Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Terrain Texture like in modern World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'World Building' started by WaAllin, Aug 19, 2023.

1. WaAllin

WaAllin

Hi!
    I feel like I searched the whole Internet with the intent to crack the question how the terrain textures in World of Warcraft looks so crisp on the edges (it looks like there is no blending between terrain textures).

For example, please look at the edge between the roads and the grass texture, it looks so sharp compared to the basic texture layering in Unity:

The terrain texture brush in Unity has always soft edges, even when the settings are all set to a hard edge brush. Why is that the case? Is it because the terrain has to few polygons?
    I thought maybe they use partial transparent terrain textures but I found no information about that. The only slightly useful information I found, was in a BlizzCon 2013 Art Panel Video. But it doesn't explain the edges.

Can someone please enlighten me? How does the edges between the grass texture and the path texture looks so crisp? How could I achieve that effect?

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
  2. Flavelius

Flavelius

Look for 'Height based blending'. Microsplat for example has this built-in (free Terrain shader, although potentially a bit complicated to use if you're new). But there are likely other default unity-terrain shader replacements that do this aswell.

WaAllin likes this.
  3. WaAllin

WaAllin

Thank you very much! I managed to put a shader together which does this.
    I hope I manage to put it into the terrain tool also.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

Another thing to consider is your Detail Resolution settings, under terrain settings. The higher the resolution, the better it looks, the lower the resolution, it starts to look pixelated and squared. Personally i use 2048 or 4096, high enough res to help with texture edge blending.

But please remember, this is Unity, not a blizzard engine, they are very different...