Search Unity

Terrain Mesh Blending

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by IllusionLoop, Nov 27, 2015.

1. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  2. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Yes, MS have blending module, but i think what your module have support this terrain too (for my country 20$ - big money).

Phanks for answer - I will be collect the amount of money for blending module for MicroSplat :)

3. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

If it is that much, you should consider not to use Terrain blending at all. There are probably other things that are more important for your project.

twobob and hippocoder like this.
  4. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Yes, you correct. While buying triplanar tesselation & terrain holes for microsplat )

5. MegaCo

MegaCo

Help, Im Trying to blend these low poly cliffs with some yellow sand terrain which I color corrected to a more grey dust. Here are some screenshots bellow: Untitled1.png Untitled.png Untitled2.png

6. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi, your 'Blend Offset' is set to -3.42. This makes the blending start below the surface of your model, so it gets transparent. Try a 'Blend Offset' of 0 or 0.1 and only adjust 'Blend' and 'Blend Gradient'.
    The issue could also be caused by a few more things, but i can't see them in your screenshots.
    Is the object static and uses lightmaps like the terrain? How did you change the sand color on the terrain?

7. ramos123

ramos123

Hi, I'm about to buy the plug-in but I'd like to know beforehand if it would be compatible with the rest of the plug-ins I use which are MapMagic, Custom Terrain Shader and Vegetation Studio

8. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi, unfortunately i cannot test other assets from the store for compatibility, but here is what i would expect:
    MapMagic and Vegetation studio should work without any issues. However, using a custom terrain shader could lead to visible seams around the objects. The blending effect will be there (it only uses the heightmap), but it is optimized for the default terrain shaders, so any extra shader-features like in CTS can cause visible seams.

You can check the features of the terrain blending asset in the online-manual: http://www.illusionloop.com/docs/terrainmeshblending.html

If you experience any issues with this asset, you can contact me using the support-email.

twobob likes this.
  9. eaque

eaque

HI,
    It would be cool if someone using CTS and this tool could post pictures of the results.
    I do suppose, as long as you don't add strong geo texture in cts, the seams shouldn't be a big problem. Does the shader support normal map + detail map?

If it can work with vegetation studio is a more important thing!
    glad to hear it should work...Any feed back would be much appreciated
    :)
    Cheers

IllusionLoop likes this.
  10. tcourbet

tcourbet

Hi,

I just purchased the plugin but nothing I do seems to make the shaders show up, whether in editor or ingame. They're all showing up as white. (refreshing on the terrain doesn't change anything, neither recreating it from scratch)

Am I missing something? (I'm using unity 2017.3.1f1)

Thanks!

11. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi,
    thanks for purchasing!
    If there are errors in shaders, objects usually appear purple. So it is more likely that some settings in your project are incorrect.
    Here are some things, that could cause an issue like this:
    - Fog is enabled in the lighting settings, but you are using deferred rendering without fog post-processing.
    Solution: turn off fog or add postprocessing to your camera to enable fog in deferred rendering.
    - Maybe this issue: https://forum.unity.com/threads/sta...white-on-standalone-and-web-platforms.289431/
    Possible solution: If you don't use standard shaders in your project you can use the bumped-diffuse terrain-blending shaders. Also you could try to test the package in a new blank project.
    - Textures missing
    Solution: Check the materials of the terrain-blending objects. If they don't use any textures, either add them manually or reimport the complete terrain blending package.

Unfortunately i was not able to recreate this issue (tested in 2017.3.1f1), so please let me know if this helped.

Kind regards,
    Lucas

Additional information:
    manual: www.illusionloop.com/docs/terrainmeshblending

12. tcourbet

tcourbet

Thanks for the quick answer!

None of the potential solutions helped unfortunately.
    I also tried importing the asset in a blank project, but I get the same issue. I tried both rendering paths and gamma/linear, with/without fog.
    The textures are not missing but the material preview is all white. (and nothing I do in the material affects the outcome)

I do get a couple of errors though:

13. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Did you try to select 'TerrainMeshBlend.cginc' (the source file mentioned in the error), rightclick and choose 'reimport'?
    This file has to be located in the directory mentioned in the error message.

14. tcourbet

tcourbet

The package had been moved and restoring it to its original place fixed the issue.
    Thanks for the help!

15. polysoft3D

polysoft3D

Hello!
    What is the difference MicroSplat - Terrain Blending and your ?
    Possible blend 2 terrain texture on one mesh?

16. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi,
    MicroSplat requires the MicroSplat framework, this one is for Unity's built in terrain shaders.
    You can only blend one texture per material.

