17. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    18. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <d0ffe769b7a34b4cac3a7cdc5c696293>:0)
    19. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <57fa7f4ad1c34ed185465e0a9f71c244>:0)
    20. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

38. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's odd. The string shouldn't be empty because the code looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         private string getFilterStackFilePath
    2.         {
    3.             get { return Application.persistentDataPath + "/TerrainTools_" + m_Name + "_FilterStack.filterstack"; }
    4.         }
    6.         private FilterStack LoadFilterStack()
    7.         {
    8.             UnityEngine.Object[] obs = UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility.LoadSerializedFileAndForget( getFilterStackFilePath );
    10.             if( obs != null && obs.Length > 0 )
    11.             {
    12.                 return obs[ 0 ] as FilterStack;
    13.             }
    15.             return null;
    16.         }
    Have you tried emptying the Library folder and rebuild it? Nothing should happen, but make a backup to be on the safe side. Do you have ".filterstack" files?

39. matsakovd

matsakovd

Yes, I deleted the Library folder, the error persisted. I think this may be caused by some conflicts with assets, but I can’t imagine what it could be.

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

It seems to be related to the filter stack.

41. Blackshadow2k20

Blackshadow2k20

When i have selected RAISE OR LOWER TERRAIN option the size and rotation of selected brush automatically increaseing and descreaseing.I have installed latest version of terrain tool package and useing 2020.1.9f1 version of unity.
    how can i fix this

sorry for bad english

42. jeremyco

jeremyco

Unity Technologies

@Blackshadow2k20 could you post a gif or video of the issue you are seeing?

43. Italianes

Italianes

Hi everyone i have a problem with terrain tool
    can anybody help?

Attached Files:

44. Mauri

Mauri

45. sammtan

sammtan

Well I'm also having the same issue as you. I have found that there is an error in the paint texture tool script that was installed from the package manager.This error may occur due to errors in the Windows editor or miscompiling the script.

To fix this, you can reinstall to the latest version of the TerrainTools package. For me, the problem is resolved and the texture layer area is back, not lost anymore

Sorry for the bad English