Search Unity

Terrain Random Tree Rotation

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jister, Oct 19, 2015.

1. jister

jister

according to the docs there should be a slider for random tree rotation for all trees. i don't see it there in Unity 5.2.1f1? only the speedtree assets for unity have a toggle for random rotation.
    I have see that this is in the issuetracker but that just says in didn't work in previous versions.
    my question is did it get removed? because the issue is marked as resolved (which it clearly is not) maybe by removing the option :)
    Screen Shot 2015-10-20 at 00.24.27.png

2. jister

jister

nobody experiencing this error/bug?
    it makes the whole unity tree object obsolete... :-(

3. mbowen89

mbowen89

I'm still in Unity 5.1 and it has a checkbox for random tree rotation.

4. jister

jister

yes the Unity Terrain Asset ones, these were made with speedtree not the unity tree object. You find this under the GameObject menu -> 3D Object.

5. mbowen89

mbowen89

I only use Unity trees, not Speedtree, and in 5.1 I have the rotation checkbox option.

6. jister

jister

would you been so kind as to see if it works :)
    as said i'm on 5.2.1 and as you can see it's not there anymore!?
    Can someone confirm that it is gone in 5.2.1...
    thanks

7. jister

jister

bump... :-(

8. jister

jister

from the docs: "There is also a control for Color Variation and Random Tree Rotation. The variation options help to create the impression of a random, natural-looking forest rather than an artificial plantation of identical trees."
    as shown above this is nowhere to be found on a unity tree, a speedtree however.

Screen Shot 2015-11-01 at 12.33.00.png

Attached Files:

9. angeliapayne

angeliapayne

Random Tree Rotation did NOT work in Unity 5.1 and I upgraded to Unity 5.3 hoping that that would fix it (after all they said it was resolved in the IssueTracker) and it appears that they just removed it as an option. To my knowledge there is no way to use random rotation other than to do it manually. What's up Unity dev?!?!

jister likes this.
  10. b4nj0

b4nj0

Same for me. Can't find a way to get random rotation for Unity Trees on my Terrain.

11. bob_the_pr_bot

bob_the_pr_bot

Same for me. Rotation doesn't work for Tree Creator trees if you set them up in code, and the checkbox isn't available in the editor.

How bizarre to go to all the trouble of implementing a fully featured tree creator, then completely ruining it by leaving out one small but necessary piece of functionality!

jister likes this.
  12. Xain

Xain

Can't find an option for that :/

13. se

se

Any updates on this? I'm using 5.5.0f3 and only the included SpeedTree trees have a checkbox for Random Tree Rotation. My own prefabs just have Color Variation.
    The docs say it should be there. It looks completely unusable without it. What's special about SpeedTree trees? Is there something I have to do to my own prefabs to make the checkbox appear?

Anjin_nz likes this.
  14. Anjin_nz

Anjin_nz

I second this. Its annoying. Also some of the rather obvious bugs could be fixed too. Resizing a terrain confuses the UI terribly.

15. se

se

@Anjin_nz: My mistake was that Random Tree Rotation is only available for prefabs with a LOD Group component.

16. zngb

zngb

OK, this is a bit strange, but I think I got it working.
    As @se suggested, a LOD group should be used in order to see the 'Auto Rotate' option. This probably happened somewhere in Unity 5.5, but don't quote me on that.

To create a tree with LOD based on the tree model I had, I read up http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/323575/creating-lod-group-for-character.html to understand how to create the LOD. Basically it's:

Taking my tree prefab which didn't want to rotate and put it as a child of an empty GameObject. On the empty GameObject, I created a LOD group component and then I could add the Mesh part of my tree prefab to the LOD group. I removed all other LOD groups besides 'Culled'. I tweaked the child prefab of the (now not) empty GameObject to my liking and saved it as a prefab. I used that prefab in my terrain tree painter and now I had my trees auto rotate. Woohoo!

I used assets from the free "Nature Starter Kit 2" https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/52977
    rotated trees.png

17. jister

jister

wow if it was that simple i wonder why no Unity Dev stepped in 2 years ago and told us???
    Thx @zingabo !

trombonaut and Demiurgy_Gaming like this.
  18. zngb

zngb

jister likes this.
  19. AvalonGamingZone

AvalonGamingZone

First of all, thanks a lot !

I have now the random rotation check box, but my custom trees are not rotated at all and even worse they are now drawn under the terrain... Any hint ? (I'm using Unity 2017.1)

Thanks,

Edit: The trees are indeed rotated but not as random as it should be but with more than one type of tree this will be ok ^^

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  20. Kingdynamite

Kingdynamite

zingabo
    Thank you!, did you noticed that wind don't affect trees with lods?

21. hajnis

hajnis

Yeah I noticed and it bothers me a lot. Dunno if its bug or just Unity trolling group.. :D

22. zngb

zngb

Hey friends, sorry for not being responsive (no notifications for some reason).
    I'm not sure about any of your issues.

I'll try helping @AvalonGamingZone , maybe check the origin of the tree on the empty father GameObject. The origin is the one placed on the terrain and if your tree is in the middle of that point it will appear as if inside the terrain.

@Kingdynamite , not sure at all about wind. Never tried that :/ Did you manage getting it work?

23. Zidoark

Zidoark

Sorry for this late update, I'm trying to create an prefab but it doesn't give me the option to, I only got Prefab Variant to choose from but that one is greyyed out so can't select it.. any suggestions?

24. Milanis

Milanis

Current issue in 2018.4.2f1
    Some prefabs can be used and having "Random Tree Rotation" in the trees options, other prefabs which are literally the same (fbx to prefab workflow) don't work as "tree" object. The show up in the tree's panel from the unity terrain placement tab with thumbnail but we can't paint them. The strange difference is that "these" have the "color variation" slider instead of the "random tree" slider which is actually at the same spot. I hope you can understand my issue at the moment and I am not sure why I just don't work. And more sad that I have to write this in a 4 year old thread.

25. BoogieD

BoogieD

Put your trees in a GameObject with LOD then paint them and you will get the 'Random Tree Rotation' checkbox. Unity automatically creates billboards for you when there is no LOD which is probably why they don't rotate them.

Gua and dingjian_miracle like this.
  26. dingjian_miracle

dingjian_miracle

solve my problem.

27. Gua

Gua

After some experiments it became clear that unity ignores random tree rotation for colliders on that tree. Any idea how to fix this?

28. Gua

Gua

29. FelixNicol

FelixNicol

Thank you zngb, a few years later this helped a lot!

30. jister

jister

Hole Macramoly! 8 years later random tree rotation is still broken as F*** for any procedural approach :eek::mad:

WhaleForge and tolunai like this.