Search Unity

terrain not working

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chubbspet, Mar 20, 2012.

1. chubbspet

chubbspet

Hi there

I have a very strange problem. My terrain tools just stopped working at some point. I don't know what I did. Only the very first tool (rais/lower terrain) works. If I select any of the other tools including tree creation etc. it selects that tool, but the functionality does not change, thus it just stays on raise/lower terrain. I have tried:

new terrain
    new project
    re-install unity
    restart computer

nothing works!!! I need this so urgently:(

Any ideas?

2. chubbspet

chubbspet

anyone?

3. cod

cod

mmm, try to lower the resolution of your terrain and delete any gameobject, and when u press on the button wait 3 seconds before moving the mouse.

BTW if u have any problem just post your hw and sw specs

4. chubbspet

chubbspet

hi

thanks cod, but no luck. It just seems to ignore any tool besides the "raise and lower terrain height" one. Even if I choose the smooth tool, it keeps raising the terrain as if that tool is selected. I'm stupmed by this. I have tried blanks projects, everything. My laptop is Core2Due, 2Gig ram, XP Servicepack 2, but bottom line this worked 100% a couple of days ago on this pc.

5. chubbspet

chubbspet

6. chubbspet

chubbspet

still looking for an answer:)

7. suicune2001

suicune2001

My only suggestion is if you've re-installed Unity and everything, do a system restore to a point before Unity messed up.

8. chubbspet

chubbspet

suicune

I just can't seem how a system restore would change anything in Unity? Also, it baffles me how a re-install did not fix the problem. Surely it must be a corrupted script or some meta data somewhere...

9. suicune2001

suicune2001

System restore is kind of my "when all else fails" solution. I've used system restores to fix all kinds of weird stuff. If re-installing Unity didn't fix the problem then maybe something else is going on that you can't pinpoint.

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

System restores and re-installing an app are rarely the solutions... I've never understood why Windows users resort to this so quickly ;-)

This is an odd issue though. Try changing the window layout under the menu item "Window/Layout". If this doesn't change anything then please submit a bug report with the project folder attached.

11. runner

runner

When loosing focus() within Unity and resorting to such measures as "Layout->Revert Factory Setting"s, is much like System Restore, To get rid of those annoying little but persistent bugs.

Between DLL hell and the system registry its not hard to fathom out the why for all. :)

12. chubbspet

chubbspet

Hey guys, thanks. Sorry to report but the problem fixed itself and I can't say what I did to fix it. Things I did was to install terrain tool kit, create emty projects, created terrains, change windows layout. I don't know but what the heck, it is sorted now;)

Thanks!

13. leenephi

leenephi

For me I can verify fixing this by deleting the terrain I had in the scene and simply dragging a new copy of it back in the scene from the project.

14. fransh

fransh

I had this problem for a while, even made a post about it a long time ago.
    I am not sure what is causing this problem, 99.99% of the time it's fine. Than all of the sudden the toolbox buttons will not respond.

But for some wierd reason, the problem is solved by setting the window layout to any different layout as adviced in this post.

Window->layout- >and pick any of these.

This works for me, i think it is really stupid, and it makes little to no sense but at least it allowed me to continue working for now.
    I have yet to figure out what action keeps causing this bug, for this is the 3th time i run into this. But at least now i have a "solution".

The quick keys do work btw, you can use (by default) the , and . keys to change brushes etc. Yet the toolbox will not update, only the visible brush on the terrain.

Thanks for this solution/fix guys.

OrionGame, ieva_lickiene and 26PM like this.
  15. Bumper

Bumper

Dude, that is on the money. Thank you for posting your fix!

16. cwhite2022

cwhite2022

This fixed me up, Thanks, was driving me crazy.

17. samurai926

samurai926

Changing the layout worked for me too, thank you.

18. 26PM

26PM

YES THIS WORKS!!!!! All I had to do was go to Window > Layout > Default. Thank you so much. Even re installing unity didn't fix this. It must be a UI bug. Thanks again.

19. Kaiser9321

Kaiser9321

Hi, I have a problem with Unity 3D with terrain.

So basically, I add terrain and mess around with stuff, it all works fine, except for trees, whenever I try to add any tree, it lags a little and places it, then when I try to zoom in to look at it, it lags for a while, and I don't know where I am, everything is gone and I don't know where to go.

Is there any solution to this? If Unity had the ability to go to cameras, that would be better so I could go back to the terrain I was editing, please answer soon!

20. Scott-WhiteBread

Scott-WhiteBread

Fransh, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I even didn't have all of terrain tools, and this layout helped! thx you so mech for help!

21. manavdis

manavdis

Well my friend chubbspet
    same things goin' on 2 my PC as well, k? can't c at all the options of being able to edit a terrain that I've created on my game scene. I've just posted that problem on here, but still no answer (just have 2 wait a bit, huh?)
    I need that as well coz I've got a project to deliver some work at the school that I am now at so to achieve my master's degree, k?

22. manavdis

manavdis

But anyways I think that we should post some images as well of that specific problem to them so that they could reproduce that error that we are into and find the solution for us. Anyways I can't see any other that might had happened, because that thing had been an issue back from the version of Unity 4.5 and on and I am saying this because there might had been an intercalary add of code from them that had altered the way that that program (Unity) is acting on us because we have already gone up to the version 5.5b1, huh? But all that time since I've been trying to achieve my gal and getting tutored by some tutorials about the correct use of the terrain editing techniques. And I'd need that specific technique because I am trying to achieve a 3d game of the battle of Marathon that had taken place back on the 490BC, OK? So I'd want to go inline the nose of those Game manufacturers that use the big Game Engine under the name of the Unreal Game Engine, which I don't think that it is sooooooo gr8 cause if it was then why not this Unity Game Engine as well, huh? (hmmm maybe it is a bug from those viri things, something that had happened to me as well). So everything is possible man, k?

23. ieva_lickiene

ieva_lickiene

Thanks a lot!;)