Search Unity

Terrain tool sample feedback

Discussion in 'World Building' started by corjn, Nov 29, 2018.

1. corjn

corjn

Hey Terrain team,

First I'd like to thank you for your great work, it's really welcome, Unity terrain system needed a polish :)

I studied game design and game dev in general so I know how "playtest" and feedback is important during a dev process. So here is what I think as a level designer about the terrain tool sample I just downloaded and tested from github :

-The most amazing new feature for a level designer is the mesh stamp tool because you can be really precise when creating a terrain. The only thing I regret here is that I can't convert (yet ?) my ProBuilder shape into a terrain stamp.
    You certainly know this important step when building a virtual world : blocking. For indie devs like me, having a tool where you can convert this blocking into a optimized and smooth terrain really improves the workflow. (For now I just use the community script "mesh to terrain" and it's working well, but the workflow could be better)

So for me it's making sense : the forum here, world building, groups Probuilder team and Terrain team (maybe it's actually the same team) Would you be able to make a probuilder stamp, with automatic updates ? For example, I create terrain and draw a shape on it with the poly shape tool from probuilder. I connect the shape to the terrain and bam ! I have a terrace created with very precise control over it. I think it would be great and that a lot of people, (level designers) would really enjoy it.

-For anything else, but it's kind of the same, every tools would really benefit a more precise control after stamping, with auto updates. For example, I would love to see a spline controller for the bridge tool. Just imagine how the workflow would be smooth If you could just control bridges and roads with a simple spline. (Because to be totally honest, I won't the bridge tool without this feature. I'd rather make precise probuilder bridge shape and convert it into a terrain with mesh to terrain script).
    Same for the terrain stamp tool, you could have a gizmo to move the stamps (mountains)

I know the new terrain is a work in progress, so seeing that the new tools are going more more to a precise terrain engine, I take the opportunity to make these suggestions, that I hope will inspire you.

Have a nice day and thanks again for your work,

Jonathan.