Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain lowering?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Velo222, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Velo222

Velo222

Hello,

Can anyone confirm or deny if we are able to "lower" terrain (using the built-in terrain system) below the default height? That is to say, can we create canyons/valleys/low-spots in the terrain somehow?

I can't seem to figure out how. In 4.x I am able to lower the terrain below default level, but not in 5.0 currently. Is this the case?

2. pietro.denicola

pietro.denicola

The default height is zero. And you can't lower the terrain below zero. But that won't prevent you to raise the whole terrain by a certain height and then carve the canyons, valleys, etc. below that value.

To raise the whole terrain at 200 for example, just select the "Paint Height" tool, set the "Height" parameter at 200 and click on the "Flatten" button. Then still use the "Paint Height" tool to carve the canyons. Just set the "Height" parameter at a value below 200 and select proper brush, brush size, opacity for your carving.

sfarbota and Polovski like this.
  3. Velo222

Velo222

Thanks for the tip pietro! I will test this now.

I know about raising the terrain, but I didn't raise it via the "paint height tool" only by changing the "y" transform value of the terrain. If I raise it above "zero" simply by the transform alone, it still doesn't work (and it did in 4.x). But like I said, I havn't tried "raising" the terrain with the paint height tool yet, so I'm gonna try that now.

Edit: Ok I just tested it, and you are correct pietro, the new "flatten" option on the paint height tool is what allows it to behave the same way as in 4.x previously! Thank you very much, I am very happy right now :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014