Search Unity

Terrain mesh blending extension: Why haven't I seen a post for this?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PrimeDerektive, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lazygunn

lazygunn

i think you misunderstand

you can just lower the terrain at any point where the cave would burrow into, the cave would be a mesh consisting of the cave interior, the exterior of the cave where the walls have to go to blend into the surrounding terrain, and the floor above the cave where it would have to go over the interior until it can blend into where the terrain is no longer lowered to accomodate the cave mesh. You don't dig horizontally into the terrain, you lower the terrain everywhere the cave interior will be and the mesh will replace the terrain until it can blend back in.

2. janpec

janpec

Yes thats exactly what i mean, and with all those explanations i still have no idea how its done, or more especially if terrain vertexes are stretched until certain point, i guess you can have only straight and small cave, if i am wrong please correct me.

If thats the case i think that actually making huge cave opening would fix the problem, you would just need to cover cave mouth with stones. In that case it would work in certain occassions.

3. lazygunn

lazygunn

I feel like i should explain with pictures haha. Imagine you have a terrain cliff, and you want a cave to go into it, this can be a long and winding cave if you wish. Everywhere the cave goes, you lower the terrain where it would be, from the mouth inwards. Then you replace the entire chunk with an appropriately textured mesh (The insides, the cliff wall, the ground above), and blend the edges. As you should probably be using rock meshes for sharp inclines of terrain anyways any 'seams' should be easy to patch up but i can imagine it would be perfectly possible to do it without.

4. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Ohhh right I get it. Basically make a valley and put a cave roof mesh on top. They kinda do that for the tunnel in the car example project from the resources section.

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh you said it much better than i did! Yes that, cept now you can blend it i suppose

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i really don’t know exactely how quickfingers does it but i am sure i know it quite well:
    he cuts a whole in the terrain (done by a mcustomized version of the color map shader and a trigger which disables the terrain collider at the given point), then he fills the gap with a custom modeled mesh that he blends perfectly with the terrain using stuassets blending tool.
    so any kind or size or whatever of cave is possible without having to deform the terrain at all.

watch: http://video.unity3d.com/video/7234005/london-unity-usergroup-15
    (look for the terrain and tweaks cue point)

lars

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  7. lazygunn

lazygunn

Your link doesnt work but the explanation makes sense! Well, how do you cut away the actual surface of the terrain (Not just the collision)? Can you make the faces not render? I suppose it might explain in that video, but thats really cool. Definitely less mesh modelling involved.

8. MrScary

MrScary

Does this tool work with the T4M SC terrain shaders/tools?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

how did you make that beutiful terrain i see in the background???

looks great-i really want to know cos any terrain tools-generators i find either dont work for unity 4.0 or are just plain rubish

what did you use "Quickfingers"?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  10. tomato_comet

tomato_comet

Wow this is a very necessary tool. I will buy it when I advance my game development deeper. I have been going over so many messy discussions on building caves into terrain. I wished I could import a cave mesh but not have to deal with messy seams when combining it with terrain. And now I find I can simply blend the seem away. Wish I found this tool sooner.

11. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

Is this a dead project? Developer is inactive from community...

12. unicoea

unicoea

It can only use in deferred lighting,not in forward. someone know how to fix it?

13. lazygunn

lazygunn

rtp gives you this, a shader providing up to 12 textures with parallax occlusion mapping and even integration with new pbr based shading for materials (coming soon), and loads more. you want something as an ultimate terrain solution, there you go

14. JGarcia91

JGarcia91

sir the shaderis pink...? how to fix this?

Attached Files:

15. ZJP

ZJP

16. eaque

eaque

Hello guys,

This tool at 125euros!!!!!!! seems forgoten by his own creator, should be deleted from the asset store!