Search Unity

Terrain - import targetting multi tile setup

Discussion in 'World Building' started by cygnusprojects, Oct 17, 2018.

1. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

The thing I mostly struggle with is setting up my terrain heights when dealing with multi terrain setups. So a feature request for the new terrain system was to have the possibility to:
    - assign heights to multiple terrain tiles based upon 1 height map
    - when having exported tiles from fi world machine just make it work out of the box, currently one has to flip Y or X or both, just fiddling to get things right. Would be nice if we can bypass this burden and start creating the actual world right away.
    Just my 2 cents on what would be a real time saver for me (and probably for a lot of others out there as well).

2. DCIPRO

DCIPRO

I agree with this suggestion!

It would be extremely useful to be able to import a large geographical area heightmap into a grid of multiple small terrains, so edge stitching is automatic and so resources can be saved in the final game by only loading small terrains as needed but still having the ability to cover a vast (nearly infinite) area. As it is now, each individual terrain tile needs its own raw heightmap and I'm having trouble generating multi-tile heightmaps to cover a large enough area without having stitching issues.

This is one thing I feel could propel unity into the forefront and make all competitors both envious and fearful of Unity's power and draw hoards of new devs to the unity engine...

3. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

We just released a package that does most of this. You can import a heightmap and split it amongst multiple Terrain tiles. The package is called Terrain Tools and you can get it from Package Manager

Here's a link to our blog post that went out this week: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/28/speed-up-your-work-with-the-new-terrain-tools-package/

There's currently an issue with the Noise tools in the package and I should have the fix out in a new package release soon

jorikito likes this.