17. Hexer_

Hexer_

Did anyone manage to make it work on 2019?
    I'm not getting any errors, it just doesn't work

M_R_M likes this.
  18. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi, I'm sorry that you are experiencing issues with this asset. I just tried with Unity 2019.1.4f1 and it worked as expected.
    Did you try the demo scene? Are you using a custom rendering pipeline? If you need help with the setup, please use the support e-mail address.

Hexer_ likes this.
  19. Hexer_

Hexer_

Thank you for replying!
    I'm not using any custom or preview RP, just the standard one.
    I tried it out again but here's how my demo scene looks..
    The problem is probably because I'm using 2019.3.0a4

Attached Files:

20. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi, sorry for the delay.
    I also tried with 2019.3.0a5. The only issue i could find was, that the texture alpha (used as smoothness) didn't work correctly. To fix this i had to set 'use alpha smoothness' of the blending materials to 0.
    After applying this fix, the blending worked fine.
    After taking a closer look at your screenshot, i noticed, that you might be using linear color space. You might have to refresh the blending after making certain changes to the rendering settings or the terrain (click refresh on the blending script attached to the terrain. More info in the manual: http://illusionloop.webflow.io/docs/terrain-mesh-blending).
    Unfortunately i don't have that much information about your setup, so it's hard to tell, what is causing this issue.

Hexer_ likes this.
  21. Hexer_

Hexer_

@IllusionLoop you are right, I am using Linear color space. Thank you for the advice, I will try out the proposed solution today! :)

22. Hexer_

Hexer_

Problem solved, thank you! :D

IllusionLoop likes this.
  23. gecko

gecko

Just purchased this, trying to set up an overlay shader (on the right)-- but it doesn't blend like the regular shader does (on the left). Settings are the same on both. Using Unity 2018.3.4 on Mac, Forward/Linear. I must be doing something wrong, but haven't figured it out yet...any suggestions?

regular and overlay shader.jpg

24. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

It's a little hard to tell what is causing the issue based on the image. It almost looks like the blending effect is there, but more transparent than it should be.

Here are some things you could check / try:

- check if the overlay material is in the blend-materials list

- refresh the blendmaps(button of the component added to the terrain)

- check how the overlay shader looks below the terrain (blend offset might be wrong)

- check the overlay only

- try to change the rendering queue of the overlay material (higher might fix it, lower might make the overlay disappear)

25. oceanq

oceanq

A feature request for your consideration - it would be cool if the blend could be modulated with an (alpha) texture, so as to better show grass/moss patchily going up the side of the blended object, rather than being a clean, simple lerp.

Thanks,
    Ocean

26. oceanq

oceanq

Quick question about how the blending material works with lightmaps? I'm using Diffuse Simple, and it almost looks like the blend texture is being added after the lightmap? It's like the blend "Terrain Texture" is emissive. Any advice?

27. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi,
    sorry for the delay. Technically the materials should support lightmaps. However, it is likely that the lighmapper produces seams between the objects and the terrain, because it ignores the modified normals of the blending shader. So finetuning the lighmapping settings might be difficult. For best results I would not recommend to use lightmaps. You could try to lightmap the terrain and use lightprobes for the objects.
    I'll try to find out if it is possible to somehow read the terrain lightmap in the shader, but it might not work.

28. M_R_M

M_R_M

Using any of the Custom/TerrainMeshBlend shaders gives me the blank/error pink shader. Using linear color space and the LWRP in 2019.1.9f1.

Any ideas what might be causing it?

29. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi, this tool only supports the standard rendering pipeline. I'll contact you.

30. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Where can I get this tool. It says its been removed from asset store?.

31. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Unfortunately it is no longer available. It has been removed, because it no longer works seamlessly with newer releases of unity. I'll update this thread.

32. Xulain-SineSpace

Xulain-SineSpace

Out of interest what was it they broke?. I suspect it was probably something to do with how you made the join line disappear?.

33. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Unity released a few new features like the scriptable render pipeline. This required more variants of the same asset. Since this asset was already quite old I decided to remove it from the store.

34. newlife

newlife

Hello, is this working in Unity 2019 with standard unity terrain shader? I would like it use it in a mobile project.

35. IllusionLoop

IllusionLoop

Hi. Unfortunately this tool is no longer available. It might work, but does not support the mask map.
    Also i would not recommend to use effects like this on mobile platforms. Usually you can add other details that have a bigger impact on visual quality and less impact on performance. You might also want to use a terrain shader that uses less textures (like diffuse).