Search Unity

Terrain looks different after upgrading to Unity 2018 from 5.5

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Raidenwins, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Raidenwins

Raidenwins

I recently upgraded from Unity 5.5 to Unity 2018 3.3.f1 and now my terrain looks lighter than before. This is what it looked like originally:

upload_2019-2-7_20-19-42.png

And now, in Unity 2018 3.3.f1, it looks much brighter:
    upload_2019-2-7_20-21-2.png

Any ideas why?

2. Raidenwins

Raidenwins

Sorry for the bump, but I am still stuck on this. Any ideas why an upgrade to Unity 2018 3.3.f1 would cause the terrain to turn that much brighter?

3. Reshima

Reshima

Without knowing your scene a bit better, it's hard to tell.

A few things that came to my mind:

- If this is using Unity Terrain, make sure your splatmap is working properly. They've changed the terrain system recently and you have to create layers for each texture. It should work though, so probably not the root cause.
    - Bake the lightmap: select the terrain, mark as static, then bake the lightmap (Window > Rendering > Lighting Settings > Generate Lighting).

4. Raidenwins

Raidenwins

I tried to bake the lightmaps in the scene, but it was taking such a long time that I had to cancel it. Any tips on making it go faster? The terrain in question is pretty big, with a number of game objects in the scene as well. I should also mention that i've never used lightmaps before so I don't understand how that can cause this problem.

Here are the properties of the terrain, in case it helps diagnose the problem (notice the folder _TerrainAutoUpgrade that appeared under my Project tab after upgrading to Unity 2018.3.3.f1):

Also, one other thing I tried was changing the Color Space property from Gamma to Linear, which did make the terrain a bit darker, although as dark as it should be. In addition, that also made all of my interfaces in the scene look washed out:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019