Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Terrain to Mesh ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Oct 1, 2015.

1. danteswap

danteswap

Ok first Time Using T2M and I Got Problems with The tool upon generating, The textures on Generated terrain are messed up like only 1 texture is visible and all other areas with other textures are blacked out my original terrain has 5 textures . any solution

2. GameDevSA

GameDevSA

Sounds similar to my problem. Read above. Does it look a bit similar to my attached images?

3. danteswap

danteswap

Yours better Than Mine,For me all textures are Blacked out Except One texture Out Of Five

4. creat327

creat327

I have a question and if not, a request...
    is it possible to create a hole on the mesh? I explain, on my existing unity terrain i have a cave which I created with RTP (and other tools you can use too). When I convert it to a mesh, that hole is missing. It would be able to be able to reproduce it. And it's not as simple as just cutting a hole, because you need the collider which won't work by default (you can't have a collider with a hole) so you need to split the terrain on that area so that it doesn't become an impossible collider.

Is this is possible already... awesome... if not... could you add the feature please?

Thanks!

5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If Terrain Composer generates Unity terrain asset, then it can be converted to obj file.
    If terrain generated by Terrain Composer uses Unity built-in shader, then all used textures can be baked into one Basemap, custom shaders can not be baked.

Change compression quality for exported Splatmap inside Texture Import Settings to None.

Texture baking works only with Unity built-in shaders.
    If terrain uses custom shader then its textures can not be baked by T2M as its algorithm is unknown to me.

T2M converts to mesh only Unity Terrain assets. Features created by other third-party tools can not be re-created :(

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. creat327

creat327

so would you be willing to work some tool to add holes and the corresponding colliders? it would be great since one of the main reasons people convert terrain to mesh is to be able to do this kind of stuff

7. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Currently not planed.

8. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi, After generate the lightmaps, terrains become very darkish color as you can see. Is there anything I need to aware of ? Maybe I am making a mistake or setting a setting not right. Thanks..

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 19.40.10.png

9. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Can not help by that one image only.
    'Darkish' color may be from shader, do you use baked Basemaps? Try changing shader.
    If using T2M shader with Splatmaps, try Legacy or Standard T2M shaders.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  10. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Hi first of all I have a question if all shaders compatible with mobile ( android / ios ) ?
    That image uses One Directional Light / Diffuse shader for more performance, If I use Standard / Diffuse, it seems working normally,

11. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

One Directional Light shaders use less effects than other shaders (of course they are faster), but if other shaders give better results use them. As for compatibility there are the same as Unity built-in Legacy shaders.

MoribitoMT likes this.
  12. outlawxia

outlawxia

In my game i don't want use the splat map, how can i use the vertx color to replace splat map using Terrain to mesh?

13. LunguM

LunguM

I've come across an issue that I'm still not 100% sure if its related to the TerrainToMesh pack but I want to cover all bases.

I'm making a mobile game and I needed something to transform my unity terrain into a mesh to save on frames and I stumbled upon this package. All is working fine, game runs well on my device, but when I tried to run it on another device (a lower version of Android, 4.4.2 to be exact) the terrain for some reason didn't render. I tried increasing the vertex count on it, the chunck count, but it didn't work. Didn't try to run the game with the Unity terrain since not even my own mobile can run the project if I leave the unity terrain in the scene.

Another thing I noticed is that if I set the Meshes to be static (for baking) I get an error at runtime:

CompressedMeshLoader: 'Meshes' failed to load some of compressed meshes

If they aren't set to static then no error appears. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: I found out what the problem was in the end, the shader of the pack I was using was the problem. Changed it to another shader (also provided by the pack) and now it works.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  14. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

You could try to narrow down what is going on by deleting some meshes and see if things start to work. This way you should be able to figure if it's the sheer amount of meshes that's killing it or if it's a faulty mesh of some kind.

15. LunguM

LunguM

Yea that's what I did, like I said I managed to narrow down the problem to the shader the meshes were using. Just changed it to another one and now the meshes get rendered.

16. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Sorry I missed your edit. Great you found what the problem was.

17. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

What shader is not rendered on Android, 4.4.2?

CompressedMeshLoader is used if during converting terrain into mesh is enabled Compression, it is used for aligning mesh edges and does not work if mesh is set Static.

18. LunguM

LunguM

Terrain To Mesh / Legacy Shaders / Bumped / 4 Textures

19. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Hi there! Is it possible to output a splat-texture that is larger than 512x512 ?

20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Splat-map and Height-map are extracted in original size, only Base-map can be baked in any resolution.

br0kenp0ly likes this.
  21. abcdls0905

abcdls0905

When I converted more than four maps will appear dark spots?

22. abcdls0905

abcdls0905

When I converted more than four maps will appear dark spots?

Attached Files:

23. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Try new version v2018.2
    If still have questions use support E-Mail: vacuumshaders@gmail.com with more details:
    • Unity version and build target.
    • OS
    • Project color space.
    • Asset purchase invoice.

24. LunguM

LunguM

If you convert with more than 4 textures, the first 4 in the list will be black (see attached files). I've tried with 6 and 7 textures as well, just did a quick paint on the terrain and converted it, same result. First 4 textures that are placed into the Splatmap are black.

Edit: Also this is with the new version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  25. Gooren

Gooren

Android build failed because of the Runtime_OBJExporter.cs file containing a UnityEditor using etc. I had to put it's entire source code in the #if UNITY_EDITOR pre-processor directives. This happened with the last version from the Asset Store.

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Please, use support E-Mail: vacuumshaders@gmail.com with more details:
    • Unity version and build target.
    • OS
    • Project color space.
    • Asset purchase invoice.

27. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Runtime_OBJExporter.cs script is just an example, it uses UnityEditror directive (as an example).
    If you do not need those example scripts it is safe to remove them completely.

28. MostHated

MostHated

Hello, can this do batch jobs? I need to convert 400 all at once, I don't want to do them one at a time. : /

29. MostHated

MostHated

Hey, my apologies, I just saw this post I quoted after I had already bought the tool. Is there anyway you can give a bit more detailed of an example? I am not great with API stuff, which is kind of why I bought a graphical tool to convert my meshs to begin with. I spent 5+ hours looking for a tool that can convert multiple terrains (several hundred) to meshes, then I went and searched back through the thread and saw you say it would be included in the next update, so I bought the materializer suite thinking that this would be the case.

If it is, in fact, the case can you please possibly throw together a simple script that perhaps I can select all my terrains that I need converted and then hit run, or if I need to drag all of them into a list or something that is fine. I as well as probably many other people would be greatly appreciative as there doesn't seem to be any other tools out there that can batch convert a bunch of terrains to meshes. If there was, I would have bought it. TerrainComposer 2 says it can do it, but I checked all the documentation and all of the tutorial videos and could find nothing on that either. So, unfortunately, that was a waste.

Thanks!

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Next week's update will include batch converter.

31. MostHated

MostHated

Fantastic news! Thank you very much. I will be eagerly waiting. : )

32. MostHated

MostHated

When you convert unity terrain, I was going to just use the output terrain as LOD because I thought it was just going to be a simple mesh, it has the actual terrain item on it though,so I am a bit confused, I thought Unity terrain was different and a lot heavier of an item than just a mesh? What exactly is the end result? Is it real terrain, or a mesh? Do I need to even still use my original terrain, is there any benefit to using the Unity terrain for close up (world Streamer) and this for long distance, or do I just use this for all of it? I use MicroSplat and Vegetation Studio yet they both work on this? Did it actually reduce its necessary performance hogging that standard Unity terrain would take up?

P.S. Any ETA on the update? Can't wait to finally get all my terrain converted!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  33. jnbbender

jnbbender

Question - T2M says chunking is good for mobiles. I guess that implies IT'S chunking feature is good for mobiles. But in order to do anything with chunked terrains or meshes don't you need a streamer like World Streamer or SECTR Stream?

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

After generating mesh manually remove MicroSplat script (custom scripts are not removed by T2M) from the prefab and then Terrain script.

Already released.

There is no IT's chunking, terrain is just split into multiple pieces. You can manage their loading with any tool you like.

35. MostHated

MostHated

I have Mesh Materializer, I didn't see any recent updates.

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Terrain To Mesh asset has been updated. Mesh Materializer will be updated later.

If you've purchased directly Mesh Materializer (without upgrading from Terrain To Mesh), contact me using vacuumshaders@gmail.com and I can provide latest Terrain To Mesh asset.

37. Dreamer

Dreamer

I'm having a issue with the plugin.
    The texture appears to be different from original Terrain as in the attachment.

Attached Files:

38. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

If using Splatmap in Linear color space, make sure sRGB options is disabled for texture file in TextureImporter.
    Note, T2M can bake only Unity's built-in terrain shaders. Custom shaders can not be baked.

39. mily1012

mily1012

hi,version 2018.3 can support unity2017.3.0f3???

40. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

2018.3 is asset version (third update in 2018), not Unity version.
    It works with Unity 2017.3

41. mily1012

mily1012

thanks,i bought it

42. mily1012

mily1012

I have a question,Can T2M Shader support Lightmap and Shadows?

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes.

44. SkygodGames

SkygodGames

Im using Unity 2017.3.1

Anyone knows why my mesh materializer won't load?

Attached Files:

45. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Completely remove MM from the project, clear Asset Store cache folder and re-download asset.

SkygodGames likes this.
  46. MoribitoMT

MoribitoMT

Mobile performance question

Hi, since unity terrains cause poor performance on android devices, i used this tool, got better performance.

However fps is still low and having lags, can you create a type of shaders for mobile devices ( specially for Android, ios has no problems), also any more suggestions on converting to meshes, i tried low vertex, more chunks, still no significant improvements

Regards.

47. MaximilianPs

MaximilianPs

Can it convert multiple terrains in mesh.... in batch?

48. Leonid

Leonid

Hello! Does one-directional light shader supports baked and dynamic shadows at the same time?
    Thank you.

49. Aldrick

Aldrick

Hi,@Arkhivrag

I just bought this tool under some fellow colleague's advice and I am not so familiar with it.
    Here is a question that I encounter:

My test terrain has 4 splats,every one of which has a diffuse map and a normal map.
    We need lightmap + 1 directional realtime light to meet our visual needs.Below is the original Unity terrain after being baked,and with a realtime directional light,and this look is correct:
    upload_2018-4-25_15-52-1.png

And after we convert it to mesh using your T2M,I found that only this shader can receive a realtime light after baked:
    upload_2018-4-25_15-35-25.png

But there appears noisy speculars that look like pixel grains in the blending area between different splats.Why is that?
    upload_2018-4-25_16-3-59.png

And how to solve this,please?

Attached Files:

50. Nairda_Draziw

Nairda_Draziw

Hi, your asset sounds promising to us. Our concern is a performance on mobile devices but keeping visual quality at the good level. So, converting Unity Terrain into a Mesh is a way to go for us. However, there is one thing that prevents us from buying this asset. Many people asked for exporting the grass from Unity Terrain and the response was that your asset does not support this.

May we ask if you plan at all to support this feature or is it definite that your asset will not support it?

Being able to fully convert Unity Terrain into a Mesh without a hassle would make your asset golden, brilliant, perfect and we are sure that many developers would appreciate it.