Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Smoothing versus Heightmap Density

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by shenanigans, Jan 3, 2021.

1. shenanigans

shenanigans

This week I'm starting with the Unity terrain system, and while playing with heightmap resolution and terrain size / tiling I ran into a frustrating issue - the Smooth Height brush loses its effectiveness with large brush sizes relative to the heightmap density! It seems as if the averaging function is capped at some fixed number of pixels on the heightmap regardless of the Brush Size setting - something fairly low like 64. This restrains smoothing enough to make small environment modeling difficult at modestly excessive detail densities like 8 pixels per meter.

So obviously I can scale back my detail goals a little bit from 8/m but I still find this frustrating. I'm aggressively tiling and fogging this area so I'd hoped to be able to go a little nuts on the detail. BUT a configuration where I can't use Smooth effectively is a no-go for me.

Anybody else run into this issue? Maybe the limit is hardware-related and I can improve it with a long-overdue GPU upgrade? Comments from devs? Beuller?