Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Shadow Cast

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by User340, Apr 14, 2008.

1. User340

User340

I created a script which casts shadows from the terrain. Just place this script onto a terrain and press play. It's about 90% done, I just have a few more things I have to fix up. What do you guys think of it?

Demo:
    http://webgames3d.com/TerrainShadows.html

Attached Files:

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Aha, so this is what you were asking about the terrain mesh for. ;) Use Terrain.SampleHeight instead of raycasting; it will be faster. Since you can figure the size of the array to begin with, it would also be faster to just use built-in arrays instead of dynamic arrays and Push(). Given that you're just doing it once, that's not a big deal...however, having an entire mesh the size of the terrain with an alpha shader might be a bit hard on the fill rate of the graphics card; ideally you'd create a mesh just big enough for the shadow(s) and deform it on the fly. Of course, that's harder....

--Eric

3. yangmeng

yangmeng

This sounds cool. I gave it a try but got this warning: "Shader wants texture coordinates but the mesh doesn't have them"...

4. User340

User340

It does slow the frame rate down some, but if you really want the terrain to cast shadows onto objects, this works. Here's a link to a demo.

http://webgames3d.com/TerrainShadows.html

Feel free to modify or optimize the script.

5. tim

tim

Nice job, thanks for sharing!

6. holmeren

holmeren

hmm I dont see any shadows on the terrain from the moving box...